Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-17-2005, 10:10 AM   #1  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Default New Forum? Are you pregnant/nursing?

Greetings all!!
I am normally at the 100 club. There seems to be a lot of us there that are pregnant - must be all the water we drink
Well.. I pm the 3FC and suggested maybe a special forum for us pregnant or nursing moms that have weight issues.
What a better place to start then right here with the support forum?

A little intro about me..
My name is Dana and I've been hanging around 3FC forever. I've met some wonderful people!!
I just delivered my son last Tuesday, February 8th!!! I still posted on the beloved 100lb club through out my pregnancy. While I wasn't "dieting" I try to stay somewhat in control of what I ate and didn't give myself a licence to "pig out" - trust me, there were days that I did!
I gained 11 lbs - my goal was a max of 20 lbs.
I am currently nursing - and the weight seems to coming off nicely, without much effort. I'm not sure how long I'm going to nurse - it's sooooo hard!

So... if you are looking for support THIS IS THE PLACE!

Dana
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 12:06 PM   #2  
Rez Nurse

Height: 5'11"

I'm the mother of a 4 month old baby boy. I'm breastfeeding and started WW about 3 weeks ago. I'm not sure how long I'm going to breastfeed.
My weight after my pregnancy was lower than it was before I was pregnant. I was sick the whole time. The good thing is I have a healthy happy baby!
nursechic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 12:10 PM   #3  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

Hi nursechic!

Nursing for 4 months.. that's awesome! Does it get easier? I feel like I'm ready to quit any second!
Do you believe that nursing helps promote weight lose?

I used to do WW - I know you used to get 10 extra points for nursing. Does it still work that way?

Dana
Old 02-17-2005, 12:43 PM   #4  
Rez Nurse

The first couple of weeks was hard. I almost gave up after a week. Now it is a lot easier especially at night. I love it but I don't see myself doing it for a whole year. Don't give up. Sometimes I felt a little secluded but you'll get into a routine.
On WW you are allowed an additional 10 pts.
The first few weeks of breastfeeding I did lose weight.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:55 PM   #5  

I think a forum specifically to discuss pregnancy, etc. would be good. I have noticed the 100+ board has a LOT of these posts which I have no interest in. So I think it would be a good idea to give them their own place.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 07:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Ouch I knew it would only be a matter of time until the pregnant posts annoyed someone. good move making our own place.

I'm Gretchen. Just 12 weeks pregnant today. Feeling like a pig! I've tried to monitor what I eat, its not as easy as one would imagine. Especially when you have massive cravings!

I lost 73 lbs pre-pregnancy and am planning my plan of attack for post pregnancy. I plan to breast feed-- it seems like the way to go for so many reasons.

I've become emotional lately... UGH! But I am happy about having a baby!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 01:19 AM   #7  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Thumbs up Great idea, Dana!

Hi there -- most decidedly UNpregnant here! -- but I wanted to give my preggo (and formerly preggo) friends from the 100 lb. forum some support and a friendly hello! You go, goils! And with the number of you that have become, as they say, "with child," drinking the water is beginning to scare me a little!

Great idea, Dana ~ and my best to all of you! Eat your spinach!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 10:30 AM   #8  
Learning to love ME!

Nursing mom, here! I also hang out at the 100 lb. club.

Dana, nursing most definitely does get easier!!! I had such a hard time at the start--my son lost weight, was constantly nursing, I was pumping and constantly having to wash bottles, I was sore, and I got mastitis twice. But once he was big enough to nurse in the side-lying position (I think around 5 weeks, but it may have been sooner), everything changed. It became a joy to nurse. Plus we co-sleep so I got a lot more sleep than my non-nursing mom friends who had to get up, fix a bottle and sit up feeding baby several times a night. My son just turned one, and I'm still breastfeeding (although I'm trying to wean him). I remember standing in my kitchen crying when ds was 3 weeks old, telling my mom I just couldn't do this (breastfeeding), but I'm so glad I stuck with it.

