Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-07-2014, 09:53 AM   #1  

Default Increase of 2.5 lbs in a day :( Cannot figure out why :?:

I will try and be short here...

I had a social gathering on Wednesday and had to have dinner outside.. I did manage to make sensible choices and was jus over my calorie goal by a 100 calories.. (I had Thai food just in case it helps) The next day I had gained 1 lb... Thursday was a normal day... I stayed within my calorie goal... But today I am 2.5 lbs up.. I just had my TOM a week back (quite regukar and once a month)

The other change that happened over the last 2 days is I have started doing some basic arm exercises and leg exercises.. I use a 5lb dumbell for the arm work out and it is jus body weight for the legs... Water intake as been usual...

Now I am kind of breaking my head to find out why I am 2.5lbs up and it is my weigh in day today
nlauah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:59 AM   #2  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Yup it's the new workout. We retain water in our muscles to repair after working out. After a while it will stabilize. Hang in there, it will go away. Water will help you but don't go too crazy though, you don't wanna get water intoxication. Good luck!
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:17 AM   #3  

Thanks amandie... I know this is going to sound stupid... But do we generally know how long this water retention stays for.. I feel bloated.. I am sure I have not gone bad on sodium as well... Is it normal to have such an increase?? (increase of 2.5lbs )
Old 03-07-2014, 10:26 AM   #4  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Not stupid at all. I'd say it varies, sometimes up to a week or two depending on the intensity of the workouts. Yes, 2.5lbs is normal just like TOM. I can go up to 5lbs in water then finally a whoosh sometime later. Water will help with your bloatedness.

That's part of why I dislike starting out on a new regiment because I know there will be a temporary gain. Funny, I know the cause and etc. yet I still get upset if I see a "gain" on the scale. I'm ridiculous sometimes, haha.

It should not last long but as long as you know you're doing everything right, it will be all good. 100 calories extra is not going to make you gain, usually an excess of 3500 calories (give or take, depending on one's metabolism) will make you gain. Don't stress!!!
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:37 AM   #5  

Amandie... I am glad someone understands... I will try for now to put this behind me and continue to do what I do.. I guess I have to just wait and see when I lose it back and stabilize...
Old 03-07-2014, 11:53 AM   #6  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

I've had water weight go in 24 hours...and I've had it set up shop for more than a week. Hopefully it will be the former for you!
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:15 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I usually get the water weight retention from a more intense exercise program for about 6-8 weeks.

I know you said you didn't overdo it on the sodium, but many of the condiments used in Thai cooking are high in salt (fish sauce, soy sauce, curry paste, cucumber sauce, peanut sauce, etc). That could cause a small 1-2 day water weight gain.

Just keep at it - it will all work out in the end!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:28 PM   #8  

Thanks Mauikai and Munchy for your inputs.. Keeping fingers crossed but gonna keep doing the best I can to stay in line
Old 03-07-2014, 04:43 PM   #9  
On my way to -70

S/C/G: 202/192/132lbs

Height: 5'4''

That is what happens when we work out; we gain muscle weight, which is heavier than fat. Also weighing yourself daily and freaking out about it is nonsense. Seriously, our weight fluctuates too much from one day to another to even consider those changes; instead, weight yourself in weekly at least.

Good luck!

Last edited by Paulitens; 03-07-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Paulitens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:46 AM   #10  

Hi Paulitens.. thanks for your response.. Yeah I am also trying to be there were I feel comfortable just weighing myself once a week
Old 03-08-2014, 10:48 AM   #11  

I also want to add another question here.. I havent been doing any cardio but started the arm and leg exercises mostly as part of strength training.. Does it have an implication on the water weight... Do we retain as much water as we start cardio as well...