Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-09-2005, 07:54 PM   #1  

Default nvm

nvm

Last edited by KyGirl; 02-09-2005 at 10:47 PM.
KyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 09:38 PM   #2  

For me, if I waited to be "motivated" to exercise, I'd never do it. I think it's just something you have to COMMIT to, until you do it long enough to find the pleasure in it, or at least until it becomes a habit.

I have to remove obsticles -- for example, the fitness center I belong to is not large and has few amenities, but it's right on the way home. I have tapes at home, too. Every activity is something I LIKE to some degree, and I don't set huge idealistic goals or construct elaborate schedules about how much I'll do. I just commit to doing SOMETHING, and I usually wind up doing more than I may have planned because I find it feels good once I get started and warmed up. There are some days where I don't have "the juice" and I fall a little short, but I feel good about having gotten in some activity and living up to my commitment.

Starting with a brisk 10-minute walk a few days per week is something, and better than you're doing now. Start there and work up.

Forget about motivation, kicks in the butt, calling yourself names, whatever. That doesn't help anybody. What does help is making an adult committment to moving your body for your health and well-being.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 10:46 PM   #3  

nvm
Old 02-11-2005, 10:31 AM   #4  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I have to admit that it took me forever to get into a good exercise routine. I started out slow, and built up over time. One tip I read one time, which helped me, is not to even get into the mental debate of should I or shouldn't I exercise. Just do it. Like funniegirl says, for me more than loving the exercise (and I've gotten to like it), having the habit has made a big difference. Don't let your brain defeat you, because it's all mental.

Two other thing I've done is to give myself rewards for little goals (clothes, bath gel, CDs, whatever floats your boat), and I keep a detailed journal. Hang in there
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 10:48 AM   #5  

I agree that exercise has to become habit. There is something out there for everyone. So, even if you hate it all right now, pick the one thing you dislike the least and stick with it. Soon enough, the exercise itself will be routine and you may feel more adventuous and decide to start trying out other things. Eventually, you'll find what you love, or at least something that you enojy enough to keep going.

Personally, I can't stand to miss a day of exercising these days. And it isn't because I feel guilty if I do. My body actually CRAVES the feeling it gets when I have a good workout. I was very surprised the first time I felt that way because I have been quite a couch potato in the past.

Just make yourself do it and it won't be long before it is just like any other routine in your life. You'll do it without even thinking because, well, it is just one of those things that you do.

Good Luck!
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 07:57 PM   #6  
Blue Bunny Butt

S/C/G: 304/304/180

Height: 6'1"

Wow...Kygirl, that is lazy! Only able to type 3 letters in your 2 posts!

Sorry...you set that up too well, I couldn't resist!
togger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 01:41 AM   #7  

I deleted what I originally wrote when I realized how dumb it sounded. But, yeah that was a good one. LOL.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:01 AM   #8  

It wasn't dumb at all -- lots of people feel that way, and I certainly felt that way when I started. I'm sorry you deleted it.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 03:05 PM   #9  
Blue Bunny Butt

S/C/G: 304/304/180

Height: 6'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyGirl
I deleted what I originally wrote when I realized how dumb it sounded. But, yeah that was a good one. LOL.
Nothing is too dumb on here. It helps to vet sometimes and share your thought with others. Chances are many of us are in the same boat or can understand your feelings. Hope things are going well...hang in there!
togger is offline   Reply With Quote