Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-05-2014, 08:11 AM   #1  
mam1958

S/C/G: 307/267/160

Height: 5'6"

Red face So embarrassed

The other day I took my niece to the beach a beautiful day. She just loved it. In the water the whole day.

I had a great day was not uncomfortable in my bathing suit even though I am nearly 300. There was mostly families at the beach so it was fine.

But what embarrassed me was I fell twice in the water being pushed over by the waves. The wave hitting was fine the problem was getting back up. The old knees just didn't want to help. My husband helped me up the first time.

The second time my 8 yr old niece came over to help. But after a few tries I got up. But I realize if I really fell and couldn't get up it would be hard for the lifeguard to help me.

Me being so big him being so small.

I have to begin a healthy eating lifestyle and exercise program. I can no longer make excuses for myself.

I can't keep depending on people to help me up.

I have to take it slowly and be patient (something I am not).

Thanks for listening I really needed to get this off my chest to help me move on. I know people here on 3fc's would understand..

Last edited by mam1958; 07-05-2014 at 08:12 AM.
mam1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:40 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

That is a scary realization indeed. Just know that lifeguards are strong and know how to deal with these situations. Have faith in them. But I can imagine that getting up with difficulty must have been frightening for you, I often feel that way myself. What if something happens to me and my husband can't get me out of danger because I weigh more than him? When we come face to face with these possibilities it provokes us into action.

However you choose to go about getting healthier just remember to be patience and extremely kind to yourself. Don't say discouraging things to yourself, be kind and gentle and loving. Nurture yourself with thoughts that will foster growth and self love like:

- my body is strong and I can get stronger
- I am beautiful
- I have so much to look forward to
- I and my family love me no matter what I weigh
- I can't wait to go back to the beach again

It sounds a little frufru but positivity begets positivity. If you check the General Diet plans section and go into the Intuitive eating July thread I have posted a really powerful Ted Talk about self compassion - which I found thanks to another poster (thanks Pattience!). It's not really about weight loss but I hope it will fill you with the strength and hope it gives me.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:43 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

So you don't have to go through the trouble of searching for it http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IvtZBUSplr4
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:56 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 212.6/144.2/121

Height: 5'5"

It is not just about emergencies. When my office would be closed over Christmas they would want us to unplug our computers. I had problems crawling around under the desk and getting up. This was not only the weight, but also just being out of shape. My leg muscles not being strong enough.

When I first decided to lose weight, I went to this one gym and went to Body Pump classes, but they wanted us to lie down on the step and lift the weight from that angle = hard to get down and hard to get up.

So then I spent like 6 months losing weight and doing lots of cardio and joined a different gym with lots of body weight exercises in the classes. Burpees, mountain climbers, etc. Up and down off the floor. Not a problem anymore.

I think it is just about functioning better in life, not just about emergencies. Just something to work towards.

Last edited by buddha belly; 07-05-2014 at 09:57 AM.
buddha belly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:19 AM   #5  
[url=http://www.TickerFac

S/C/G: 213/211/150

Height: 5'2"

I feel that way every time I sit on the floor or get up from a big couch. Kinda like uhh I shoulda thought this through because now I can't get up! lol Im workin on it though. Don't worry you can do this!
LuLu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:29 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

I remember my "moment" of realizing how much my weight affected my day to day life...I was running late for work so I had to run into the office, put my headset on, and immediately start taking customer calls. The run took my breath away, and when I sat down that feeling of having to catch my breath would not go away. I sat there for nearly an hour gasping for breath. Co-workers asked me if I was OK and I tried to play it down and blame it on allergies. I had a few moments that I worried I may pass out. That's when I started to worry "What if they call am ambulance? How will they get me out?" It was a sobering moment. You shouldn't feel bad over your experience though. Let it propel you forward!!!
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:08 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4

For me, one of those moments was taking CPR classes. Between having to be on my knees for 10 minutes and doing chest compressions, I thought I'd need an ambulance by the end of it. And I had serious doubts about my ability to get back up.

On the plus side, I have no doubt this will not be the case by the time I have to renew my certification.
Streudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:15 PM   #8  
mam1958

Thanks everyone.

Vealcalf it is my wake up call. All I have to do is remember my niece (Marley's) face when she came over to me to help. Such a sweet little girl. 8 yrs old and oh so wise. I too get out of breath easily. I too have blamed it on my sinuses. So glad your experience helped you now mine is helping me. I like that my "aha moment".

LuLu I too have gotten down and wondered how I was gonna get up but have always been alone and had to drag myself to something to help me up. I had no one to be embarrassed for. I once fell at work in the middle of a bathroom was stunned from the fall then had to figure out how to get up. I laughed about it with others but it is no laughing matter.

buddabelly I fell for you.

Wannabeskinny thanks for the post I enjoyed it. I have saved it to look at when I need it. My husband also weighs much less than I.

Today I exercised to aerobics and will lift weight in my pool. ( I have bought some to use in the pool). They're great.

I am thinking of exercise as medicine instead of drudgery. This helps. If I forget then all I have to do is remember Marley's sweet innocent words "Auntie Mary I will help you Up". Oh that sweet little girl has stolen my heart..

I am also thinking of the right foods as fuel to keep my engine running. Not to medicate my emotions.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:50 PM   #9  

Height: 5'8

You got this! There will be hurdles but remember: The greater the obstacle, the greater the joy in overcoming it.

I struggled with weight in 7th and 8th grade. I've worked hard ever since and its been worth it. Everyone's journey starts at different times and in different places.

We are all in this together. I'll be excited to see how great you do.
KK4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:03 PM   #10  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

I read your post and smiled. Not because I thought what happened to you was amusing, but because I was reading your turning point. I really think you can use this experience as fuel for your journey to healthydom. We've all had the "I've had enough!" moment and this sounds like yours!
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:40 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 300/145/160

Height: 5'10

I know how you feel. I was 300 lbs in myrtle beach and those waves can be brutal. Just know there are tons of people out there who feel the same. The beach is where my weight loss journey began due to similar reasons. I went from 300 to 189. It has taken almost a year. The sooner you start the sooner you will feel great and look foxy the following year in those waves!
Calicofox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:47 AM   #12  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

First - I want to say YAY for you for being out there and playing with her! I spent too many years just sitting in the chair with my cover up on. Your niece will remember that you were there and played with her, not the rest of it.

FWIW - The waves knock me over now, too - and Atlantic coast waves are no joke. Even on the gulf coast waves, I have trouble getting up and look ridiculous, get flipped over in my inner tube and lose my suit. Maybe I'm just a klutz (I am) but I think sometimes that we assume every negative thing that happens to us is because of our weight. I don't mean to discount what you are saying - definitely use it to motivate you. I had more than my share of "excuses" for things until I realized that it was really just weight. ("asthma", fatigue, joint pain, etc.) Mostly, I'm just saying not to be so hard on yourself. Like wannabe said - look at yourself lovingly. Focus on the stuff that you did that was good.
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:44 PM   #13  
mam1958

Thanks everyone. It is my " aha moment". I won't stop. I will be thinner next summer for sure.

Food is now my fuel not my crutch.

Exercise is my medicine.