Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-01-2015, 02:36 PM   #1  

Default I don't look like I should be exercising!

I haven't been around in a while, probably at least a month. No reason other than I needed some time away from the computer along with busy around the holidays.

I posted because for the first time ever I feel like my body size and its ability don't match up and its making me uncomfortable. This is going to sound weird so bare with me.

In the past when I have been over weight (obese) during and after my pregnancies, I have also been out of shape. So I looked out of shape and was!

But this time I have not stopped exercising, specifically running. I have been eating pretty well, a little tough around Christmas, but I'm back to clean eating again, but boy do I eat a lot when pregnant. Especially days I exercise! I am a bottomless pit.

My running has slowed down and I do need walk breaks, but I just did a 5k a few weeks ago, and still do at least 3 runs a week, sometimes 4. I also do strength training for my upper body.

But the weird part is I feel uncomfortable being out running. Because I'm big. I'm just a few pounds under 200 lbs right now and my belly is huge! And I've got that preggo butt again, wide and well....yikes...I seriously look like I could barely make it up a flight of stairs let alone run a few miles.

In my mind's eye I feel like I did at 160 lbs but I don't look like that. This is weird, I keep thinking I shouldn't be able to do what I'm doing, but I am. I told my doctor I was still exercising and I felt weird saying anything, because I felt like she was thinking "oh you don't really exercise, look at you!" But I know this is in my own head.

This is the first time I have ever felt like this. I feel really anxious to get the weight off after the baby because I feel very uncomfortable in my own skin.

I don't know what my point is of this post other than to get it out because the more weight I gain the worst I feel mentally when being active.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/208/190

Height: 6' 6"

Default Weight Loss for Appearance versus Health

I think you may dealing with a cognitive dissonance between weight loss for health and weight loss for appearance. Some people want to lose weight primarily for health, some want to lose it primarily to look better, though most want both to some extent.

So I say that it's good for you to get your feelings out and then just let it go. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks at this point - you're in transition. You're exercising for your health and that is awesome! Once your hormones and other factors are back to your normal, your appearance will begin to match your fitness level, and you'll be back to feeling congruent.

But again, in the meantime, remember that it doesn't matter what other people think. When we seek other people's acceptance, it means that we aren't accepting ourselves.

Great job on the running, GG. Keep it up!
Keith Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4

All I can say is good for you! You are doing a wonderful thing for you and your baby by running and eating healthfully. I wish I'd have done that when I was pregnant.

Quote:
But the weird part is I feel uncomfortable being out running. Because I'm big. I'm just a few pounds under 200 lbs right now and my belly is huge! And I've got that preggo butt again, wide and well....yikes...I seriously look like I could barely make it up a flight of stairs let alone run a few miles.

Me too. Except I'm not pregnant.

I have those moments too. I call it big girl syndrome. We get all this crap pounded into our heads when we're in middle school that we continue to hear long after we've grown up and the mean girls have moved on.

When my inner " Mean Girl " gets started, I remind myself that regardless of what I look like, I CAN run up a flight of stairs. And 5 miles on top of that. I remind myself that people who see me out running are either runners themselves, and therefore are looking at me and thinking " You go girl, " or they aren't, and they're probably thinking, " Gee, I wish I could do that ".

Only sad, pathetic people look at an overweight person running and think something negative about them.
Streudel is offline   Reply With Quote