Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-31-2015, 12:56 AM   #1  
Proverbs 31:10-31

S/C/G: 200/146/120

Height: 5'1"

Question Negative medical side effects to weight loss?

Hey, this might be a weird question, but I was wondering if there were any negative side effects associated with weight loss, or Iif anyone has experienced any? I'm not talking about missing foods or stuff like that. Its not going to stop me from pursuing a healthy life style or anything, I'm just honestly curious.

I know the negative medical side effects from excess weight... Trouble sleeping, tiredness, etc. I know loosing weight too fast can lead to loose skin, but I've also heard that loose skin, depending your age and amount of weight lost, is often inevitable.Besides that though, is there anything health wise you should be looking out for with weight loss? I use and weigh myself periodically with my Wii fit U, and today it said "You're loosing weight too fast, I'm worried about your health". I know its probably more video game than doctor, but it got me honestly thinking about it. I'm more curious, less considered if you know what I mean.
SenseAndSensibility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 82/70.5/70kg

Height: 165cm

IF you are loosing weight by following a balanced diet and appropriate excercise then in general no.

If you just started your diet it is very common to loose a few kilos in the first week 6.61387 pounds (because the weight loss stabilises).

Unless you are starving yourself but then your metabolism will slow down as a result.
dimmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:36 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 244/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

When you're talking about losing weight quickly, or too quickly, there can be a range of negative things. Loose skin is one of them, of course, but also loss of lean muscle, gallstones, and liver damage. There's also the risk of yo-yo dieting.

Likely if you're losing quickly for weeks on end, then you're also severely restricting. When you start to eat normally again at the end of that cycle, you're more likely to pack back on a few pounds. High restriction also usually increases the desire to binge, which can also lead to yo-yo dieting. Most people who severely restrict without being medically supervised are also at risk for lacking in nutrients. That can cause a whole slew of other problems depending on which ones you're lacking.

That's all with continued rapid weight loss though. If you're losing at a healthy pace (which will likely vary depending on your starting weight, I'd consult your doctor to make sure you're losing in a healthy way if you're concerned) then the only thing you really need to look out for is loose skin based on what I've read. All the negatives are always associated with very low calorie type diets.
sunarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:01 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 178/156/150

Height: 5'8

I remember reading that carrying some extra fat on your hips/butt prevents heart disease. This is more related to keeping in the happy medium, not too much extra weight but not too skinny either.
RetroRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 1/1/18/ 202/169/126

Height: 5'3 3/4"

I can only think of one negative, that would be anorexia where everything has been taken to the extreme opposite end of all of the positive.
Mossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:22 PM   #6  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

There are definitely a few.

Vitamin and mineral deficiencies. So take a daily vitamin.

Potentially a lot of muscle loss. Can't be avoided if you are losing lots but you can compensate a little by eating sufficient protein and weight training.

And the killer, or almost for me....gallbladder. I lost fast and could feel it straining. I did not need it removed (you will know it if you do) but I felt the sucker.

Everything is good now I have lost the weight and am eating a massive, balanced diet. I eat a lot.

Last edited by IanG; 03-31-2015 at 04:25 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

I had gallstones when I was losing quite a bit of weight a few years ago, even though I was eating a healthy diet and losing at a sensible rate of a pound a week. Not fun at all.

The main one I can think of is that if dieting makes you miserable, then that's having a bad effect on your mental health, which in turn will affect your physical health. It can also affect your relationships and social life, which again has effects on your health. This is why it's so important to find a way of dieting that you can sustain comfortably, and that you can be happy and like yourself while you do it.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:17 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 250/199/125

gallstones and strain on your liver are the big ones I can think of. They're both working very hard when you're losing weight. I've had three friends who had bypass surgery, and two of them suffered minor heart attacks during the weight loss that followed. That may have more to do with the speed of weight loss, but I can't say for certain.

Personally and potentially TMI, if I have a meal with a higher fat content, within the hour I have a bout of gastric intestinal distress which needs some quality time with the plumbing. Unpleasant but fortunately short lived.
vchan000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

I had a time where I lost weight pretty quickly and I was very fatigued and my hair was falling out like crazy. I remember going to the gym and finding I couldn't lift the same weight I had lifted just a few weeks before. It wasn't just a bad day -- I simply didn't have the strength any more.

It seems to me that those were both signs that my body wasn't getting what it needed.

Are you consistently losing a lot, or did you have a whoosh and the Wii freaked out?

Last edited by thesame7lbs; 04-02-2015 at 11:28 PM.
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:23 AM   #10  

If you lose weight too quickly, it does create physical demands on the body. It can trigger headache, muscle loss, Electrolyte imbalance. Losing weight takes some time and effort.
bruceeatchel07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:31 AM   #11  

Height: 5' 7''

I get low blood pressure from losing weight.
Dizziness and loss of vision for a few seconds if I stand up quickly.
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:05 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
Everything is good now I have lost the weight and am eating a massive, balanced diet. I eat a lot.
I'm curious. Have you ever tallied up or estimated your daily calories on your current regimen?

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:34 PM   #13  
Proverbs 31:10-31

S/C/G: 200/146/120

I started my weight loss journey November 27th 2014 and have lost 37 pounds since then... Give or take. (I switched scales between, and I'm suspicious that the first scale might have weighed me heavier than I was cause it was older. I dropped about four pounds between scales)

As for weighing on the Wii U, its a little TMI but the only thing I could think is that I weighed after my period. When I'm on it, I just retain water and stay at the same weight for a week, and when it's done I tend to loose two-three pounds suddenly from the water weight disappearig. I went from 160 to 157, basically over night. But I only weigh in on my Wii like two-three times a month. It automatically sets up goal weights for you to hit after a certain time and I finally hit the weight it wanted me too weeks later than the "deadline" and it still said I was missing too fast, but its never said that before.

Thanks for the responses everyone! I think I will try and get a little more strength training in for my muscles sake and try and be more regular with yoga. I already swim pretty regularly... But I won't worry that I'm doing anything too hazardous to myself. As for protein for muscles... Does it matter when I eat the protein? Should I have it after working or before? I eat protein already, but I might be more conscious about what and when I'm eating it.
SenseAndSensibility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:54 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Yeah, my blood pressure is happier when I'm overweight too. Obviously this only applies to people who naturally have low blood pressure, and there are more people who find that they have high blood pressure when overweight and normal blood pressure when at a healthy weight.

To anyone who has low blood pressure, dizziness upon standing, fainting, that sort of thing: look into electrolyte drinks, they're fab. Nuun is the brand most people prefer if you want it without sugar, which we do. Also don't assume that salt is evil. Having too much salt isn't good, but if you don't have enough salt, you die, and my friend's ex did. Finding the right balance is different for everyone, and some of us actually need to add a lot of extra salt.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote