Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-28-2015, 12:46 PM   #1  

Height: 5"6

Default Measurements Down but Weight is Up?

Hey everyone,

I wonder if I could ask for some advice! I know we need to make sure we are honest with ourselves about what we are eating and I truly feel like I am. I have written my daily calories down since New Year's and my plan was to weigh in once monthly to avoid the scale anxiety I used to have.

Well, it's almost time for the March 1st weigh in and I have been peeking a bit this week and my current weight is actually 3 lbs heavier than my start of February weight. So, not only did I not lose like I expected, but I may have gained?

The thing is- my measurements are down. I know there are a myriad of possibilities such as bloat, TOM etc but I wanted to lay out what I am doing in case there is a glaring error in what I am doing. I have been working really hard and I am disappointed to not see it yet.

Basically, I've been netting 1200 calories daily, eating back workout calories burned, doing cardio about 3 times a week and doing strength/circuits twice a week. When I measure, I am careful not to pull the measuring tape tight because I know I used to do that. I am confident my measurements are good.

Option 1- muscle. Let's be real, people. I am proud of the strength training I am adding in but I sincerely doubt I have added real muscle mass!

Option 2- I'm just a bit bloated from TOM (which I know is normal) and February was a maintenance month bc that just happens sometimes, and I'm really just still close to 159.

Option 3- I did gain, but I don't see how that's possible

Option 4- The weight loss gods are mocking me

If anyone has any experiences with weight being up but measurements being down, I'd love to hear about it. The measurements being down make me go "okay, girl- you're doing great- keep doing what you're doing!" but the scale makes me go "ok, you need to reevaluate for March". I just want to be happy and healthy and these opposing forces of evidence make me unsure how to proceed. I am considering upping my calories for March and I am totally comfortable with that, since last time I lost, it was all 1500. I am just nervous- I wish our bodies had a "check engine" light so we could know what was going on!!!

Thanks, team!

Last edited by NorthernChick13; 02-28-2015 at 01:03 PM.
NorthernChick13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:43 PM   #2  
Warrior Princess

A lot of us experienced a jump up on the scale in the beginning of exercise. Rely more on how your pants feel right now but I know how it feels to bust your butt the first month and see a gain. It's not a fat gain, it's water. You're doing all the right things, you will see a loss soon.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote