Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-15-2015, 09:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 311/300/200

Height: 5'5

Default My diet - advice needed please?

I've started back up again after a regain of over 40 pounds. I managed to lose a significant amount of weight the first time by eating this way; I would just like some advice on if what I'm eating is providing me with necessary nutrients and, if not, what I can do to ensure I'm getting appropriate levels of vitamins etc, apart from eating more.

Breakfast:

Fruit, coffee with no sugar.

Lunch:

2 eggs on wholegrain toast with tomatoes.

Dinner:

Lean meat and vegetables or salad.

Snacks:

I pce of fruit
orangeblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 223/146/140

Height: 5'2"

I took the liberty of estimating your calories at between 750-900. I counted a "piece of fruit" as 100 each since a banana and an apple are typically 100.

At your current weight my advice is actually to allow some more in your diet or to at least not lose all hope if you have a food that you did not plan on and then let it ruin anything because most likely you would still be in a calorie deficit.

Less is not ALWAYS more

I love using SELF magazines nutrition database. http://nutritiondata.self.com/
because it really gives a COMPLETE profile for a food item.

This might seem counter intuitive but make sure you get a little bit of fat in your diet. Also, I notice you have 0 to no dairy. (maybe in the coffee) While calcium can be found in veggies and fish, Vit D is usually not.
Earthling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:27 PM   #3  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Looks good to me.

If you are worried about vitamins, take a vitamin pill.

For a variation, you could have the eggs in the morning instead of the fruit and replace your lunch eggs and toast with chicken, shrimp, tofu or tuna. Or any other fish.

Last edited by IanG; 02-16-2015 at 04:32 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

It makes sense that you gained the weight back, you're not eating enough. And where's your breakfast? If you won't have breakfast you'll at the very least need to eat a substantial lunch.

You'll find that everyone's body works a little differently. All diets work as long as you stick with them. I can't tell you what to eat, I can only tell you to eat enough so that you're not hungry and gaining the weight back. I can tell you what works for me but how does that helps you? I'm losing weight and eating 3x the amount of food you're eating. I wouldn't dream of skipping breakfast because it makes me so hungry by lunch time that 2 little measly eggs wouldn't begin to satisfy me. I don't like snacking but if I do snack it has to be protein like cheese or nuts, a single fruit would make me so hungry I'd probably be reaching for chips soon after eating it.

You didn't fail, your diet failed you.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:12 PM   #5  

Thank you to everyone for your advice.

I don't usually eat breakfast because it makes me feel sick, but you're right and I know I probably need to just suck it up and eat it in order to stop myself feeling crazy hungry later on in the day. I'm going to up my calories a little (protein) and start eating breakfast.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 360/350/200

Height: 5'10"

I think maybe you should take a multivitamin and consider adding a healthy snack in there somewhere.
HomerGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:29 PM   #7  
Proverbs 31:10-31

S/C/G: 200/146/120

Height: 5'1"

I kind of agree that it seems a bit low, but everyone has a different body. Personally, I think you're better off switching to an eating plan that will be similar to your maintanence eating plan then cutting everything out. Because even if you are successful with that, you can't eat like that your whole life. Plus. like Ian said, you'll want to chake things up eventually with other stuff.

I don't think you necessarily have to eat breakfast, but you don't want to have virtually nothing all day until dinner either. You said you lost weight this way before, but I think the question after that should be "Why did it stop working?" And then make the necessary adjustments to prevent the same thing. Nutrition wise, I do think you're getting a decent spread of nutrition, but I'm also not a nutrionist or anything.
SenseAndSensibility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:34 PM   #8  

Also Palestrina, I have PCOS and have found that eating around 1500 is enough for me to maintain, or lose some weight very slowly, but not enough to lose a significant amount. I wish I could change this and eat three times as much and still lose, but I haven't ever found that to work. That said, I do think I'm eating too little and need to up it to at least 1100. I was so hungry last night I could have cried.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:45 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

That's terrible, that doesn't sound like nutritional plan at all, it sounds like a bitter punishment. You can do that to yourself.

It's taken me a long time to figure out what works for me and I won't be like some other people around the forum who go around thinking there is only one way to do eat and be healthy. Every body is different so be kind to yourself until you can figure it all out. I wasn't making a judgement on your choice of not eating breakfast. But common sense tells me that we need nourishment earlier in the day because we have a lot of things to do during that time. All I was saying was that if I ate that little I'd be crying after dinner too.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:46 PM   #10  

You need to eat so much more than that to lose weight!

If you are doing no exercise (just hypothetical), you'd lose weight eating 2,000 calories a day at your current weight. It took me a long time to learn that and I started out weighing more than you.

If you are exercising, you can eat a bit more than 2,000 and keep losing weight too.

Keeping ourselves full with healthy food and lots of water is the key to losing weight. If I ate what you ate a day, I'd be up to 400 in no time as I'd be bingeing left and right due to hunger and feeling like I'm starving.

My insurance covered 3 visits a year to a dietician. Do you have someone you can go see and discuss your PCOS and diet needs?
TheLastStraw323 is offline   Reply With Quote