Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-20-2015, 10:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 233/181/160

Height: 5'9"

Default Losing weight...and hair. :(

So, I began counting calories and exercising and really trying to lose weight back in June. It went pretty well. I've lost about 45 lbs after years of trying to lose something--anything. I still want to lose about 20-25. I feel pretty good about myself.

However, about a month ago I noticed I was shedding a lot more hair than normal. Now, it seems like I'm shedding even more! I asked help at another forum and others suggested I was not eating enough calories for someone that weights 187 and is 5'9" so I increased my intake from 1200 to about 1400 and started taking a multivitamin everyday along with a hair, skin, and nails vitamin with Biotin. So far, I haven't noticed much change and I'm starting to become paranoid! I have a lot of hair...but it seems like I'm losing tons! It definitely feels thinner, though my husband says it looks the same.

Should I be concerned about this? Is this normal with a significant weight loss? Should I see a doctor? I feel fine physically, just a little tired which could be because I started school full-time this fall. I was having a problem with nausea but that seems to have passed.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by CrazedLedZepFan; 10-20-2015 at 10:15 AM.
CrazedLedZepFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:30 AM   #2  
maintaining since 9/2013

Hi CrazedLedZepFan, Hang in there! It looks like you are on track upping your calories--you may actually need more to meet your basic energy needs!

Hair growth is cyclical so it can take a while for the growth cycle to resume. At first, it will be really short stubble that you can feel on your scalp. Before you know it, it should be back. My experience was similar to yours. My hair stylist said it tends to fall out beginning 90 days after a shock, physiological like dieting, or even emotional. I did not take supplements, just waited it out. i can't recall the amount of time, but it did fully grow back--at least a couple of months until it was all in at the usual length, (possibly 3-4 months).

In the Ideal Protein forum, you can search hair loss and if you have the patience to wade through the thread, there is a link that explains the hair growth cycle vary well. Sorry I have to run to work or I would find it for you.

It's a good idea to check in with a doctor. For one thing, you can make sure your thyroid is ok as that can take a hit on a restrictive diet, and can be responsible for hair loss. I also got great help from a clinical nutritionist who worked with all types of disordered eating & knew a lot about dieting.

Congrats on your weight loss!

Last edited by mars735; 10-20-2015 at 10:41 AM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:09 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 233/181/160

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735 View Post
Hi CrazedLedZepFan, Hang in there! It looks like you are on track upping your calories--you may actually need more to meet your basic energy needs!

Hair growth is cyclical so it can take a while for the growth cycle to resume. At first, it will be really short stubble that you can feel on your scalp. Before you know it, it should be back. My experience was similar to yours. My hair stylist said it tends to fall out beginning 90 days after a shock, physiological like dieting, or even emotional. I did not take supplements, just waited it out. i can't recall the amount of time, but it did fully grow back--at least a couple of months until it was all in at the usual length, (possibly 3-4 months).

In the Ideal Protein forum, you can search hair loss and if you have the patience to wade through the thread, there is a link that explains the hair growth cycle vary well. Sorry I have to run to work or I would find it for you.

It's a good idea to check in with a doctor. For one thing, you can make sure your thyroid is ok as that can take a hit on a restrictive diet, and can be responsible for hair loss. I also got great help from a clinical nutritionist who worked with all types of disordered eating & knew a lot about dieting.

Congrats on your weight loss!
Thank you so much for the reply. You've made me feel so much better about this. I was considering just going for an annual check-up considering I haven't been for awhile and it's probably just a good idea after a big weight loss.
CrazedLedZepFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:30 AM   #4  

When I lost weight quickly my hair fell out. It was like the perfect storm. Stress on many levels. And I was not great at absorbing nutrients. Still am not.

Also I agree with Mars re possibly checking just to make sure thyroid function is okay. My doctor thought that as long as my TSH was fine that it meant the T3 And T4 was fine too. So she did not order a full panel. I had a naturopath test and found out that while the TSH was being managed well, and numbers were within range, the T3 and T4 were off. I am not suggesting you have a naturopath test. Nor am I saying there is a problem. Just saying that it might be worth it to make sure you have a full Panel re: thyroid, if you feel drawn to making sure thyroid function is not the culprit. Congrats on the weight loss. Way to go !!!

Last edited by flower123; 10-20-2015 at 01:27 PM.
flower123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:02 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Also remember that it's autumn and I've noticed that my hair seems to shed a lot in the autumn.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote