Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 267.8/252.2/160

Height: 5'10"

Default Any tips on dealing with the 1st week's hunger?

My first day went well and didn't feel hungry. The past 2 days however have been difficult. I know the hunger will subside in a few days, but meanwhile, do you have tips or tricks you used that helped curb the hunger?

I try to keep myself busy during the day, which is easy these days with midterms and papers due. I do a lot of my work outside of the house, so I don't have access to food. I keep a lot of my calories for dinner and a snack since that's when I'm most at home. I still struggle.

Hope to hear some good suggestions
dolphin9006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

It will pass. Until it does, drinking tea helps me. As does going to bed early (I prefer sleeping to eating).

I also drink beer which does wonders. But most people don't do that here...

Hunger can be a really useful tool to try healthy foods you thought you never liked. Things start to taste nicer with a little hunger.

That's one reason I now like salads so much, whereas before I never used to eat them.

Last edited by IanG; 10-19-2013 at 01:40 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Hunger is one of those things you just have to live with. I got tired of trying to "deal with hunger." Just let it be. When I started paying attention to hunger it started to lose its control over me. Most diets will have strategies in how to deal with hunger. Strategies such as 'keep healthy snacks around' or 'eat 7 almonds' or 'go for a walk' or 'drink a big glass of water etc. But what happens when you sit, and feel the hunger? And let it wash over you and take over? Well I can answer for me only.... I get angry. Very angry. Crazy and angry. I never thought of myself as an angry person, I don't have a temper, I don't think I need anger management. But somehow I have anger inside of me that only gets expressed when I'm hungry. I start to see everyone around me as an obstacle to food, and I get angry at them for it. As I'm allowing this to come out the anger lessens and becomes more manageable.... and so does the hunger.

I know that's probably not what you wanted to hear, and I'm not saying everyone reacts to hunger like that but they might, or they might react differently. The point is to learn to be ok with your response to hunger. Accept it and know that it cannot hurt you.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #4  

Thank you for all your comments.

IanG-beer usually makes me ravenous so I'll stay away from it. I saw on other posts that you were having beer for dinner a few times. I thought it was more a party then diet thing. Awesome that you found something that works for you

Wannabeskinny-I don't get angry (unless the sugar drops way too low), I just want to make sure the temporary un-comfortableness doesn't lead to me overeating.

I picked up some gum at the store, hoping it helps.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #5  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I drink beer most days for dinner. I find it fills me up, tastes nice, helps me relax and lose water weight. Srangely, its calories do not make me gain weight.

Last edited by IanG; 10-19-2013 at 03:49 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #6  

IanG- I just realized that my comment may have sound like criticism. It wasn't, just want to clarify that
Old 10-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #7  

Height: 5'9"

I often stagger my eating, so there's not this long gap of time between meals/snacks. So lunch could be half a sandwich at 12, a glass of milk at 1, and the second half at 2. Then, I can say, truthfully, "OK, it's only ___ hrs. until you eat again, anyone can survive not eating for ___ hrs.!"

Or I save the most food for the day for when I'll be the hungriest! PM for me!
Inkrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
I drink beer most days for dinner. I find it fills me up, tastes nice, helps me relax and lose water weight. Srangely, its calories do not make me gain weight.
I'm all for doing what works for you, but tooting beer as a diet aid is going too far. It might "work" but at what cost? Everything in moderation is fine, I've never heard of anything like that about beer, and it's generally not thought of as a health drink. I've heard that a moderate glass of wine or two provides some benefits but there is a limit. Alcohol is loaded with calories, beer is made from wheat and there are plenty of beer bellies to prove that it ain't no diet drug. Perhaps your diet and exercise provide you with enough of a calorie deficit to drink beer without it bulking you up but you can't convince me that it's a healthy beverage any more than you can convince me that cigarettes are a good way to suppress your appetite.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
I saw on FoxNews or CNN or something that a guy went on a sausage and beer diet and lost a ton of weight. :-)
nextphase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:39 PM   #10  

A nutrition professor experimented with a diet of twinkies, to show that the only calories in and calories out is all that counts in losing weight. He lost 27 pounds in 10 weeks, thus proving that you can be skinny and unhealthy. I would post the link but I can't until I have 25 posts.

Last edited by dolphin9006; 10-19-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #11  

Height: 5'9"

The Beer and Cig Diet!! Or the Gin and Tonic and Cig Diet ~ mastered by my Grandmummy in 1979! She was all of ninety pounds dripping wet!
Inkrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #12  

Good idea Inkrid-Thank you!....I mean the eating often, not the Gin and cig diet! lol

Last edited by dolphin9006; 10-19-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 69kg/65/60

Height: 5ft

Re curbing hunger first week; I found I had to change or avoid some of the situations I'd normally be in, eg where I usually snacked uncontrollably in front of the tv I'd do something to keep occupied, like pull out the laptop and surf the net so that my mind was on that and not on how hungry I thought I was. Also, diet drinks or hot drinks like tea, seemed to curb my hunger a bit. Plus I got into the mindset of deadening my hunger, by refusing to let my mind go in that direction (hard I know). Salted popcorn with no butter was another good hunger filler and as a last resort, exercise. That really turned off my hunger.
happybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #14  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin9006 View Post
A nutrition professor experimented with a diet of twinkies, to show that the only calories in and calories out is all that counts in losing weight. He lost 27 pounds in 10 weeks, thus proving that you can be skinny and unhealthy. I would post the link but I can't until I have 25 posts.
And I'm starting to realize that the opposite is true, as well.....you can be "overweight" but healthy and fit. It's a bit of an "a-ha!" moment for me.
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #15  

You're right, Snoofie! Glad you had that moment