Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-11-2014, 11:14 AM   #1  
I Can & I Will!

S/C/G: 400 S / Ticker C / 160 G

Height: 5'7

Question Does anyone else go through this...?

This happens to me regularly and it's kinda frustrating. This past week for five days I lost absolutely nothing. (I didn't gain anything either though.) Then Friday I lose 3 lbs and today I lost 2 pounds. What's with that? It's happened to me since I was teenager. Am I the only one who goes through this? :/

PS Can anyone recommend a good exercise DVD for those at a heavy weight? Even though I've lost a lot I have FMS and RA so I have to take exercises really slow. With winter coming I soon won't be able to walk and need to come up with another way to exercise.

Last edited by Jesslan Rose; 10-11-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Jesslan Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Happens to me every month, about twice a month now that I've been losing for a while and now that my monthly cycle is normal.

I'll stay within a two pound range for the week or so during ovulation and the week of my period. The off weeks usually see a drop on the scale daily.

My thought on this is that I'm steadily burning fat the whole time since I'm in a calorie deficit. But since I'm at the point where I can only reasonably expect to lose 1-1.5 lbs per week, that loss can easily be masked by a couple pounds of fluid retention due to hormones.

The hormones peak, I drop the fluid I've been holding, and voila: 3-4 pound whoosh. Same thing happens when I exercise hard enough to get muscle soreness.

I get frustrated with it sometimes too, but it doesn't bother me as much now that I'm used to it and I can actually predict when it's going to happen.

Just keep telling yourself that if you're at a calorie deficit, sooner or later the scale is going to have to show it. Hang in there!
Streudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 297/182/155

Height: 5'8

I've been there... I agree with streudel. Keep at it!
I don't have any dvd suggestions...maybe go into a store and see what you like? Is a gym membership a possibility for you during winter? What about indoor recreational activities?
df180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:11 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 244/ticker/130

This isn't really a DVD suggestion, but the program I work out to right now is called Daily Burn. They have a channel on the Roku, and an app you can download to various devices, or you can run the videos from the computer. I do their "True Beginner" program. It's only 20-30 minutes a workout, and focuses on very basics. Right now it's still enough to get my sweating. Daily Burn subscription is $10 per month.
sunarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:24 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 207/121/128

Height: 5'5"

Hiya Jeslan Rose, In terms of a workout, you don't need to buy any DVD's, just type in beginner workouts into YouTube, there's a lot of low impact, fairly easy beginner workouts available, and as you get fitter, you can progress to tougher ones, and it's all for free, which is even better than "try before you buy" Best of Luck
DLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 101/ - /58.8 kgs

Height: 1, 58 m

Doesn't happen to me, but i sooooo wish it did! Lol! Sometimes i lose nothing for 5 days and that's it... nothing good like losing 3 lbs happens.... now i'm pissed!

Last edited by Marina Brasil; 10-12-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Marina Brasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 04:30 PM   #7  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

It happens to me all the time. I just make sure to eat right, count calories, and follow my walking program.

The last 8 days or so of the month, I make sure I eat really clean, I avoid really salty foods and up the water.

I have a great weigh in day on the 1st of the month and that is what I truly go by.

I count how many lbs lost from month to month.

I don't get caught up in the daily fluctuations.

Last edited by Jasmine31; 10-12-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:35 AM   #8  
I Can & I Will!

I haven't had a scale in the house in more than 8 years. I could only go by my every three months Dr visits or when I happened to be at my parents and checked on their scale. But now that I bought a scale for home about 2 weeks ago it came back to me how on and off my losing is. It was very frustrating that I went from no walking to 7 miles of walking in the past week and I wasn't losing anything. Then *bam* I lose 5 lbs in 2 days. LOL Don't get me wrong... the losing 5 lbs is grrrreat, but it would be nice to lose weight continually instead of sporadically. Especially when I'm working so hard for it. LOL

Streudel, That could very well be my problem. I'll have to add this to my diet journal and see in a few months if that's my case too. Thank you! I don't think it would've occured to me that might be part of my issue.

Thank you for all your tips on the exercise dvd's. I especially like the idea of the ones on you tube. Gonna have to check those out.

Awww Sorry Marina!! I know how upsetting it can be.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 154/135

Height: 5'2

Well it sounds like a great problem to have! Lol. Just stick to it, you've lost 5 pounds in a week, that's great!

Alisa Keeton on YouTube has a lot of great workouts.
TheHotMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:24 AM   #10  
I Can & I Will!

Thank you Hot Mom! And thanks for the tip on Alisa Keeton!
Old 10-14-2014, 04:10 AM   #11  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

This happened to me when I first started running. I honestly don't know the science behind it, but I always thought of it like my body was getting used to all the extra strain I was putting on it out of the blue. When my body got used to all the running, it would then begin to change. It's frustrating when you're working hard and you don't see results until weeks later, but it's a good test of personal strength to stick with it and have faith you're doing things right. You've been rewarded for all your efforts at once, you should feel awesome!
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:15 AM   #12  
I Can & I Will!

Thanks for the encouragement, Riestrella! I go walking everyday that my knee or fibro doesn't prevent me . So I'm ecstatic I've found I actually love doing it. Hopefully that means lots more lbs lost soon.

I read your blog entry about learning the dance. I enjoy music from Girls Generation too. Like Oscar and The Boys. Wow are they incredibly coordinated and talented dancers! (And yes, I envy those legs too.) Over the past couple months I considered learning the dance moves of my fav kpop bands in their videos like Girls Generation, B2st, U-Kiss and Shinee. But I have yet to put them on a disk for my tv. LOL When the snow starts flying and I can no longer walk I'll probably buckle down and do it. Though I am terribly uncoordinated so it isn't gonna look pretty. Good thing I live alone. LOL
Old 10-14-2014, 04:15 PM   #13  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

I'm glad you've found something you love!
It's a lot of fun putting on a video of a dance I love and starting to learn the steps. Honestly, unless I become awesome at it, no one is going to see me do it! It's just so much fun! I'm pretty uncoordinated too! I'd love to learn 2NE1's "I am the Best" and 4minute's "Huh" dance too. But one step at a time!

Last edited by Riestrella; 10-14-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:43 PM   #14  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

To the original poster, and all others.

Weight loss is not linear.

Get a 3500 cal deficit, a pound just not go "POOF!" We could all wish!

The journey is different for everyone.

The key is to stick with it, learn your body, and work with it, don't fight it!

There is no failure, only feedback!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:20 PM   #15  
I Can & I Will!

Riestrella, I've heard of the groups 4minute and 2NE1, but haven't heard any of their music yet. I'll have to check out those two songs and more of theirs too.