Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-15-2005, 08:29 PM   #1  

Default help with a midmorning snack problem!?

two days a week at my high school, each students meets with a small group of other students and an advisor. we take turns bringing midmorning treats for the rest of the group. my group is very small-- only 4 other girls, none of whom need to lose any weight. i've been eating really healthily the last two weeks, EXCEPT for the treats: a bagel and two danishes. i'm finding it hard to resist these treats because someone is buying or preparing them specifically for me (rather than me buying junk food myself, or eating some candy from a communal bowl)... do you think i should just try to limit my portions (1 cookie instead of 3!) and focus on eating healthy the rest of the time??? thank you!
redchinamarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 09:05 PM   #2  

Are you fairly close to the other girls in your group? If so, let them know that you are making an effort to eat a healthier diet and that you will bring your own snack for the meetings and offer to bring enough for everyone. If they are friends of yours, chances are they will consider your situation when deciding what types of foods they bring themselves and, if not, well, you've still got something available to eat that is within your plan and you haven't stepped on any toes to do it. If you aren't quite comfortable letting the others know that you are trying to lose weight you might find time to have an acceptable snack before the meeting begins so that you aren't as tempted to eat the higher calorie treats. Or, you can always do what you mentioned -eat a reasonable portion of the snack brought by the others. Just make sure that you count the calories in your overall intake so that you can make adjustments to your other meals on those days.
These kinds of situations present themselves to anyone who is trying to lose weight. So it is important to find a way to deal with them that doesn't sidestep your goals and doesn't create an awkward situation that you are uncomfortable with. The most important thing is that you have recognized a potential threat to your goals and are actively considering ways to difuse them. Good Luck!
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 09:14 AM   #3  
GmaTo8

Jawsmom gave you some good pointers. Especially about bringing enough healthy snacks for everyone. Chances are there will be at least one other girl in the group who's going through the same thing as you! Having a good breakfast so that you aren't hungry midmorning is important. I find that if breakfast includes some protein, I can go longer without getting hungry. Another thing to do is think of a cute summer outfit you'd love to wear, and that will help you keep focused. If all else fails, just eat 1 cookie instead of 3, as you mentioned. Learning portion control is a valuable lesson in itself.

Let us know how it goes, ok?
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 01:23 PM   #4  
singletrack chick

i think it is an excellent idea to offer to bring a healthy snack for everyone, like fruit salad or veggies and hummus. even if one doesnt need to lose weight, they need to eat healthy. talk with the girls in your group. tell them what is going on. i'm sure noone will take offense, and you might inspire people to eat better.
laura_on_a_bike is offline   Reply With Quote