Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #1  
Princess Nothing

S/C/G: 315/245/180

Height: 5' 6"

Default Overnight shift HELP PLEASE

I work overnights 10pm to 8am. Usually not a problem, however, my last day of work for the week, I stay awake til around 10pm, after my four kids go to bed. I don't want to waste any of my time off on the weekend, because I don't hardly see them during the week because of my schedule.

The problem is, that means that I am awake 24+ hours straight that day. How do I handle this calorie wise? I feel like Ive totally blown it today, because I kept eating, but Im eating at "normal" day hours. Like this:

9pm Breakfast
12am Snack
3am Lunch
6am snack
9am Dinner
1pm Lunch
6pm Dinner
9pm snack

Did I screw up? How do I handle this while I am dieting? I had about 1800 calories between my 9pm breakfast and my 1pm lunch. but I am up for at least 9 more hours. Grrrr.
anaethema_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #2  

Maybe instead of staying up all day until 10pm, you should try to sleep for a few hours, maybe while you're kids are at school. Even 4 hours would be something - I think the sleep you're not getting is way more important than the calories/meals you are getting! If you sleep for at least 4 hours, then you won't be having any meals for a while - you could give up the 9am dinner that day because you'll be sleeping, then you can have a little breakfast around noon or 1pm, dinner with the family at 6, maybe have a snack at 9 if you're hungry, then go to bed again and try to sleep all night long.

I work shift work (days/afternoons/nights) on a rotating 5 week schedule and after I've worked for 7 nights in a row (and sleeping all day nights 1 thru 6), I have got to go to bed for at least 4 hours when I get home in the morning after my last night shift. I don't feel safe driving if I haven't had any sleep at all - being up 24hrs is very dangerous and it's REALLY bad for your body, particularly if you do it on a regular basis.

Last edited by 2annabelle; 10-05-2013 at 08:13 PM.
2annabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:02 AM   #3  
Princess Nothing

I know I should try....but saturday is our "go" day, the only day that all 6 of us are actually together. Sunday everyone is doing other stuff or chores, and the rest of the week i work and they have school, ballet, knowledge bowl, volleyball, etc.

Im probably making it more complicated than it is. Thank you for the advice!
Old 10-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/ticker/135

Height: 5' 5.5

So maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but it should probably be more like two days of calories. I completely understand the family thing, but maybe try to get a couple hours of a nap after breakfast. You are important too

Day 1 - Noon to Noon
Sleep Noon - 8 PM
9pm Breakfast
12am Snack
3am Lunch
6am snack
9am Dinner

Day 2 Noon to Noon
1pm Lunch
6pm Dinner
9pm snack
Sleep 11 PM - 7 AM
9 AM - Breakfast
Turtle11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #5  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Could you try having a calorie goal for the week, and instead of dividing it by 7 equal days, portion out more calories for your crazy-long day?
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #6  

Height: 5'9"

How about staying as close to regular meal times as possible when you wake up? i.e. don't eat during your shifts, but have a breakfast on your way home, sleep, wake up, and have a big dinner in lieu of lunch. Intermittent fasting is a good way to lose weight. Also, give sleep a priority, then your kids' schedule on weekends, then food. Disregard if it won't work for you, just a thought!
Inkrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #7  
Princess Nothing

Awesome suggestions you guys!