Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 228/222/160

Height: 5'7"

Default So, I started working at a candy shop...

I'm surrounded by candy every day! At first my resolve to not eat any candy was pretty strong, but as a few weeks went by I started to slip a bit.

On a busy weekend hundreds maybe thousands of people come through (because we are a bit of a tourist trap), and at the end of the day I'm tired, its like 8 o'clock and I haven't eaten dinner, a few pieces here and there won't kill me right?

Well, my scale says otherwise...

I've been fluctuating wildly between 216 and 207 for a few weeks and I'm sure its the candy that's affecting me. I know the easy answer is to just bring a granola bar or something with me to eat when I get desperate instead of a piece of candy, but even on weekdays I'm often so busy that I can't take 30 seconds to drink from my water bottle. And I only get one lunch break... I'm not sure how to control myself!

This is the store's busy season so it will really only stay SUPER BUSY for another month or so and I'll probably be fine once it slows down, but I don't want another month of this darn fluctuation. How can I convince my self to stay strong even in the face of virtually unlimited candy?
Suzll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzll View Post
How can I convince my self to stay strong even in the face of virtually unlimited candy?
Oy, that's a tough one. In general I aim for moderation, but in this situation I don't think I could control myself except through total abstinence. Might it be the best course of action for you as well?

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

It might help to think of the candy as "not yours."

It's not the same situation, but my hubby and I eat very differently. We (meaning I) even set the pantry up into three sections: my food, his food, our food.

I had to stop telling myself that he wouldn't mind if I dipped into his food. He didn't/doesn't/wouldn't mind, but that's not really the point. I now tell myself that those foods aren't mine to take. I gave myself only two options either ask permission (every time) or leave it alone (or it would be like stealing).
E
Hubby and I both agreed to this, so he's been on board with it. He likewise asks my permission before dipping into one of "my" bins in the pantry. Which has been more helpful than I would have imagined (no more resentment over him eating my last protein bar and leaving his candy and chip stash).

This works fairly well for me, except during pms when I am desperate enough to ask (and hubby is least likely to ask "are you sure?) Normally though the thought of asking is enough of an inconvenience (and slightly embarrassing to boot) to make me reconsider.

Unfortunately, during pms I have absolutely no self-control, shame or self-respect.

Something like that might work for you. Even just weighing, calculating, and writing down the calorie count of each piece might be helpful (fat free candies usually have about 100 calories, toffees, fudges and chocolates usually have about 150).

To test for fat, place the candy on a napkin. If it leaves a translucent stain, it contains fat.

Personally, for me, I'm not sure any precautions would be entirely successful. Working with high glycemic carbs wouldn't work well for me. My carbs of choice are savory carbs, not candy, but I would still be at risk of abusing the carbs in the candy. It would be like trying to be a recovering alcoholic bartender or a recovering addict pharmacist. While it may be possible, it would require superhuman willpower to resist.

Last edited by kaplods; 10-21-2013 at 10:59 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:28 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 69kg/65/60

Height: 5ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
Oy, that's a tough one. In general I aim for moderation, but in this situation I don't think I could control myself except through total abstinence. Might it be the best course of action for you as well?

F.
I was thinking moderation too. I used to have a job packing lollies (candy) and in all honesty, I was thinner then than now, even after continually sampling the lollies. After a while you might also find that the smell is not so appealing, but rather sickening. You'll still have your temptation days where you can't say no and maybe you shouldn't, just choose the best of the least, LOL. It's all a novelty for you now, like the old saying 'kid in a candy shop', there are too many new delights and you just want to sample each one and I'd probably be doing just that, LOL. Good luck!!
happybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:37 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 203.6 / 200.8 / 115

Height: 5'2"

Personally, I couldn't do it. I have a huge sweet tooth, and I would devour the candy. We often have free candy, cake, or doughnuts at work, and I have a hard time resisting.

Out of curiosity, are you allowed to eat the candy while you are working? Maybe if you made yourself pay for it, you'd be less likely to eat it because you'd lose money. That would deter me. Does the store sell sugar-free candy? Maybe you could limit yourself to sugar-free candy or slightly healthier options.

