Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-18-2013, 04:51 AM   #1  

Default My secret + People's comments

I've already told you my secret - skip breakfast - I know it's the not most sensible thing to do but it works and I'm used to it by now.

I tried everything before (exercise, no food after 8 pm) and nothing really worked for me, results were mediocre at best.

I'm 1,74m and I currently weigh 71 kgs (I started this odissey at 82 kgs!), only 2 kgs from my main goal.

The best thing about weight loss is hearing people's comments. My students, those little devils, were the first to notice.

I don't want to seem shallow but this does wonders for my ego.
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:08 AM   #2  

You should be proud of yourself for getting so close to your goal. I guess what works for one person may not always work for another - for instance I never used to eat breakfast but not that I am trying to lose weight I have started eating it; and for me that is working.

I noticed that you made the exact same post on the 26th September - see below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio View Post
I'm 1,74 m tall and I'm only 2 kgs away from my final goal (69 kgs)

I started this journey at 82 kgs and now I weigh 71 kgs! Unbelievable!

I've already told you my secret: simply skip breakfast. It's probably not the healthiest thing to do but it sure worked for me. It's amazing the amount of weight I lost in the past few days.
I am just wondering if the not eating breakfast thing is starting to stagnate for you as it appears that you have stabilised at 71 kgs for the last 2 months?

And I agree you should get a little ego boost when the kids notice your weight loss - I think that adults must notice also but they are not always as quick to say anything about it! Well done!
Bindii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

It seems that all the focus on breakfast may just be hype:

NY Times article on breakfast and weight loss

And another similar article here.

Personally, I'm almost always hungry in the morning so I like to eat breakfast. But for those who aren't hungry in the morning, why force yourself? On the days I do skip breakfast for one reason or another, I'm always happy to have those calories at my disposal later in the day.

Congrats on your success!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #4  
diamondgeog

Thank you for the NY times article. I think this thread is important for pointing out what works for you is important. I would guess people who do well on skipping breakfast have some physiology and metabolism even maybe personality that makes that just fine. And others don't. Maybe some would routinely eat more calories if they regularly skipped breakfast.

I don't eat a big breakfast but I do need something for mind/body in the morning. I have found lowering carbs works well for me. But really I suppose I am on the 'generic' eat veggies and fruits. lean meats, eliminate fast food try to eliminate process food plan.

For me I have just customized it with also trying to limit grains even whole grains more than most standard plans. Haven't bought bread in 6 months or pasta for instance. But have had a few sandwichs here and there.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #5  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

There is no question that skipping breakfast isn't for everyone but for me personally it has been life changing.

I used to be ready to knaw my arm off it I hadn't eaten by 9:00 AM but over time I trained myself and now I am rarely hungry before noon.

If someone is interested in reading a good article about the myths surounding breakfast, here is a good article.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #6  
Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 295/sig/175

Height: 5'9

If I wake up hungry I eat breakfast.

If I do not wake up hungry I do not eat breakfast.

My metabolism has not ground to a screeching halt, I don't faint by noon and I am not eating my own arm at dinnertime.

When I do eat breakfast I'm not magically full all day. I don't start dropping pounds like hot potatoes. I don't find stupendous energy that was never there before.

I think some people will prefer breakfast, others won't. Some find it a necessity, others don't.

What you should worry about is whether or not it works for you.
thewalrus0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio View Post
I've already told you my secret - skip breakfast - I know it's the not most sensible thing to do but it works and I'm used to it by now.
If it works for you, it's sensible, as far as I'm concerned. I do a lot of things that don't follow the Rules, but if they work for me I try to silence the internal voices that berate me for doing it the "wrong" way. I'm one month shy of the 2-year maintenance mark, so I figure I must be doing something right.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote