Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-02-2018, 11:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 271/209/140

Height: 5'7

Default Fa/oa diet

This is my diet through food addicts in recovery and I started about 2 weeks ago and having some serious concerns on it. I have an appt with my primary soon and I will ask to be referred to a nutritionist but this lifestyle change seems crazy to me.

Breakfast: 1 oz oats, 6oz fruit, 2 eggs or 8 ounce yogurt
Lunch: 4 oz protein, 6 oz salad w/tbs dressing, 6oz cooked veg
Dinner : same as lunch but diff meat/veg

I’m not craving sugar really but I need some potatoes in my life and maybe a square of dark chocolate occasionally.

Last edited by amanda876; 02-02-2018 at 11:45 AM.
amanda876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:13 PM   #2  
mjf

Why does it seem crazy? It doesn't look like a bad diet.

I think a few potatoes each week won't hurt you, but it depends how you cook them. How do you normally cook potatoes?

What kind of dressing do you put on the salad?
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:26 AM   #3  
Maggie

S/C/G: 215/154.2/~111 or so

Height: 5'5"

It looks fine to me, honestly. If you vary the proteins and plants, you should get lots of nutrients. Do they phase back in foods so you adjust to them or do you maintain this plan forever? I don't know a lot about OA. But it does look like it's an exclusionary diet (cuts out whole food groups), which is pretty common. But if that won't work for you and you want to be able to eat anything you like (just not everything at once), you may want to consider calorie counting or portion control.
Chanticleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:33 PM   #4  
mjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanticleer View Post
But it does look like it's an exclusionary diet (cuts out whole food groups), which is pretty common.
Which groups are missing? I think all of them are there, although it's less grains than what I personally eat. I'm not sure if the diet includes enough healthy fat, so that's why I asked about the dressing.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:36 PM   #5  

I usually use olive oil and vinegar or a full fat ranch with no sugar. The only reason I think it is kind of crazy is because the calorie amount for what I eat falls within 800-1000 cals a day. I am continuing on with it because if I abstain from sugar I don’t really want it and I do feel full with all the veggies but the calorie count is so low. I did a few bmr counters and they all said to aim for 1500-1700 cals to lose weight at 2lbs per week. This seems kinda like extreme dieting.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:03 PM   #6  

I eat this way until I get to my goal weight and then I think I get more grains and fruit added to my plan. The low calorie is what worries me but the actual food keeps me very full so I don’t have to snack between meals.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 265/148/132-136

Height: 5'6" - 64 YO

I am doing Bright Line Eating which was basically modeled on the FA program but with some differences [and there is no FA group near me] and there was an adjustment period but now I am just fine eating this way and honestly don't miss the things I have given up. Now I can eat 4 oz potatoes instead of 1oz oats and many mornings I sub 6oz veggies for my morning fruit and make a potato-obrien type dish for breakfast and add some cheese and greek yogurt (along with chili powder and red peppers..sounds gross but I love it)

EDIT-I like the potatoes for the potassium punch they bring and figure the fiber from the veggies dulls the glycemic response. 4 oz of potatoes is not so much.

Last edited by grannynancy; 02-03-2018 at 08:07 PM.
grannynancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 03:29 AM   #8  
mjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda876 View Post
I usually use olive oil and vinegar or a full fat ranch with no sugar. The only reason I think it is kind of crazy is because the calorie amount for what I eat falls within 800-1000 cals a day. I am continuing on with it because if I abstain from sugar I don’t really want it and I do feel full with all the veggies but the calorie count is so low. I did a few bmr counters and they all said to aim for 1500-1700 cals to lose weight at 2lbs per week. This seems kinda like extreme dieting.
When I try to estimate your calories I get 1200, but I had to make some guesses so maybe I got it wrong. I'd suggest aiming for at least 1200 calories per day.

If you're looking for more ideas for things to eat, you can try beans and nuts.

The olive oil dressing is probably healthier than the ranch, but some ranch dressings are healthier than others, so it's hard to say.