Last edited by Sasha29; 10-22-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Sasha29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:51 AM   #6  

Thanks everybody for your input!

I've been eating it in moderation, but when I work 5 days a week even a handful a day adds up enough to make a difference. So I'm thinking that not eating any at all is the key, like some of you suggested; its just such a huge temptation.

I also like the idea of 'not mine', that eating the candy looses the store money, but all the employees eat the candy, even the owners so it doesn't feel like stealing when it's the accepted thing. (Although I could tell myself that it applies to me anyway and see if it helps)

We do have sugar free candy but honestly I haven't even eaten a piece of it, lol, only sugar candy for me! I haven't gotten sick of it yet, but I am desensitized to the smell, I can't smell chocolate right now.

I just need to not eat it. Don't eat it Don't eat it Don't eat it!!! Like a mantra or something...
Old 10-22-2013, 02:33 AM   #7  

Quote:
Thanks everybody for your input!

I also like the idea of 'not mine', that eating the candy looses the store money, but all the employees eat the candy, even the owners so it doesn't feel like stealing when it's the accepted thing. (Although I could tell myself that it applies to me anyway and see if it helps)
I found (and still sometimes find) it hard to think of hubby's food as "not mine," especially because I know he doesn't care if I eat any of it. He even resisted the idea of either of us asking the other for "permission" to eat any of the food in the house. He often would say "it's not like we can't run out and buy more, at any time of day."

I had to convince him that it would help me (and the sweetie is willing to do just about anything for me).

Moderation is a tricky thing, because what feels like moderation in the moment isn't alwaus moderation in the bigger pictire (Hey, I wanted to eat more than I did, isn't that moderation?)

Even a handful of candy every day could be feasible moderation, if you budget for that handful and watch your calorie and carb intake for absolutely every other bite you take.

When I was younger I had much more success with this kind of budgeting. I could (if it weren't pms week) stick to a calorie budget and lose weight no matter what I ate. I lost about as well on 1200 calories of junk as on 1200 calories of freggies. I was HUNGRIER on the junk food, but I could (for a while at least) white knuckle it.

As I've gotten older, it has become harder and harder to access and sustain white knuckle willpower. I'm not sure exactly why.

Trial and error really is the only option, and sadly what worked last year, or even last week might not work today. I do think it's important to remember that unexpected results (even gains) aren't failure. They're succeeding at determining what doesn't work. And as you eliminate the options that don't work, you can't help but eventually stumble upon what does.

At least that's my theory, which helped me get and stay this far. I'm at the point though where I have to start trying NEW options, because what helped me lose the first 100 lbs, hasn't been enough to help me get much further. Time to be a bit bolder in my experiments, I guess.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:43 AM   #8  

Height: 5'1

I definitely feel for you on this. I work in a fast food restaurant. When I'm bored, I'll grab a small bag and put a couple of chips to munch on. On my breaks, I struggle to stay away from the food cooked there and eat the snacks (usually fruit) I have with me. I'm still learning but I struggle from time to time with it. Some days are better than others naturally.

What I'm trying to do is eat before I go into work - as in a dinner so I won't have something so heavy on my break and I will just be hungry enough to have my fruit. I try tell myself that (because I would go to the gym in the mornings), all the hard work I did before work in the gym will be lost and most importantly, I ask myself - do I want to see a gain this week?! These work most of the time but not all the time. Like I said, I'm still learning. I would try something similar, tell yourself a few home truths. It might help you out! Good luck!
Dreamer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:22 AM   #9  

Kaplods, I don't calorie count and I think thats my main problem with moderation, my moderation might not be real moderation in the terms of my total energy input. I've tried calorie counting a few times in the past and I just find it so time consuming and I end up obsessing over it or forgetting to enter everything because it takes so much work. But before the candy shop, I was able to just make healthy choices and not over eat and it was working... the candy apparently tips the scales (literally).

I'm sure it will work out in the long run, like you said, trial and error!

Dreamer: I need to tell myself that I don't want to lose all of my progress, but it dosnt work too well for me, lol. When I'm hungry its almost all I can think about!
Old 10-22-2013, 06:00 AM   #10  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

Telling myself it's not mine or it's not for me works usually. Also telling myself I can have that tomorrow or on the weekend can get me through a craving.

