Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-14-2004, 03:13 PM   #1  

Unhappy Scale Weirdness

My scale broke in August of last year. I *weighed* 165lbs at the time. I just bought a new digital scale, got on it this morning and it read 175lbs I work out almost everyday. I run 4 miles on the treadmil 5-6 times a week plus bike 18 miles. Nothing has changed! I was so depressed this morning I cried and cried. What the heck gives? Has anyone else encountered strange readings from different scales?
deepfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 04:01 PM   #2  

Oh dear. I hope you're feeling a bit better. Scales can be nasty and mean. My doctor's scale is "heavier" than my home scale, but the home one is what I go by. Are you wearing the same size you wore last year, or even a smaller size? In that case I'm sure you've just gained muscle, and that's a good thing, so forget what the scale says.

But if you are wearing a larger size, I'd keep a food diary for a week or two to see if you're taking in more calories, which can happen when you're exercising a lot, because, for some people, exercise increases appetite. Good Luck.
SeekInnerThinChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 04:25 PM   #3  

I should've given my stats in my post. I'm 5'6", female and wear a size 8 Gap jeans. Last year I couldn't get my size 8's over my thighs. I'm just so confused. I should've never bought a new scale
Old 03-14-2004, 04:39 PM   #4  

Deepfried: If you are wearing size 8 Gap jeans at 165 pounds and 5'6", then I need to take notes from YOU! You are probably ALL MUSCLE!!! Just toss that nasty old scale in the trash, because you have got it where it counts!

You see, a given volume of muscle, lets say a cup, weighs more than a cup of fat. But the muscle is much more dense and compact than the fat, so it takes up less space on your body. You have a LOT of muscle for your size, and that might mean you weigh more on the scale, but you're solid and compact all over. You may even be one of those lucky people who don't jiggle or have cellulite.

And muscle burns calories, which helps keep you from getting fat in the long run. So like I say, toss that scale out, you are doing excellently well. Now YOU have to tell us your secrets for getting so buffed!
Old 03-14-2004, 05:30 PM   #5  

Thanks for the encouragement!!

Here's the scoop on me:

I've been a heavy duty athlete since the age of 20 (I'm 42 years young now). I spent several years in martial arts then moved on to serious body building and running when I turned 30. I maintained a body weight of 138lbs at 14% body fat for several years until I started an evil antidepressant medication, Paxil, 4 years ago. Then my weight skyrocketed to what I thought was 165. I moved to Celexa which I finally got off of just recently. I swear to you the SSRI's pile on the poundage bigtime. If I would've known this, I wouldn't have opted for a SSRI.
Old 03-14-2004, 06:03 PM   #6  

You know, I think size eight is better than good enough, it's great! So I'm still saying, forget the scale. And while I'm sure you're right about the anti-depressants, consider that it's just possible you're at the beginning of the perimenopause. It may be hard for you to maintain an extremely low body fat at this particular stage of life-- it's hormone havoc.

But even if your body fat is a little higher than previously, from your size it's still quite low for a woman, and pretty good for a bodybuilder, too. So if some pounds fall off as a result of going off medication, all well and good. But I'd say you're doing fine, don't stress, relax and enjoy your success.
Old 03-14-2004, 07:52 PM   #7  

Yes, you're correct about the peri-menopausal thing. I'm sure it's a contributing factor to the weight gain.

Thanks again for the encouragement
Old 03-14-2004, 08:42 PM   #8  
Mel

Hi Deepfried,
Are you still doing serious lifting? As Seek said, if you are wearing a size 8 at that weight, you've got to be pretty solid muscle. Use your clothes as a guide and chuck the scale. If you still need to be on an SSRI, talk to your dr. about switching. I take Serzone (Paxil and I didn't get along for a variety of reasons) which has very little effect on weight.

Also why don't you come on over and visit us at the Ladies who Lift Forum?

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 08:50 PM   #9  

Hi,

I'll come over to the ladies who lift forum. I just joined this site not too long ago, so I getting aquainted with all of the forums.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:54 PM   #10  

Default deepfried

Make sure that your scale is calibrated. I once went to buy a scale at Sears and all 8 of the display models gave me a different number. Find something around your house that you know for sure the exact weight of. For example, maybe you have free weights at home. Take a 10 or 20 pound weight and put it on the scale. If your scale gives you a different number then at least you will know how much your scale is off. I weigh myself at work in the shipping department because that scale is calibrated every month.
scoob is offline   Reply With Quote