Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-14-2014, 11:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/182/155

Height: 5'8

Default Confidence and body image

I don't know where to put this thread...

I'm not sure about you, but for me I go through phases where I look in the mirror and feel really good, I can picture myself at a normal weight, etc. Other times I act like I'm still a morbidly obese person. When that happens I usually wear baggy clothing that hides my body, I don't dress up nice often, I feel uncomfortable and it's like I'm still 300lbs!

I'm aware weight loss doesn't help with everything, but come on! Wheres my self confidence? I know I'm still big, maybe once I reach an average weight I'll feel better?

How do you feel in your body? Thoughts?
df180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:01 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Wow you've lost a lot of weight! That's fantastic, you must feel very proud. But I understand what you mean about self confidence, you're not the first person I've met who's lost a lot of weight and yet still feels unsatisfied with their self image.

Firstly, we base our self confidence on whether or not we're thin and that's not exactly realistic is it? Skinny people have confidence problems, they go through divorces, they get fired from their jobs, being skinny doesn't guarantee a glamorous life. It never has and it never will. So why do we hang our hopes on our life being different when we lose weight?

Self confidence is a skill, it's something you have to work at daily! And it doesn't matter what you weigh or what you look like, you can have self confidence no matter what. It's not something that will automatically be rewarded to you when you reach your goal weight. You have to work for it and sometimes that's even harder work than losing weight.

I've seen tremendous growth in my self confidence since I started working at it. I used to hate looking in the mirror, hated taking pictures, hated being near skinny people because I paled in comparison, I had no confidence at all. What I didn't know is that I was the one who was holding myself down. I imprisoned myself with self abusive talk. Everytime I looked in the mirror I said terrible things to myself like "your thighs are disgusting" and "look how your belly hangs there, it's disgusting." I justified this behavior by thinking that I was being REAL with myself, that I was giving myself the swift kick in the butt that I needed. But really all it was was self abuse. I wouldn't speak that way to my child or my friend or even an enemy, so why did I speak like that to my own self and expecting some kind of result? And here's the worst part, I didn't even realize I was doing it. It was so ingrained in me, the dialogue was going on for so long that I didn't notice it anymore. That's why I would wince when I caught a reflection of myself in the mirror, not because I looked bad but because my immediate reaction was so abusive.

Anyway, I changed all of that. A good start is a book called Beautiful You: a daily guide to radical self acceptance http://rosiemolinary.com/beautiful-you/
which has a daily journaling exercise for a whole year, it's really helpful in getting your mindset towards self love rather than self hate. There is also a book by Tara Brach called Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life With the Heart of a Buddha which is also wonderful.

Then I set out to look at myself in the mirror and say kind things. Stand naked and observe without judgment. Describe your body using words that are descriptive but not judgmental. Do this for several days and then slowly start adding positive words. I still do this. Then you have to learn to recognize the random negative thoughts that enter your mind throughout the course of the day and swing at them like a baseball bat. They pop up out of nowhere and when they do find at least THREE positive statements to combat it. For example if you randomly come across the thought that your arm fat is gross combat it with "my arms are strong" "my arms lift my baby into my arms every day" and "my skin on my arms is looking so good now that I've committed to exfoliating regularly." After you practice these things for a while it becomes ingrained, it's a habit.

I can tell you that even though I still weigh a lot I feel really really good about myself. And that has translated into feeling more confident in all my clothes, looking forward to pictures, not feeling intimidated by other women, and wearing cute clothes even to go to the grocery store.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 04:47 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/165/143

Height: 5'2"

Congrats on the weight loss!

I agree with Wannabeskinny confidence is something you have to practice every day. It's easier said than done, though.

Sometimes I feel super confident about the way I look, even though I'm still overweighted. But sometimes I feel so ashamed I can barely go outside.

When I'm being bombarded with my own negative thoughts I always try to do my best to stop and start saying good things instead. The more you practice, the easier it becomes.

Another thing that works for me is having role models that aren't super thin. My favorite model for instance is Tara Lynn and she's a good reminder that no matter your size you can always look cute.
Cute Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:26 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 152/135/125

I have been through that once. I had lost 20kg and I was REALLY skinny.. like, when I see the photos now, I realize why people had been worried. I looked bad. But back then, I didn't see it. Some days, I felt great. I felt like I just needed to lose a little bit more, but even if I didn't, I was looking great. The next day, I'd feel like I never lost anything. I felt fat and it made me miserable and made me binge eat. I gained 15kg back. Right now, I am back at a good weight. When I look at photos, I am pleased. But I still feel like I could lose a little more when I look in the morror. This time round, I know to be careful. It takes your brain quite some time to catch up.
Amygdala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:08 PM   #5  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Self confidence has nothing to do with what you weigh, or how you look.

My husband has 2 fingers that have been amputated due to a work accident. He does not run around with his hand in his pocket all the time.

Self confidence is what is within you, not what the surface looks like!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 160/155/120

Height: 5'2"

I liked what wannabeskinny said about self confidence being a skills.

I have a massive ego - so most of the time i go about my business perfectly fine. And if i'm wearing a flattering outfit, i'm like - oh you're so cute (to myself)

But then i can catch a glimpse of myself in a full length mirror or see a picture of myself and i'm like - wow. you're fat and out of shape and my mind goes down a dark path.

the one thing that helps me is thinking about the people who love me and why they love me. It has nothing to do with the way i look. And that is a very empowering feeling (you can even think about the people you love and why you love them - it's nothing to do with their weight or size)
maddierep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 294/ticker/240

Height: 6' 4"

I get that looking in the mirror thing, I am always surprised at some level when I see myself in a mirror or especially in pictures with other people who are smaller, because my mind still thinks I am thin. I still bump into things, sometimes knock things over because my mind perceives my body to be much smaller than it is.

I used to be thin, for many years I had a normal BMI but didn't really start gaining like crazy until the early 2000s when I hit the 280-290s and pretty much stayed there.

Anyway, I do think you will feel much better when your body matches what you want or think it should be. I know I will feel more "right" as I am feeling better about myself daily. But I also know that being thin is not the panacea we're looking for, it just gets us closer to it.
superfluous is offline   Reply With Quote