Setting an actual limit, like no more than 4 per shift may help, even if you're not calorie counting, putting a limit allows you to have some but not all. Like Kaplods said experiment, you know "a handful" may be causing you to go up but 3 or 2 might not.

I worked in a candy shop years ago one of the great ones See's, after awhile it lost it's power because it becomes just the widgets that you work with. It takes awhile though. I also worked in an ice cream shop one summer, also a big challenge, you could eat your mistakes, but it was also so busy that you really didn't have the opportunity.

Not sure what kind of candy you're dealing with but maybe taking a piece and putting in your pocket for later? Sometimes I do that at work if there's snacks and I feel like I'm deprived by not getting some I'll take a piece to eat later and usually won't eat it, and if I do at least I've thought about it.

Kaplods-I quoted you in my sig, hope you don't mind!

kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:32 AM   #11  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
When I'm hungry its almost all I can think about!
I hear you on that! My winter job is in a deli/bakery, and even if I don't feel hungry beforehand, as soon as I walk in the building, the deli aromas absolutely start to stimulate my appetite, and that is killer for any good intentions.

Last year I tried a new approach, I would leave earlier for work, park a street down, and eat my packed meal in my car, which I do not like to do (cars are for driving not eating ) but it was my only solution.

I agree with others with trying 'it's not yours to eat' approach, even though you said it is OK with other employees and even management. But maybe pretend there are cameras everywhere and you are watched and charged for any nibbles.

I just have tons of sympathy for anyone in the food industry who is trying to lose and having a hard time, I have struggled with it for years myself. Best wishes and you seem to have a great attitude and I bet you will beat this
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelijpa View Post

Kaplods-I quoted you in my sig, hope you don't mind!

Not at all. Though technically I borrowed the basic concept from something Thomas Edison is reported to have said about inventing the lightbulb.

As to counting calories (or anything else), I'm a sporadic counter myself. I don't mind it so much as I get distracted and lazy. It works when I do it, even when I do it sloppily. Even when I don't count, just writing everything down somewhere helps (especially if I write it BEFORE I bite it).

I've been struggling with that especially lately. I'm feeling burnt out on counting and documenting and cooking and shopping. I'm experimenting with "The Simple Diet" because there's minimal counting (as few as 3 shakes, 2 entrees, 5 freggie servings). The downside is that it's pretty rigid and there is no room for off-plan foods.

There's always a trade off, I suppose.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 186/ticker/135

Height: 5' 5.5

I used to work in a cookie factory, and even just doing the 1 cookie after lunch started adding up. These were the high quality, large cookies, probably 300 calories each. I noticed my clothes got tighter, and I felt like I was dragging more.

I like math so I did some calculations and with 52 weeks in a year at 5 days a week, with one 300 calorie cookie a day, I would have an additional 52x5x300 = 78,000 calories a year... and for 3500 calories / lb, I would gain 22 lbs that year!!!!

So instead I would "save" my cookie for Friday. I would plan during the week which one I was going to have. And at first I really looked forward to that cookie! To counter-balance it, I also cut out any Tuesday and Friday dessert.

After a while, the Friday cookie was not as good as the build-up I had all week, and I mostly cut them out completely.

Don't gain 22 lbs this year!!! Come up with a reasonable plan, and follow it. (But don't beat yourself up too bad if it doesn't work every week)
Turtle11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #14  
diamondgeog

This has probably been mentioned. But the granola bar might have more carbs than candy. Our local building deli has nothing but bad choices. Thankfully I haven't snacked there in 6 months. I was looking at a granola bar they sell out of curiosity. It had 27 grams of carbs. The peanut butter cup candy, 2 of them, had 24 grams. So you could say the granola bar is even worse for you than candy in this case. Just something to keep in mind. I try to when choosing snacks.

Last edited by diamondgeog; 10-22-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

My suggestions are to make sure you eat before you head to work. Try to take your lunch break, even on busy days, to avoid getting too hungry, and - the best one for me - chew gum during your shifts. You can't munch on candy/food when you have gum in your mouth. It helps me tremendously when I'm tempted by something that I may have to handle.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote