Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-11-2015, 04:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 294/ticker/240

Height: 6' 4"

Default Losing steam due to schedule change

I've lost a little steam since hitting a low of 245 this year. The downward trend reversed itself in late May I am up around 8 lbs from that and struggling with hunger constantly.

My routine for the past year has been successful. It involves a sensible lunch and dinner and a bowl of soup in the evening. The bowl of soup staved off my late-night snacking problem, which is the only time I really had an issue controlling myself.

I think part of the issue is that I need to get up *very* early every day until late August when my schedule finally gets back to normal and I can get up at a more reasonable hour. I just can't get used to this early rising, my body does not like it. I am not a morning person, and it does not matter how early I go to bed, I just don't sleep right no matter what I do, and I am tired all the time, all day long, every day.

Instead of just being hungry in the evenings, I am ravenously hungry all the time. And, I can't have that bowl of soup in the evening anymore because I will be up in the middle of the night to pee and I will have trouble getting back to sleep.

My schedule will return to normal in about 6 weeks but I really don't want to be another 8 lbs heavier then, before I can get everything back under control. Plus my schedule will be like this every summer for the next few years, so I need a good solution!

I am open to suggestions!
superfluous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

The only thing I can think of, which you may or may not already be doing, is to drink caffeine in the morning and take a 20-minute power nap as soon as you come home. Those things might help alleviate your tiredness without interfering with your nightly sleep. Also, avoid high glycemic index carbs as much as possible since they would be most likely to trigger cravings and make you feel hungry all day long. I wish I could be of more help!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:20 PM   #3  
Determind Member

S/C/G: 323/313/168

Height: 5ft 6"

I wish had more help except for urgh I feel ya!
Only I am on the opposite schedule, Just now I am able to sleep in until 10, then I shower and do my hair and make up which means my breakfast is actually lunch. This allows me to have a salad for technically breakfast, low cal soup at about half 3, healthy dinner at about quarter past 6ish and then a low cal soup like you later on to curb the late hunger. But when I go back to uni, I am up at 6am. I am then HUNGRY ALLL THE TIME!!
I could have a large bowl of porridge (warm Oatmeal) with raisens and it will fill me for about an hour before my stomach rumbles again...

Constant nightmare....
Scotsgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 03:39 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Adjusting to a schedule change can be tricky but it's important to always make sure that your body has what it needs. If your sleep is off then your hunger will be off as well, the two are very dependent on each other. First of all, your body will adjust to the schedule if you allow it to. It sounds like you're fighting it mentally rather than embracing it for its positives and the mental struggle has an effect on your body like it or not. Approach this change with optimism and gratitude and you will soon reap benefits rather than be presented with obstacles.

So the things your body needs most are rest, sleep, movement, food, hydration, and laughter. Each need must be satisfied, if one is lacking the others will bear the brunt which is why so often we fall into the hands of hunger. Late night snacking might have its root in not eating enough for dinner or being too tired, but it is also a habit that can be broken. Just make sure you eat a reasonable dinner.

Prepare your sleeping space by keeping lights dimmed and staying away from a lot of screen time before bed, this can really mess up your sleep. Have you tried meditation and hypnosis apps? These help me when i'm having trouble sleeping. Are you getting enough physical activity throughout the day? If you're not active enough your body may not be tired enough to sleep early.

When you get up early try stretches. I do chi gong first thing in the morning, it fills my lungs with fresh air and gets my joints ready for the day and it's a great wake way to wake up. I've also noticed that a lot of non-morning type people like to start their day with a shower. Being a morning person myself this is unimaginable for me, showering is such a loud and jolting activity and I like my day to start gently, with silence and bright sunlight, a cup of coffee after my chi gong. You don't need to rattle yourself with loud alarms, turning on the tv, taking a cold shower, loud music and lots of activity. My rise is as gentle as the sunrise and I find showering at night to be much more peaceful when my senses are already accustomed to the sounds and sensations around me. Just a thought.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 03:15 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 294/ticker/240

Height: 6' 4"

I guess you're right, it has equalized... sort of. What I'm doing differently is just going to bed when I used to before the summer but still getting up early.

The trouble was due to me going to bed so early. I just can't sleep properly when I do that. I sleep lightly and poorly.

Of course I'm still not getting enough sleep during the week but at least I'm no longer ravenously hungry. I have lost some momentum and it will take a while to get to where I was before, but the important part is being on the right track.
superfluous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/230/199

Height: 5' 10.5"

I can relate. My schedule is changing to a shift that is 4 hours earlier. I get up and go to gym and meal prep then I get ready for work. New schedule I will have to get up before everyone else, get home make breakfast for all, get some ready for school. Get myself ready and hopefully I meal prepped the night before. I've been binging last few days because I'm stressing about something I should be able to do, but still I worry.

Last edited by nickilaughs; 07-17-2015 at 01:34 PM.
nickilaughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:44 PM   #7  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I get up early (4.45am-5am). The only (imo) way to deal with early starts is to evening prep as much as you can to make life simpler, especially breakfasts and lunches.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote