Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-18-2004, 03:42 PM   #1  

Question Im not absolutely positive....

that this is the best spot for my post. But I would like share a little bit about myself with you guys since I plan to post on this board as much as possible now that I've found it.

As a child, Ive always weighed atleast 5 - 10 lbs more than my friends. My mother seems to think that the reason I am bigger than both of my sisters (though I am the youngest) is because she never breast fed me. She gave me whole milk when I was about 1 - 2 months old. Can anyone here verify that theory of hers, or have any input about whole milk at a young age? Make your bones start to grow faster? I dont know. Both of my sisters are dealing with weight problems as well. One is 27 with 4 kids. She is 5'4 and about 50 lbs over weight. The other is 25, no kids, 5'3 and about 15 lbs over weight. I am 5'8, and about 20 lbs away from my goal. I do pilates for toning, and I walk a block everyday. (Or atleast I try to do it everyday lol)

A few months ago, my boyfriend told me I was getting bigger. (What a jerk, I know!) I really took it to heart and became all depressed. As I was looking in the mirror, letting it all hang out so to speak, I was shocked. Now I knew what my boyfriend had been looking at all this time. I went to go buy a new pair of jeans, and I THOUGHT I was a size 10, but I couldn't get them on. I had to buy a pair of size 13's! I went thru a huge state of depression. From then on, I was determined to lose the weight. I got a job where I was constantly on my feet and always moving. I drank nothing but water with everything I ate. After a few weeks, those size 13's didnt fit anymore. I got on the scale and saw that I had dropped 30 lbs total! Now I am stuck in a rut at 155, Ive gotten down to 150 but it never lasts. Its like my body doesnt want to weigh less. I dont understand, because Im still drinking water and doing everything the same. I tried the low carb, I didnt like it too much. I am now trying low calorie along with drinking water, and other 0 fat 0 carb drinks, like Diet sodas, Crystal Lite, and so on. Is it normal to be stuck at a certain weight for what seems like a life time?

Its been a month and I cant seem to get below 153. I have a tread mill that I dont use. So I will be starting to do that. On the weekends after I get off of work, I like to hang out with my big sister's and all of our "men" and drink a few beers. I know beer is bad for your health, and is a major factor in having a "pot belly". But just like if youre a smoker, and youre trying to quit...If its in your face, you want one.

Ive been stuck in the 50's for so long, I think I am going to really have a heart attack if I hit 149..........ever. I know some ppl might be thinking "Oh, 20 lbs isnt alot to have to lose, I have to lose 100", but it is when almost all of it is in your legs and you cant even lose 1 lb now matter how hard you try.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting passed the hump where youre body doesnt want to lose weight? If so, it will be greatly appreciated.

I know I rambled a HUGE post, and I know I probably put it in the wrong place. I just had so much to say and I still do, but I dont want to take up anymore of anyone's time. Thanks to all who took the time to read this.

Oh, and just ONE more thing, lol. It just SUCKS (and I am sure everyone here agrees) that summer is right around the corner and the thought of being chunky in a bikini is more than depressing.
Ill be walking on the beach in a tshirt and sweat pants. LoL
Sh0egal19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 08:35 PM   #2  

In response to the beer issue, I know certain beer companies are starting to advertise low carb beer. That might be an option for you on the weekends.
TaraJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 08:51 PM   #3  

Lory...you've come to right place....There all sort of different women on here you want to lose a various amount of weight. I don't know about the milk as a baby thing cause my daughter was lactose intolerant and had no milk for the first year and she is slightly bigger than all her friends as well.

It could be that the weight you are at now is what you body wants to be at. If it's in your legs maybe a walking video would help with that. I do the Walk away the pounds DVD 3 mile and after two weeks I have lost inches in my legs, waist and hips.

My goal is for 135 as well but I find I am loosing inches and the scale is hardly budging now but I have been told one day it will start to gradually lower. My clothes feel looser and I guess that's what really counts. I am a scale addict though and no matter where I hide the darn thing I go find it everymorining.

Stick around we are all here for the same reason and you can get tons of support, ideas and motivation.

Dale
Trixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 10:43 AM   #4  

Hi there!

Yes, plateaus are normal. I get them every 15 pounds. They were the same when I gain weighed and the same when I try to lose it. My body wants to "stick" at 135 (healthy weight), 150, 165, and 180. Once I reach a 15 pound mark, it's hard to get below it. So, yeah, someone else knows what you're talking about. But the good news is once I get to 135, I know it will be a "sticking" weight.

Remedies include: switching your exercise routine and changing your diet. (More of one thing, less of another.) Other ladies on the board have said it worked for them.
Aquareggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 05:59 PM   #5  
Legend in my own mind

I also think its a plateau that you have hit. Keep up the good work and you will loose more weight. its possible that you need to take another look at exactly what you are eating and maybe your diet needs a little tweaking still.
And also, beer isn't bad for you unless you drink to excess all the time. a few beers never hurt anyone, but I wouldn't ever be drinking any stinking light beers or low carb beers. Drink the good stuff if your going to have one or two.
your doing good,
Partytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 06:05 PM   #6  
living, breathing, moving

S/C/G: 230/170/135

Height: 5*5ish

lol, partytime, you sound like me. a beer snob. but i did try the ultima, i think by miller, low carb beer. didn't have the punch i am used to from my fosters. but wasn't bad for just drinking a few beers with my hubby.
blugirrl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 11:11 PM   #7  
Firefly

Default A few ideas

Hi! I think something that you might want to try to see if you can break through your plateau is add some variety to your exercise routine. Your body may have just gotten used to what you are doing. Since it sounds like you are walking, you can try a few things to jump start your body again:
1) Time yourself and plan to walk your block a little quicker each week
2) Walk for two minutes, jog for one, etc. to introduce some interval training
3) Increase your distance
You might want to try something new once a week for cardio - an aerobics class, stairs, whatever...it'll work different parts of your body. Also, look into some weight traning. You can do a lot of great exercise with some light dumbbells - good for toning and actually burning fat.
Hope this helps!
Cindy
Firefli10 is offline   Reply With Quote