Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-11-2005, 12:32 AM   #1  

Exclamation Please help m!!

Hey ladies... I need help! I am 5-9 and 280 lbs... yes... but the weight is decieving as I am a size 20, which still isnt good. I have lots of muscle, which is what makes the scale so decieving. I was an avid softball and volleyball player but after my dad's death at 17 and a few other terrible experiences, I just lost my will to care about how I looked and hit a terrible period of my life. I am also 22 years old and want my life back! I am despirate to get this weight off and feel like a "normal" person. I would die to shop anywhere, get noticed, get my self esteem back and I want to just feel good about being me. I am in a new place, I moved to North Carolina about 2 years ago and am so self conscious about myself in a new place that I havent made many friends. I would love advice on how to STICK with exercise and a healthy lifestyle for more than a week and a buddy is willing to help me, as I am willing to help them. Please, please help me!! Kim
kimmykristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 01:55 AM   #2  

Hi Kim and welcome!
It appears you may be depressed and more than just a bit blue. Have you thought of having counselling – I think you call it therapy over there. I know I couldn’t start to lose weigh until I regained my confidence and self esteem. Other than that there are a lot of diet programmes that offer ongoing support which is what I think you need. Please- speak to your doctor who should be able to point you in the right direction and remember that weight lose does not come easily, requires your full commitment and a life long lifestyle change - but the reward is well worth the sacrifice as you too will find out.

Bev
Bee Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 08:31 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I think the best way to start is to make small changes that you can stick with for life. Jumping into an extreme exercise plan and strict diet all at once can "burn some people out" and they get discouraged and quit after a few weeks.
Start slow. Make small, healthy changes at first. If you drink a lot of sodas, Kool-Aid or Snapples-switch to drinking water all day-and if you have a soda now and then make it a diet one. Switch from having sugar in your coffee or tea to Splenda. The easiest calories to cut out in your diet are the ones you drink.
If you do no exercise right now at all-aim for something beginner level at first. It can be very discouraging to try to get through a 4 mile Walk Away The Pounds tape or an advanced level Pilates video if you haven't exercised in 6 months. You have to start at and respect your current fitness level. You also have to do something you like. I hate volleyball and softball-so it wouldn't be good for me to join a team for exercise. I would hate every minute of it. Instead I walk, take dance lessons, do yoga, and strength train. If you don't like to run/jog-then by all means don't do that for your exercise. Think about what physical activities you enjoy. There are videos and classes for just about everything-martial arts, tap dancing-you name it! Find something you will enjoy doing, and you are more likely to stick with it.
*If you need any suggestions on beginning a workout-pm me. Let me know what you have available at home as far as equipment-and if you prefer working out in a gym, outdoors or at home.*
Think about your eating habits. Where can small changes be made? Cutting calories can be pretty painless. You can cut them just about anywhere with small changes.
You also have to decide if you want to join a structured plan (Weight Watchers, South Beach, Body For Life, etc.) or if you just want to cut calories on your own. If you want to join a structured plan-then you have to join the group (like WW) or read the book THOROUGHLY.
I think the biggest part for me was to learn to start putting myself first. I was used to doing for everyone else-and I never did anything for myself. Now my classes and exercise time is for ME. I do some of the little things I never used to do before-such as take bubble baths, paint my toenails, and use scented body lotion-just little things to make myself feel better. You have to take care of YOU.
Please let us know how you are doing-and think over how you would like to start.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote