Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-24-2018, 06:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 188.4/154.2/135

Height: 5'5"

Default New to intermittent fasting. Advice?

Hi! I am new to this site. I have been reading up on IF and would like to give it a try. There are so many different ways and info out there. I would love some feed back from ladies who have some success with it.

I have thoughts of using a 6 hour eating window each day and trying to keep calories around 1200 during that time. I wonder is this too low?

I also wonder if crystal light in my water would be ok after the window closes. I know it's not the best but I may need a taste of something before bed. Maybe lemon water would be better. The calories would be small but I don't know if that will mess up the fasting period.

Thanks so much for any advice!
Linewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:33 PM   #2  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linewife View Post
Hi! I am new to this site. I have been reading up on IF and would like to give it a try. There are so many different ways and info out there. I would love some feed back from ladies who have some success with it.

I have thoughts of using a 6 hour eating window each day and trying to keep calories around 1200 during that time. I wonder is this too low?

I also wonder if crystal light in my water would be ok after the window closes. I know it's not the best but I may need a taste of something before bed. Maybe lemon water would be better. The calories would be small but I don't know if that will mess up the fasting period.

Hi there, I have been doing IF since mid May, and I love it. I am doing well. More successful than any thing else I have done. and it feels sustainable, also Important. I have taken off 30 pounds, 3 inches, and my A1C (a measure of average blood sugars) has gone down from 5.9 to 5.6, and my doctor is delighted.
I would buy the Obesity Code or the Diabetes Code by Dr. Fung for sure.
Drinks that are ok while fasting are plain water, plain soda water, tea or coffee. No sweeteners at all. No crystal lite or diet drinks. at all.
Fat is better. SO think heavy cream (whipping cream) in the tea or coffee is ok while fasting.
Do NOT count calories. You should be eating normally, but healthy foods, or move toward low carb/high fat or Keto if you prefer. Dr. Fung explains why you should not be limiting calories, or counting. Its been very freeing for me.
Before you start, please do read more about it, I am happy to support, but not ready to be a guru yet1
I usually hang out in the diabetes support group, feel free to visit there or PM me if you want
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:48 PM   #3  

Thanks so much to both of you! That is very helpful and encouraging!
Old 10-15-2018, 09:00 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 350/284/185

Height: 6'

Hi there, I'm new to IF also! Maybe we can support each other. I'm planning to eat between 1-9 pm each day. 4 more hours to go until it's time to eat!
serenity311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:01 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 350/284/185

Height: 6'

@Linewife, I just realized we are both in East TN!
serenity311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:17 AM   #6  

I will give IF a try, I heard this is effective but patience is the key, is that right?
Techsavvy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:50 PM   #7  

Alright, I have been off the site for a while. I am giving this IF a try. The Obesity Code book is ordered and on the way. If you girls are interested in supporting each other in this it might help us! I need to do something! My weight has crept up again. I have started the best I know how today without having read the book.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:01 AM   #8  
Let's get fit together

S/C/G: 170/110/100

Height: 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linewife View Post

Well, to be honest, I lost 70 kilos and never did IF. So, I don't know how effective it is although I have heard positive reviews about it. The principles for IF are the same except it just dictates the eating window.

Regarding the calories, it looks a decent place to start but I don't think its a bright idea unless you have your calculations right.

My suggestion, understand the term BMR and TDEE Calories. Once you know these, give a calorie deficit of not more then 10-15% of your TDEE calories. Then create your diet and follow 16:8 or 18:6 protocol depending on your comfort level.
Ashvin Shet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:55 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I would like to see an active thread for intermittent fasting. I think it is great. Many do 16 hour fasts with an 8 hour eating Windowsw and that's a good starting point. Once you have that down pat you can start to have a more extended fast once or twice a week. It has many health benefits besides weight loss. Once you establish a solid pattern the hunger is no longer a problem. Eating low carb makes IF easier but it isn't really necessary. Its up to the individual.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:52 PM   #10  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

I IF daily. My eating window is 5 hours long. I find my wieght loss is boosted when I IF consistantly.
I find fasting to be pretty effortless in the most part. I stop eating at 5 and eat again at 12 the next day. I'm on Keto and that way of eating kills my hunger so it makes IF pretty easy.
My word of advice is to have a good amount of fat and protien at the last meal of your eating window, this will keep hunger at bay for longer. (Since i'm awake for the first 6 hours of my fast)
Also drink LOTS of water. It will help if you have hunger, but also fasting is a natural way to detoxify and remove old unused cells from the body and you need water to flush all that gunk out.
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:37 PM   #11  
Hec

Default ?

Can i have coffee in the morning?
Hec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:37 PM   #12  
Hec

Can i have gum
Hec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:39 PM   #13  
Hec