Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #1  
Fall 7 times, stand up 8

S/C/G: 248/tracker/158

Height: 5'7"

Default Freaking out about holidays!

Am I the only one that is terrified of holiday weight gain? Do you know ANYONE or have You personally lost or at least maintained weight from Thanksgiving until New Years? I'm feeling panicky thinking about it!

Someone please tell me it's possible to get through the holidays without gaining weight, because I don't think I EVER have!
cincorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:21 AM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

Why do you think most diets start after New Years?
Inkrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:27 AM   #3  
Fall 7 times, stand up 8

S/C/G: 248/tracker/158

Height: 5'7"

I'd be happy to just maintain. I think I am going to start Weight Watchers today for extra support to get through the holidays.
cincorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #4  
motivational guru wannabe

S/C/G: 205/205/185 by spring

Height: 5'4"

Cincorn - I know how you are feeling. I don't know if it's possible not to gain ANY weight...but I do think maybe we can minimize the amount we gain. I had some success a couple of weekends ago. We did family Thanksgiving with the cousins early, so the families could spend the actual day with their in-law side. I went to the dinner table with the mentality that some foods are just the same old-same old. For example...corn...it's the same old stuff, so I didn't put it on my plate. I left out the items that aren't particularly special and only ate the few things that I can't get any other time. So I had a big slice of turkey and ham, bacon wrapped green beans (no one ever takes the time to make them look so nice), and a slice of pecan pie. Before the meal, I chose to snack on the veggie tray instead of the cheese and cracker platter. Pick those things that are truly special and leave out some. I love stuffing, but there wasn't any, so I was safe. I had a couple of light beers. Overall I gained one pound over that weekend, but it came off easily. I plan to do the same thing over the holidays...trying to pick only those items that really make the holiday meal special...and in moderation. I know there are lots of strategies out there. I think it's all in gearing your mind up before heading to the festivities.
Good luck to you and Happy Holidays!!!

Last edited by boatingmommy; 11-20-2013 at 08:39 AM.
boatingmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #5  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

cincorn, I am with you! My concern is not so much holiday gain, but losing control. I can't tell you how many times I have been derailed by holiday eating and then did not get back in control.

There was one year that I stayed in control though so I am taking the same approach that I did that year. My approach is to:

For celebrations at work, church, and friend's homes, I am taking on-plan food and sticking to my plan. Then on Thanksgiving day and Christmas day, I am allowing myself 1 roll, 1 serving of mashed potatoes, and 1 serving of desert in addition to my on-plan food. There will be plenty of on-plan food.

If we plan and are determined I think that we can get through it.
        time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
        Old 11-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 256/251/145

Height: 5'6"

I am very nervous about the holidays. I was hoping to be to onderland by New Years but I am doubtful that will happen. We have had 2 thanksgiving meals already. The first one I just had turkey and salad. The one last night I had small portions. I think I will be ok. I am usually happy with a bite of a favorite dish but I am still very nervous.

Last edited by scarletmeshell; 11-20-2013 at 10:47 AM.
        scarletmeshell is offline   Reply With Quote
        Old 11-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #7  
        Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I'm maintaining and I let myself gain a couple pounds during the holidays (they come off on their own) if it happens. I'm pretty active at the gym so I treat it like I'm bulking and use the extra calories to do stuff like run for time and see if I can lift heavier weights.
        krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
        Old 11-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #8  

Quote:
        Originally Posted by time2lose View Post
        cincorn, I am with you! My concern is not so much holiday gain, but losing control. I can't tell you how many times I have been derailed by holiday eating and then did not get back in control.

There was one year that I stayed in control though so I am taking the same approach that I did that year. My approach is to:

For celebrations at work, church, and friend's homes, I am taking on-plan food and sticking to my plan. Then on Thanksgiving day and Christmas day, I am allowing myself 1 roll, 1 serving of mashed potatoes, and 1 serving of desert in addition to my on-plan food. There will be plenty of on-plan food.

