Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-23-2019, 04:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 320/313/150

Height: 5’5

Unhappy advice for overweight teen?

hi, i’ve never joined a forum or done anything like this before, but i decided to because my self esteem has never been so low and my weight has never been so high. and i am only 16 years old. i am 16 years old and weigh 320 pounds. it pains me to say it, it makes me feel DISGUSTED to say it, but it’s the truth. i guess i joined this for advice, support? im not entirely sure but i really am hoping this will help. please. anything that worked for you, please let me know and i will try. i just want to be happy, healthy and feel like a teenager.
ellbell4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 03:36 AM   #2  
Mistress of my destiny

S/C/G: 234.6/166.2/154

Height: 5'6"

Welcome! I don’t know if it’s possible but I really wish you could change your username. I hear how hurt and lost you are at this point and I’d love to be able to address you with a name that doesn’t have a negative connotation.
When people say that the teen years were the best of their lives, they’re mostly lying. It’s a hard, stressful and often lonely time. It gets better. You are a brave person for deciding you want to make a change and then reaching out for support. Weight loss should start with a visit to your doctor or nurse practitioner to make sure that you’re healthy enough to start and to get some advice on how to start. If that’s not possible, then the best way to lose weight and get healthy is to go slowly. Pick one habit that you want to change and focus on that for now. Maybe switch out soda (all soda, diet and regular) for water. If plain water seems boring, try the fizzy flavored waters. My favorite is the peach one from Walmart. Or add lemons or berries or cucumber to tap water in a pitcher and let it steep. Or decide you’re going to walk for 10 minutes every evening and increase your time by 10 minutes a week. Once the first change has become your new normal, choose a second habit to improve. Each new change helps to build a new reality and will get you on the right path to a healthier you.
Keep reaching out. There’s a great group of people here who care and will support you.
etherbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 08:22 PM   #3  
Faith. Family. Fitness.

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'2"

Welcome!

What is your real name? I won't address you as "fat04," because our weight does not define us.

Do you have Facebook? Feel free to add me there, my name is my username.

I was also very overweight as a teen. Got bullied a lot.

I lost some weight in High school, I still struggle with my weight as an adult; it will likely be a lifelong struggle for you too, but the struggles are SO worth the lessons we learn!
EmilyLarnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 04:53 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 320/313/150

Height: 5’5

Quote:
Originally Posted by etherbunny View Post
Welcome! I don’t know if it’s possible but I really wish you could change your username. I hear how hurt and lost you are at this point and I’d love to be able to address you with a name that doesn’t have a negative connotation.
When people say that the teen years were the best of their lives, they’re mostly lying. It’s a hard, stressful and often lonely time. It gets better. You are a brave person for deciding you want to make a change and then reaching out for support. Weight loss should start with a visit to your doctor or nurse practitioner to make sure that you’re healthy enough to start and to get some advice on how to start. If that’s not possible, then the best way to lose weight and get healthy is to go slowly. Pick one habit that you want to change and focus on that for now. Maybe switch out soda (all soda, diet and regular) for water. If plain water seems boring, try the fizzy flavored waters. My favorite is the peach one from Walmart. Or add lemons or berries or cucumber to tap water in a pitcher and let it steep. Or decide you’re going to walk for 10 minutes every evening and increase your time by 10 minutes a week. Once the first change has become your new normal, choose a second habit to improve. Each new change helps to build a new reality and will get you on the right path to a healthier you.
Keep reaching out. There’s a great group of people here who care and will support you.
thank you so much, i am going to start applying new changes to my diet and exercise plans as the new year begins. i hope to lose weight this year and become a healthier person than i currently am. also, i unfortunately cannot change my username, but i go by ella. again, thank you. <3
ellbell4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 03:31 PM   #5  
Faith. Family. Fitness.

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'2"

Ella,

My best piece of advice is to trust the process. Don't expect results overnight. Let each decision you make be a factor in your success. Be patient, even when you're feeling impatient. I used to exercise for weight loss, now I exercise because it makes me feel good. It's the best pick-me-up there is! Best of luck to you!

Emily
EmilyLarnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:31 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 278 / 253 / 160

Height: 5'6

Ella!

I was in a similar position during high school and I know the pain of bullying and feeling so negatively about yourself. I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through that but I hope that you can find encouragement and support through the people here as well as people in your personal life too!

