Need help/support/suggestions! - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-10-2015, 05:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/198/165

Default Need help/support/suggestions!

Hello folks! This is my first post - but I have lurked around for a while. Here's the deal....

I am SO stuck.

I'm having SUCH a hard time losing weight, and I seem to just be gaining and gaining. I need some help in terms of new tools, suggestions, ideas, etc.

I workout consistently 4-5 times a week, and have been for 1.5 years. I lift 2 times and do cardio the others. I lift heavy, run 2-3 miles, do the elliptical for 45min-1hr (usually about 5ish miles), or use the stair-stepper. I try to change it up so my body isn't getting too comfortable.

I eat relatively healthy, no fast food and rarely any take-out/restaurants (my IBS won't let me). I don't drink any sodas (diet or otherwise) and rarely, if ever, eat sweet stuff. I do NOT count calories nor do I keep a food diary, because I have a history of an eating disorder, and I think getting into those numbers would be bad for me. I drink about 4 L of water a day.

My weight has been creeping up and up for the past year. At my last doc's appointment it was 209 -- I'm a 5'6" woman. I had been maintaining at about 165 for a few years. I know I'm always going to be on the heavier side - that's just how I'm built, and I'm ok with that! But going over 200 was shocking to me!!

I've had the thyroid tests (TSH and T3 and T4) and they are all normal.

I feel like I'm doing everything right!!! But my weight is not reflecting that. Does anyone have any ideas? Words of wisdom? Or anything new I can incorporate into my routine?

Help?
wildwyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:32 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

At your weight and height, eating those foods and working out that much you must be eating a ton of stuff to still be gaining.

I would cut back on your portion sizes or skip a meal. Or be more critical of what you are eating. What exactly are you consuming?

I work out a lot and eat a lot of healthy stuff (and I mean a lot) and manage to maintain.

Last edited by IanG; 02-10-2015 at 05:33 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:36 PM   #3  
Rain on the Beach

Height: 5'3"

How's your carbohydrate intake? I know some people have difficulty losing weight if they're consuming too many carbs, particularly refined, starchy foods like bread, rice and pasta. Restricting those may help. I can relate to being aversive to calorie-counting. It would drive me crazy if I have to do it, which is why I've opted for a low-carb lifestyle. Increasing sources of healthy fats, like nuts, avocados and fish, may also help (and will keep you full).

It's good to hear your thyroid is normal, but I've heard Vitamin D deficiency can also be a culprit to slow weight loss, so that might be something to check with your doctor as well.
Lluvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:36 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
At your weight and height, eating those foods and working out that much you must be eating a ton of stuff to still be gaining.

I would cut back on your portion sizes or skip a meal. Or be more critical of what you are eating. What exactly are you consuming?

I work out a lot and eat a lot of healthy stuff (and I mean a lot) and manage to maintain.
Thanks so much for your reply.

I will cut back on portion sizes. Here's my yesterday for more specifics:
45mins elliptical, 4.25 miles
-Breakfast: Leftover dinner - cajun chicken with wild rice, bell peppers, onion, and tomatoes (about 1 cup. I usually have a leftover for breakfast)
-Snack: serving size of almonds (I do carefully watch almond servings)
-Lunch:Can of campbell's soup
-Dinner: GF pasta with leeks and a cauliflower/coconut milk "alfredo" sauce (about 3/4 cup)

I don't eat gluten or dairy because it wreaks havoc on my IBS. I feel like I'm pretty good at estimating portion sizes because of my history with an eating disorder, but maybe I'm way off!! I'll take a better look at it.

Last edited by wildwyo; 02-10-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:55 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lluvia View Post
How's your carbohydrate intake? I know some people have difficulty losing weight if they're consuming too many carbs, particularly refined, starchy foods like bread, rice and pasta.
Maybe carbs are it for me? We do fix a lot of rice dishes, and some GF pasta. I don't really eat a lot of potatoes, or GF bread. I'll take a closer look at my diet to see if I can lighten up the carbs. I'll look into the vit D suggestion too!

I feel like I'm in a precarious situation, because I want to be careful of slipping back into bad behaviors, but this weight is not healthy!
Old 02-10-2015, 09:06 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I agree with Ian. Your portions are probably too big to create a deficit. I can understand the need to proceed with caution with having a history of disordered eating. If numbers are too triggering, maybe you could eat off of smaller plates and bowls? Or use smaller serving utensils? Practicing mindful eating might help reduce your intake without consciously restricting and chancing the binge/restrict cycle.

Last edited by Streudel; 02-10-2015 at 09:07 PM.
Streudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:41 PM   #7  

Thanks for the thoughtful response Streudel. And another good tip about plate size - I've heard that before but just didn't think about how useful it could be.

I weighed myself again today and was at 201 with shoes/clothes at the doc's office (two weeks since my last weigh-in). I'm hoping that this is actually a loss and not just a part of fluctuation! I should probably start weighing myself at least once a week to keep better tabs.

Last edited by wildwyo; 02-11-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:03 PM   #8  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Yes, you should start weighing more often.

And can I suggest NAKED, JUST AFTER YOU WAKE UP, BEFORE YOU EAT AND DRINK ANYTHING, AND PREFERABLY AFTER YOU PEE!

Sorry about the capitals. But consistency is the key to weighing. And I have practiced that since day 1. Drinking a cup of water can make you seem to gain. Missing a sh!t can make you gain. So you need to be as consistent as possible with weighing if it is to tell you anything.

Oh, and get a good digital scale.

Last edited by IanG; 02-11-2015 at 10:04 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:14 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 170/157/132

You can add a snack before your dinner and drink more water after each snack.
caokycuong is offline   Reply With Quote