If we plan and are determined I think that we can get through it.
              Love this post, thank you!
              elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
              Old 11-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 138/127/120

Height: 5'4

I plan to gorge myself on Thanksgiving, and then eat whatever I want the entire weekend. To me, it's not even worth it to deny myself the pleasure of the food during the holidays. What I DO plan to do though, is continue to work out every day, and go right back on plan come the Monday after Thanksgiving, and carry through to Christmas Eve. Good Luck!
              Zima is offline   Reply With Quote
              Old 11-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 270/270/160

Height: 5'5

I have lost almost 65 lbs to me no food is worth the weight gain. Realize when you gorge or binge you are taking a step back and sometimes a very hard return. My plan is this. I am planning my meals and plan to have what I want in moderation. It is a give and take. I can have a slice of my mom's praline cheesecake if I nix the fatty gravy, green bean casserole and potatoes. I am hosting thanksgiving and Christmas eve which puts me in the drivers seat. My two daughters are helping me cook the meals. Remember you are in control. You can have a cheat day but like some one said not a cheat weeks. Some people feast from thanksgiving to new years and that is why most people gain 15 lbs or more. Make sure you get a good work out in too to off set some of the calories.
              cleancowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
              Old 11-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 265/180/145

Height: 5'6"

I'm not terrified this year. I started again in October fully aware that the holidays were right around the corner. At this point, if I can sit at my desk and ignore three birthday cakes, a taco dinner, and an impromptu boss's appreciation breakfast, Thanksgiving up here tomorrow will be cake LOL.

I plan on indulging Thanksgiving Day and maybe Black Friday, but I want to be close to goal by June and that doesn't give much room to play around with. Every other year however..... I'd put on most of my weight around this time because I love to bake and would spend from Thanksgiving week to New Years baking about every day. To the detriment of my co-workers and family, not going to happen this year. I just can't afford to waste the time and you know, Lord willing, I'll be around next year to make up for lost sweets, within in reason of course.
              FickleHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
              Old 11-20-2013, 11:32 PM   #12  
              Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

The holidays, *deep sigh*

That said, it really is up to us to make choices.

Thankfully, I am not in a spot where I have to attend umpteen social holiday events.

That said, I choose to pick and choose.

I skip the roll, I can eat bread anytime. Green bean casserole, make it healthier or skip it.

I will NOT skip the homemade peanut butter pie. However, this is a ONE time a year food.

It's all about choices, choose this over that.

I look at it this way, there are a few foods, that only show up at Thanksgiving or Christmas in my world, so I compromise with other food and exercise choices, to enjoy a "small" portion of holiday cheer.

No food should be off limits, we just need to remember, portion control, and when the holiday is over, it's over.
              shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
              Old 11-20-2013, 11:35 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 185/163/130

Height: 5'6

I am also a bit nervous to say the least, but I think for me the one thing that gets me through is walking. If i walk after every meal, not only does it help digestion along, but it persuades me not to stuff myself since I know how unpleasant the walk will be if I do!
              love4allsizes is offline   Reply With Quote
              Old 11-20-2013, 11:54 PM   #14  
              Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Quote:
              Originally Posted by cincorn View Post
              Am I the only one that is terrified of holiday weight gain? Do you know ANYONE or have You personally lost or at least maintained weight from Thanksgiving until New Years? I'm feeling panicky thinking about it!

Someone please tell me it's possible to get through the holidays without gaining weight, because I don't think I EVER have!
              Almost all the years I've been working at my weight (five, now,) I have lost or maintained from October to January. The year I did not (this last one) I was pregnant. It's not only possible, it isn't even that hard. Accountability and a game plan for achieving what end you desire - that's really all there is to it.

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 11-20-2013 at 11:56 PM.
              Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
              Old 11-21-2013, 12:45 AM   #15  
              Badass Brokeleg Bunny

S/C/G: 239.2/199.8/170

There have been a lot of great suggestions here, and if someone follows them, I would think the holidays would go well. The important thing is to have a plan and stick to it. There's not much damage you can do if you only indulge on Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Personally, I plan to stay on my diet over the holidays. It's more difficult (for me) to go off and then try to get back on. But I will want a taste of some holiday foods ... so I'm making room for them very carefully. I know that I am risking my cravings acting up, but darn it, I have to learn to beat them sooner or later.
              tefrey is offline   Reply With Quote