Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-23-2017, 11:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 156/ticker/133

Height: 5"1'

Default Just started seeing results..but going on vacation

I just started seeing results in the last 4-5 weeks from my low-carb diet and resistance training. I've lost 7 lbs, and I couldn't be more excited!!! For the first time in YEARS, people are complimenting me on how they're able to see visible change, how I'm looking toned, how I look great etc etc (ah I could keep writing about that). Believe you me, I've been waiting to hear things like this for AGES.

But but but..

I have relatives visiting me, and need to break my exercise and diet routine for 3 weeks. I'm so nervous about losing all the progress I've made. I feel like all the muscle I've built by doing weights will go flaccid. And when you're traveling, you're bound to eat out here and there and it's so hard to keep track.

I can only count on all the walking I'll be doing when I'm visiting touristy places. We're also planning on going to a national park so there'll be some biking and hiking.

What do I do, fellow 3FC's?! I need some sound advice on how all of you did it! How did you get through vacation time with self-control? What type of snacks do I carry around? What do I eat when I go to restaurants? Tell me anything, tell me everything!

Last edited by iScreamSandwich; 06-23-2017 at 11:40 AM.
iScreamSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/188/100

Height: 4'11"

What I did usually when I went on vacation is staying at hotels with gyms in them. I don't know if you're staying with family or staying at a hotel, but that's an option. Check your gym membership as well to see if you can visit gyms outside of your local gym. I have a multi-gym pass and when I was on vacation and was in another state, I took my friend to the gym I have a membership in as a guest.

Restaurants...I would check the menu beforehand and look at their nutrition on their website, usually they have their nutrition facts provided on there and decide what to eat before you go. Be CAREFUL about how they present portions. I went to a pizza place, and I didn't read the fine print when it said PER SLICE and not PER PIZZA. I thought the calories were off, but I figured it was because it was a personal pizza, they wouldn't count the 4 individual slices.

I'll keep thinking of things, but that's what I have thus far. Good luck, and have fun on your vacation
tiawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:26 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiawyn View Post
What I did usually when I went on vacation is staying at hotels with gyms in them. I don't know if you're staying with family or staying at a hotel, but that's an option. Check your gym membership as well to see if you can visit gyms outside of your local gym. I have a multi-gym pass and when I was on vacation and was in another state, I took my friend to the gym I have a membership in as a guest.
Thank you tiawyn!
We'll be staying in an Airbnb, so no gym access unfortunately. But we're renting bikes so that we can move around. I'm excited about that for sure! I think it should be a good way to burn off whatever I'm eating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiawyn View Post
Restaurants...I would check the menu beforehand and look at their nutrition on their website, usually they have their nutrition facts provided on there and decide what to eat before you go. Be CAREFUL about how they present portions. I went to a pizza place, and I didn't read the fine print when it said PER SLICE and not PER PIZZA. I thought the calories were off, but I figured it was because it was a personal pizza, they wouldn't count the 4 individual slices.

I'll keep thinking of things, but that's what I have thus far. Good luck, and have fun on your vacation
You're right, I think planning ahead on where to go to eat helps rather than just walking in to a restaurant and then not having anything to eat, finally ending up eating unsuitable food. So do you think it is okay though to eat a slice of pizza? I'm on a low carb diet and those type of foods worry me a little. I feel like you can never escape carbs, and our foods are comprised of simple carbs mostly
Old 06-23-2017, 02:32 PM   #4  
Work in Progress

S/C/G: 186/working on it/148

Height: 5'5"

I have been doing low carb since last October and keep my carbs about 20-25 a day without bread, rice, pasta any flour product. And I do go out to eat! If at a pizza place order the largest salad they have. If at a regular hamburger place order that burger with a lettuce wrap or no bun, replace fries with salad. Breakfast, Denver omelet and tomato slices. You just have to think protein and green veggies. Skip the fruit bowl, fries, and bread.

You can do it
nancylmrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:00 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 175/136.0/115

Height: 5'1"

There's actually a ton of body weight exercises you can do to keep exercising. The walking and biking will make a pretty big difference, but you definitely don't need a gym to work out. FitnessBlender and YogaWithAdriene on youtube have a bunch of great videos, and there's a ton of others like them. Best of luck!! I just went through two weeks away myself over the last two months so I feel ya. :/
Princessroja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:06 AM   #6  

Default thank you

Thank you everyone for your advice!!! Here's how the past weekend for me was (just so that I'm accountable) - there was a fair amount of walking. I managed to record 15k steps on my fitbit on saturday
I tried to eat right by taking along healthy snacks with me (like pistachios, celery with hummus & baby carrots). But in my meals I couldn't completely avoid carbs. I ended up getting a bialy for breakfast (it was at a bagel place and it was the guy's recommendation for a low-carb option). We had some alcohol but I only got clear spirits (few shots of tequila and unsweetened ice tea), Ethiopian and Mediterranean food, and pizza (but also had a big salad before pizza so ate one slice less)
I came back and saw that my weight is back to 151lbs I hope it's just a fluctuation because I worked so hard to get out of the 150s!