Agreed with many things already stated, especially etherbunny's words about altering/changing one habit out at a time and making it part of your routine or normal habit before moving to the next. A lot of times (I am incredibly guilty of this) we want so badly for things to change overnight or in a short amount of time that we pile all the "remedies" on at once; diet, exercise, strength training, food deprivation, etc that we lose ourselves and fail immediately. It's incredibly important to know that this will likely be a lifelong process and will definitely take time, but that taking time to change habits and your lifestyle is not only the best way, but the way that will bring you the most success and happiness in achieving your weight loss and maintenance of a happy and healthy life.

Not only that, but once you realize you've made something part of your normal routine or habit, it's so satisfying and something to feel proud of each time you make that better choice over a worse one consciously.

YOU CAN DO IT!

I have the utmost faith in you. If you ever need further encouragement or help, I'm here. I've been through that time of my life (I'm 31 now) and learned a lot since then. Enjoy the little things in your life each and every day and try to abolish the negative thoughts about your body, what people say to you, and that little voice that always seems to tell us "you can't do it" - seriously, that little voice can shove off.

Your new friend,
Taem
taemkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:29 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 175/136.0/115

Height: 5'1"

Hey Ella, welcome. First of all, I echo what Taem says; that's great advice! But second, most of us on the forum are not health professionals. I work with teens, and I'll tell you the same thing I would tell one of them if they came to me with this post. You need a good team around you, not just general supporters like friends and the internet and family, but of professionals who can really help you--namely, a doctor, a dietician, and a therapist. There's SO much misinformation floating around on the internet and you're going to be bombarded with more information than you could possibly ever process. You need someone who can help you develop a healthy lifestyle that works for you, and by healthy I mean not only food and exercise but also a healthy mental/emotional approach to body image. And all of those things take professionals. You'll have to loop your parents in, in all likelihood, and it may not be cheap depending on your insurance status (though there are ways around that like sliding scale clinics, etc). But it's far, far easier and cheaper to start your life with healthy and safe habits than it is to yo-yo diet your way through several decades whilst hating yourself, and then figure it all out later in life. There's no shortcut and no magic bullet, unfortunately. Best of luck!!

edit: if you need help finding said professionals, I'll do my best. There's no need to reveal your location; there's some great find-a-person websites that I can refer you to if you need them.

Last edited by Princessroja; 02-11-2020 at 10:30 AM.
Princessroja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:04 PM   #8  
Learning While Teaching

FIrst try to exercise daily. If your not ready to commit to that then first work on your diet. Make sure you plan an effective diet that you will stick to. What I mean by this is that you don't go on a diet with only salad just because it's effective. Make sure you're eating healthy while knowing fully well you'll be able to stick to the diet. Once you've gotten used to your diet, and see some results you can start to exercise. With the same thinking for the diet choose an exercise or sport that you will stick to because you like. If you like water try swimming, if you like being in nature, go running, hiking, or biking. You can look into different sports as well, soccer, basketball, etc. Hope that helps.

3 points: Choose a good diet that you'll commit to. Choose an exercise that you'll commit to. Don't give up
SayNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 06:08 PM   #9  

Thanks for that info.
Kabir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 06:03 AM   #10  

Height: magmeepEVE

Believe in yourself and do not give up
You can use a cup of water and a teaspoon of natural lemon juice every morning before eating
You have to walk an hour in the morning and another hour in the evening.
Intermittent fasting.
Avoid eating fatty and sugary foods
Make your food a vegetable.
aziz66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 03:59 PM   #11  

Hey, I have been there before, I totally get you. Don't put too much pressure on yourself I would suggest you start off small, try home remedies like Apple Cider Vinegar, lemon, ginger, honey, etc, do research on how to make concoctions with these ingredients, and more. And good luck
KileM21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 03:15 PM   #12  

HI Bokrey! Don't broach the subject. Just buy and eat healthy food yourself to set the example; A teen needs good support from those family member(s) who truly love and care for her. The family members will try to ensure the teen feels the support no matter what. The teen needs to know that no matter the outcome, the love and support will never cease. As the teen becomes older, she will begin to understand herself even more, and then make educated decisions on what diets work best for her. Forcing your will and/or ideas on a teen will not work and may breed resentment later on.
Jossy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:18 AM   #13  

I think it's better for you to seek doctor advice to lose your weight safely. It is going to be a long battle against it.
ooisootuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:34 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 260/170/140

Height: 5'7

you can start with the exercise and eat more protein and nutrient and don't eat fast food and stay away from the coke/soda
Jenniifer is offline   Reply With Quote