Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-09-2015, 01:22 PM   #1  

Default You Can’t Teach An Old Dog New Tricks Or Can You?

Yes, I am referring to myself although I have never thought of myself as an old dog. As each year comes and goes faster than the one before, I am finding myself thinking about my health more often. After careful thought to my question I say “YES “, you can teach an old dog new tricks (or habits).

Allow me to explain:

If you are like me and thinking of trying to get healthier seems a bit overwhelming. For one thing, where on earth do I begin? Do I start exercising like crazy and counting my calories, which seems like a full time job. Well, I realized I am not alone and honestly what a relief that is! Many of us seem overwhelmed. Just look at everything around us from commercials to the internet, we are being pulled in so many directions. I have to say I am luckier than the average person, why? Glad you asked. When I first met my husband, boyfriend back then “in high school”, he was obsessed with working out on a regular basis. I thought he was totally crazy and we use to argue about it all the time. We couldn’t do anything until he finished his workout for the day. I remember thinking what a dork! I am probably showing my age now, does anyone say dork anymore?

After we got married and had two adorable kiddos my husband’s habits started rubbing off on our kids. Was I the only sane person in this family who didn’t care about working out? Our son and daughter are now grown-ups and still have his nasty habit! I am finally starting to realize I have been more rebellious than our children. My whole family is in great shape and seems so happy about it. I can’t believe it’s taken me three decades to realize all the benefits of being healthy. Thank you God for teaching me new habits!!

Here are a few healthy habits I added to my everyday routine that helps me stay on track:

• I started doing my treadmill “again” four times a week with a 10 minute weight workout. You could break this up, but I would rather take an extra 10 minutes to get it over with so I don’t talk myself out of it later. After all, I am still a work in progress. Surprisingly it’s become easier and my legs are starting to look more in shape.

• I also started eating more and luckily it’s one of my favorite things to do! I have breakfast, lunch, and dinner with a snack in between. Have fruit, Greek yogurt or even smoothies which are my favorite to snack on. This allows you to keep up your metabolism.

• Watch your intake on carbohydrates and read the label before you buy it. Your snack may be low in calories, but high in carbs which isn’t good. Avoid fast food and think ahead so you can pack a healthy lunch.

• Decrease your portions at the table. If you’re like me I use to pile it on. By cutting your food portion to 10% to 20% less will make a difference.

• Drink plenty of water can help you not eat so much during meal time. Drink a glass of water 30 minutes before your meals and green tea during your meals. Don’t be surprised if you start shedding a few pounds and gaining more energy. I finally fit in to this dorky family and I love it!

Next time you think about getting fit or trying to take steps for becoming healthier just think of baby step. You can do this! Just don’t take as long as I did and believe in yourself and know you are worth it! If I can do it at age 48 so can you.
JulieRains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:02 PM   #2  
Hungry for Health! (-:

S/C/G: 141/108.8/BMI above 18.49

Height: 5'2"

Thumbs up

Very encouraging. Thanks for posting such helpful tips, and a fun, honest story.
HungerWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:11 PM   #3  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I am surprised your marriage lasted.

But now that you are doing this, you won't only feel better, I am pretty convinced your marriage will get even better too.

Nice work.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:26 PM   #4  

Thanks everyone for your kind words. It always helps to have encouragements from others. Now that fitness is part of my life, my family and I are finally on the same page.
JulieRains is offline   Reply With Quote