Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 286/209/150

Height: 5'4

Default anyone successful losing weight with depo?

Anyone?

I just got my second shot two weeks ago. Before when I tried to lose weight, it came off a lot quicker than it is now that I'm on the shot. I lose an average of 2 lbs a week. Before when I wasn't on the shot I'd lose about 3 or 4 (when I was just starting out)

I think the weight is coming off so slow because of the depo. It's not that I'm not losing any weight at all, its just slow.
gonnabfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 174/T/140

Height: 5'3"

Yes, I've been on depo since my youngest was born (17 years ago) and I have sucessfully lost (and gained) several times during these 17 times. I have found that if I work my program I don't have any issues.

Last edited by BuddysBuddy; 02-17-2012 at 12:01 PM. Reason: 17 years not 17 times
BuddysBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 120/104/fit

Height: 5"3

My friend, who was naturally 92-95 lbs for years, gained suddenly up to 105 after 3 shots. And there's definetly a lot of people that gain weight on it, so I guess it can affect weight loss as well.
Magalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:37 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 207/174/125

Height: 5'5"

I hate that myth, that depo will make you gain crazy weight.

I've been on depo for a year (5 shots to date) and when I tell people I'm on it immediately their reaction is "you are?!? But you haven't gained weight!"
Yes during the holidays I gained about 10lbs but I know that was me binging almost every day. But overall no I have not noticed that it has made it more difficult to lose weight. I tried losing weight back in august and I lost about 11lbs in 3 weeks. I've been on a "diet" for about 2 weeks and I've lost 6lbs. Before depo Actually I feel like it was HARDER to lose weight lol but that could just be my mind tricking me since I didn't really try back then.
Misa66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:34 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 170/166/130

Height: 5'3"

I am currently on depo (it is coming up to a year) and I think I have gained maybe 4-6 pounds since I started, but that's not necessarily because of the shots. It was probably just my unhealthy eating habits.

However I had my last shot at the beginning of the year and will be going back on the pill soon, so it will be interesting to see if that affects my weight loss at all.
jennybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:13 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

I've been on depo for 8 years minus a recent period of 6months that i tried the pill. On depo i lost 60 pounds gave up dieting gained 40ish back. Lost about 90 swithed to the pill. On the pill i had intense cravings and that made me struggle alot. Between giving into cravings and the holidays i gained about 20 back. I am back on the pill and losing again.

Since you said you are still losing just slower it sounds like it is more likely your body slowing down naturally. 2-3 lbs a week is still fairly quick to be losing. It just slows down the closer you get to goal.
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:18 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/130/120

Height: 5'3

I think it really varies from person to person the effect that Depo can have on your weight. I was always slim, then I went on Depo and over 3 years I put on around 3 stone!!!

However the injection was not the only reason, I was relatively inactive and I snacked a lot. So was it the Depo or the snacking?? Or both?

Once I stopped Depo though I lost most of the weight within a year without trying, I was student without much money, only eating once a day. So was it the lack of Depo or the lack of food?? Or both?

I always used to be able to eat what I wanted, it was only after I started with Depo that I started gaining weight, and at 16-19yrs old its not as if my metabolism had slowed with age!

However as you can see, there were contributing factors to both the weight gain and the weight loss so I cannot blame Depo entirely, but for some people I do think it could have an adverse effect on weight. The doctor did warn me, but as I was a size 8 who never gained weight (US size 4..i think?) I didn't worry....

Last edited by Rosey85; 02-19-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Rosey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 217.5/202.8/150

Height: 5'8

Depo did not work well with me. I became depressed on it and gained 40lbs.However, it was my fault because I stayed on it even with all the side effects it gave me.

I would think it might slow weight loss because it is dealing with hormones after all, and I do think the shot is stronger than just taking a pill everyday.

After depo, I tried a pill for two months and it was better for me than depo, but I hated having to remember the pill everyday.

Now I'm on the Paragard IUD and I love it.-Nothing to remember.

Make sure to take a calcium supplement everyday on depo.
sparkles86tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 211/178/150 LW:161

Height: 5'6

I was on Depo for over a year and noticed that I couldn't really lose weight while being on it. I stopped taking it and have been losing. I really liked Depo, I can't remember to take a pill everyday at the same time so this method really worked out for me, and I didn't noticed any serious side effects except that it seemed to prevent me from really losing. I stopped taking it in hopes that some of this weight would come off but I'd definately go back on Depo!
vixxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 305/265/175

Height: 5'6''

I was actually told by a nurse once that the reason depo makes you gain weight is because it can make your body feel like you need more food than you do, so as long a you can control your food cravings it shouldn't make you gain weight I think.. I have personally both lost and gained weight on it, and I definitely gained from overeating. I've also gained without it so I don't know how much that was the depo
Jeckeree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 235/221/140

Height: 5'4

I was on the depo years ago and gained alot of weight (40+ pounds). ugh!!!!!
BellaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:16 AM   #12  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Height: 5'8"

I've been on depo for a little over two years- and whole I DO think that I have more carb-cravings than usual (if I eat sugar I feel like I NEED more...) but that could be due to my restricting sugar more than I did before depo... I lost 25 about 7 months after starting- gained 9 over the holidays, and am on the way back down... I do think it's different for everyone- but I just want to say that it's not all horror stories! I love being on depo! (my mom also used it for years and actually lost about 50 lbs while on it after my last sibling was born)
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:53 AM   #13  

Default research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misa66 View Post
I hate that myth, that depo will make you gain crazy weight.

I've been on depo for a year (5 shots to date) and when I tell people I'm on it immediately their reaction is "you are?!? But you haven't gained weight!"
Yes during the holidays I gained about 10lbs but I know that was me binging almost every day. But overall no I have not noticed that it has made it more difficult to lose weight. I tried losing weight back in august and I lost about 11lbs in 3 weeks. I've been on a "diet" for about 2 weeks and I've lost 6lbs. Before depo Actually I feel like it was HARDER to lose weight lol but that could just be my mind tricking me since I didn't really try back then.

It's not a "myth"
Do some research.
Studies show that it does cause weight gain. Especially in women who have children.
If it makes you gain, it makes it harder to lose... pretty simple.
It may not in everyone but 1 in 4 users it does cause gain...

Just sayin
kmamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:58 AM   #14  

Default depo is awful.

I've been on it before. This is my second time, I got off of it so I could have my children.
Now I'm back on and I am gaining crazy weight...
I've gained about 10lbs since my first shot and won't be taking the 4th cycle.
kmamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 01:54 AM   #15  

I was on depo for 2 and a half years. When I first got on it I was 95 pounds when I got off I was 138 pounds. I just recently tried mirena and I absolutely hate it. Maybe birth control isn't for me....
Andiawatson09 is offline   Reply With Quote