As far as weight loss goes, I lost 33 pounds out of the 39 pounds I gained within 6 weeks without doing anything to try. However, I later gained back 14 pounds, I think when my son started on solids. I've since lost all the pregnancy weight, but I think the maximum benefit for weight loss is within the first few months.
Gypsydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 04:32 PM   #9  
maintainer wannabe

Hi, I'm pretty new to 3FC. I hang out at 100 lbs club too. I've been pg or nursing most of my adult life lol. I think this is a great idea.

Dana, another vote for it does get easier. Nursing is hard the first few weeks then it gets much easier.

Catherine EDD#11 June 24th <--Amnio says GIRL!
hw/sw(pg)/cw/gw
272/258/241/155
mabear's homepage
mabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 10:43 AM   #10  
Rez Nurse

Isn't nursing and co-sleeping wonderful! I woke up this morning around 3am and my 4 month old was already latched on and going to town. ha ha ha I only breastfed my daughter (who is now 12 going on 35) about 6 weeks. Back then it was a little harder for me.

Sarah- Love your BLOG! Go girl!
Old 02-19-2005, 12:42 PM   #11  
WW Moderator

Hey Gretchen, congrats on the pregnancy! Very exciting!

Sarah, great, new, vibrant avatar! Nice to see your pretty face by your words. How are you feeling?

Dana, I didn't know you had your baby. My 'baby' just turned 12 on the 11th. Seems February is a popular birth month. Must be Spring Fever that hits us the year before!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 08:11 AM   #12  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

Hi all! I don't visit as much as I used to with a new born and all!
We found out Elijah is tongue tied - which might be the reason that it's sometimes hard to nurse. We have an appointment with an ENT on Monday - thinking about getting it clipped.
I'm still nursing.. and it is getting easier. I think Eli is going through a growth spurt. After nursing him about every 40 mins for over 3 hours I gave in and gave him a bottle... he ate over 2 oz - so I think my "wells" were dry. He then slept for 3 hours. I understand the theory of supply/demand - but when it's late all I want is sleep!!!

People ask me what kind of gift do you want for the baby? I say - a cleaning maid and 8 hours of sleep!!!
Complete strangers say: Oh I'd love to hold him!! I say - come by my house at 3am and hold him. They just give me a strange look like why would I want to do that?

Gretchen .. how are you feeling? You probably should start to feel better now.
Catherine.. You are getting pretty close. Thanks for the encouragement about nursing!
Old 02-28-2005, 10:02 AM   #13  
Learning to love ME!

Hi, all! Dana, it looks like the baby weight (and then some!) is just falling off of you! Congratulations! And good for you for sticking with nursing. When my son was a newborn, people made me think nursing was an all or nothing thing--either you breastfeed or you formula feed. I was going crazy because my son was losing weight, and even supplementing with pumping I couldn't keep up with his demand. Then a very compassionate woman from La Leche League told me it didn't have to be an all or nothing proposition, and even if my son occasionally had a bottle, he was still benefitting from breastmilk. I just think it's so much easier to nurse (and it will keep getting easier!). I hate all of the washing and boiling of bottles.
Gypsydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 12:39 AM   #14  

I am a nursing mama. I forgot to mention that in my intro thread. 21 months now. I'm ready to wean, he's not. It gets confusing because my husband is constantly deploying or on missions, and I think the "baby" enjoys some stability. I'm ready to be done with it though LOL

Nursing has nothing to do with my weight gain though, pure laziness
-n
sewmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 02:05 PM   #15  

Default On the right track

Nursing mama here
Ds is now 1mo and nursing has become a piece of cake now .I also have a dd who is 2yo so busy busy but I love it .
I gained a good 55 lbs with ds and am slowly losing .I am not sure the nursing is helping me lose weight or not but I am watching what I eat religiously and exercise 5x /week.
My ticker needs to be updated as it was set up after I had dd and I only want to shoot to 120lbs instead of 115..we'll see.
I started this pregnancy at about 125lbs and ended it at 180 ouch
I now hover around the 150's and have 30 more to go obviously. I amshooting to be at my final goal toward the end of august..woohooo.
I amlooking forward to seeing a thread for nursing mamas..

180/153/120
ellasmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote