Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-24-2014, 10:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

Unhappy Not hungry. Sore throat.

Bleh. I'm at only 991 out of my 2100 calories for the day and it's 7pm and I just don't think I feel like eating any more. And my throat hurts so I'm assuming I'm getting sick.

I've been trying so hard to stick really close to my calorie goal even when it means eating some chicken to keep my protein up when I'm not enthusiastic about food in the evening (it's only happened once or twice, I'm not whining about having an easy time dieting or anything like that... Some times it's just easier/harder than other times)...

But I just don't know if I should eat more, or go to sleep early, or what. -.-;;

I guess maybe I'll be hungrier tomorrow if I just go to bed early, and I can make up the calories then? I dunno. What do you guys do? Just not eat when you're not hungry? That seems like the logical thing but I've been trying so hard to lose SLOWLY.
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:17 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by faiora View Post
What do you guys do? Just not eat when you're not hungry? That seems like the logical thing but I've been trying so hard to lose SLOWLY.
Ugh that's what I hate most about diets and calorie counting. All the must-dos and dictated regime doesn't take into account how you feel and it urges you to ignore what your body is trying to communicate to you. The heck with those missing calories, your body is talking loud and clear. It does not want food, it wants rest because it's fighting a bug. Do as it says.

One repeated calorie alotment day to day is such an unnatural state of eating. Some days you will be hungrier and other days you will be less hungry. Bodies are not meant to run on mathematical formulas and consistently overriding your body's messages on hunger and fullness just leads to more and more disconnection with your physical needs.

I'm sorry you're not feeling well, I had a bad cold in September and it sucked. Rest up and drink lots of fluids. Tomorrow you'll want something to eat.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:25 AM   #3  

Yeah I ended up just going to sleep. Even though my husband was in there sleeping until his night shift and I was worried about making him sick. >.>

Thing is, while "listening to your body" usually seems like logical good advice, there have been plenty of times when it has turned out not to be, for me. For example, before I started by current eating plan, I felt hungry all the time, even 20 minutes after eating a big meal. So I would just keep eating. But it turned out it wasn't food I needed after all, it was more water and less salt (or at least, I think that's how it was resolved).

And I remember when I had my wisdom teeth taken out I had been living on yogourt and whatnot for days and I felt nauseous from it and didn't want to eat anything anymore, and my mom put a hearty chicken soup in the blender for me and I felt so much better right away... It wasn't food I didn't want, it was sugar I'd had too much of.

Everything makes so much more sense in hindsight...

Anyway this morning still feeling gross and not hungry, but someone on a snacks thread mentioned jello pudding and that sounds okay and I'm pretty sure I have a pack of that left in the cupboard somewhere.... Gonna go track it down

Thanks for your response ^.^

(Side note: I'm not eating exactly the same number of calories every day, I'm just staying in a general range and trying to be really close on average. And if I'm really low or really high, making sure that number makes sense with the days around it. E.g. I overate one day on vacation but I was naturally under the next few days so I decided it was fine. Just, last night I was WAY under. I might be again today, but we'll see I guess)

Last edited by faiora; 10-25-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:51 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 101/ - /58.8 kgs

Height: 1, 58 m

I don't think you should worry so much whenever you are feeling sick and not wating to eat. This is a body mechanism that most of us have and that will often make us eat much much less when feeling bad. Digestion may not be your body's first priority when he's begining to fight a bug. If you must eat, always try do do what you've already said you've been doing on your second post: try and think about what kind of foods might make you feel good. Sometimes i'm not ok and i've had real low calorie intake. I then try to imagine how my body would feel if i ate this or that. How would my body feel if i ate pasta, a salad, mangos, soup, etc. Sometimes we really, really need an especific food and that's all our body will take. I do agree with Wannabeskinny though and don't think you should eat at all if after doing that whole thinking exercise you still don't feel like eating anything.

Last edited by Marina Brasil; 10-25-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Marina Brasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 244/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

If I have a day where I don't feel hungry, then I just skip the extra food for that day. I had a cold a few weeks back and there were a few days where I was well under points because I just wasn't hungry. I'd still eat, because you do still want food to help your body fight.. but I wouldn't eat full meals. It was a piece of toast here or there, or maybe some crackers or a smoothie. Sounds like you already did that

I didn't make up for the points I didn't eat, just got back with the program once I started feeling better.

I think as long as it's not something you're doing day after day (cause that gets unhealthy/dangerous) then every so often if you just don't feel hungry, it's fine to eat less.
sunarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:50 PM   #6  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Why so worried about losing slowly? I'm not sure what rate of loss you are terming "slow", but don't unduly stress yourself out over it. Unless there is some medical condition you are dealing with?

I know people worry about preserving lean muscle mass, but if you eat well (but in a deficit) and do some strength training, you'll be fine. Just my opinion of course. I just hate to see you stress over not feeling hungry when you're sick, which is pretty natural.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 03:39 PM   #7  

Height: 5"6

Don't sweat it, faoira and get well soon! I calorie count too (just works for me- everyone do what works for you! ) and Jillian Michaels talks about high and low days. So if my magic number is 1500, I can do 1200 one day and 1800 the next- remember that it's not about daily perfection but overall consistency.

You're doing great, minus the sore throat!
NorthernChick13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:33 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Snark View Post
Why so worried about losing slowly? I'm not sure what rate of loss you are terming "slow", but don't unduly stress yourself out over it. Unless there is some medical condition you are dealing with?

I know people worry about preserving lean muscle mass, but if you eat well (but in a deficit) and do some strength training, you'll be fine. Just my opinion of course. I just hate to see you stress over not feeling hungry when you're sick, which is pretty natural.
It's mostly that before I started losing weight I was terrified of losing weight. Terrified because I'd done it twice and gained it all back with interest.

So in my mind, the slower I lose, the safer it will be and the more likely I am to keep it off. Some of that is maintenance of lean mass, some of it is my body not rebelling, and a lot of it is just for my mental and emotional ability to continue, I guess.

Logically I know I always eat less when I'm sick even when im not trying to lose weight. But it's good to have that reinforcement from everyone here.

So, thanks guys!

Side note, my cat is being super sweet which I am assuming is because I am sick. A few minutes ago he actually crawled under the blankets with me and curled up against my back! He is a big fluffy cat and under blankets is NOT something he normally would even consider. love my kitty!

Last edited by faiora; 10-25-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:55 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by faiora View Post
What do you guys do? Just not eat when you're not hungry?
If I ever have a day when I'm not hungry, I'll let you know. I'm not kidding. I never lose my appetite, even when I'm sick.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:52 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
If I ever have a day when I'm not hungry, I'll let you know. I'm not kidding. I never lose my appetite, even when I'm sick.

F.
haha ME TOO!!
3fcuser291505109 is offline   Reply With Quote