Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-09-2016, 11:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/130/120

Height: 5'2"20

Default Trying my own diet

Hello everyone! I'm 23, female, 5'2 and I have about 30lb to lose.

I used to be a member of Myfitnesspal, but recently the community has been irritating me a lot.

I used to count calories and that was all well and good, I lost weight, even maintained the loss. But recently when I started again after a diet break, I noticed that the calories seem to make me obsessive. I'm fine with weighing food and stuff but as soon as I see the calories I start to try hard to stay as far below my goal number as I can, which is unhealthy.

So I came up with an idea. What if, I made my own diet plan based of things I enjoy. I have the calorie counting app, I could choose a number, work out a meal plan, and just stick to it.

Problem was, once I did that, everyone on the MFP community started going on and on about how it's IMPOSSIBLE for me to know how much I'm eating! (O_O)

And since then every time I said or asked something that would come up, "You are having this problem because you don't know how much you eat". And frankly I'm tired of it. So here I am, hoping I can find better support from you all.

Chatting and asking about goals and weight loss is what keeps me on track. Peace and good luck to you all.
Shadowmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:25 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Do it. My diet is entirely customized on what I know works for me. Both for my mind and my body.

For example, I intermittent fast (skip dinner, except booze - I drink sometimes in the evening); am pescatarian; high protein; low (processed) carb - I eat good carbs; eat mostly raw foods (veg); low-ish fruit (except dried- figs, dates, apricots); am low dairy and meat; and eat high good fats (fish, avocado). You can't put that diet in a box. But it works for me.

And I don't count calories. But if my weight were to go up, I would eat less of the above or exercise more.

I exercise a lot.

Last edited by IanG; 02-09-2016 at 07:31 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
Do it. My diet is entirely customized on what I know works for me. Both for my mind and my body.

For example, I intermittent fast (skip dinner, except booze - I drink sometimes in the evening); am pescatarian; high protein; low (processed) carb - I eat good carbs; eat mostly raw foods (veg); low-ish fruit (except dried- figs, dates, apricots); am low dairy and meat; and eat high good fats (fish, avocado). You can't put that diet in a box. But it works for me.

And I don't count calories. But if my weight were to go up, I would eat less of the above or exercise more.

I exercise a lot.
Listen to Ian, Shadowmf. I've been on these threads for a few years now and have witnessed the vast array of diets that folks have tried and abandoned. I include myself in this "vast array." Ian is one of the most consistent and successful members on these threads. Find and do what works for you.
curvynotlumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/130/120

Height: 5'2"20

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the support. I'm sure I'll do fine without counting calories or weighing my food. And if I don't lose, I'll just eat a little less. =)
Shadowmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:55 AM   #5  
Garmin: TrixieCatLAX

S/C/G: 205.3 / 188.4 / 145.0

Height: 5'5"

That sounds like just the thing to do, Shadow. Trial and error.
TrixieCatLAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:52 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 233/222.4/160

Height: 5'7"

Hey Shadow. I concur with them. Do it.
I also use MFP but mostly to track to nutritional value of my meals besides the calories. I'm on my own type of plan which is mostly low fat and I stay away from simple sugars. I make my own meatballs and burgers and stuff and just use the app to see where I'm going. I stay away from their forums though.

Welcome and I look forward to seeing you around
debest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:35 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/183.2/110

Height: 5' 2.5"

Recently I decent to change how I eat and everything to help my weight loss journey. Also, by doing this, I hope to be able to eat I moderation. I may even start to eat less or not to much work to cook meat as I realized I don't really like to cook things that take long. Including, cooking meat is pressuring as you need to do it just right.

I want to include more water and others things to get my veggie and fruit levels up. I have high cholesterol too so I really want to get that real down by the being of November.

Last edited by shymouse; 02-12-2016 at 09:37 PM.
shymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:28 PM   #8  

I made a list of my 30 favorite healthy foods and I eat those - except the two meals a week that I eat in restaurants.

Everybody's definition of "healthy" is different so this is about as custom as you can get.
I lost 75 pounds in 2015
mollyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:45 PM   #9  
Warrior Princess

I used to calorie count on MFP but after doing that for several months I learned how to eat better and just keep myself mentally aware. Now I just watch portion sizes and avoid the obvious things. I also go to the gym 5 days a week.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:00 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 131/131.8/115

Height: 5'1"

Hi,
I think you can do it. You can definitely know how much you're eating! I mean, you're the one measuring/weighing your food, right?
Good luck!
DietChick33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:44 PM   #11  

Hello there! Has anyone tried the QWLC diet?
FATD is offline   Reply With Quote