Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 154/147/128

Height: 5'3.5"

Default Lightheadedness

Hello all,

I do not think this problem is serious enough to put it in the "dieting with obstacles" thread, so here it is.

I started a diet four days ago, and since I wanted quick results at the beginning, it is a calorie deprived diet. Last night, I felt dizzy for a moment.

This morning I did thirty minutes of a spinning class, which made me push harder than I have in a long time, and since then I have been feeling dizzy.

I have a history of anemia, a problem that may have been aggravated by poor food choices in the last month. It's also my TOM which does not help.

I will up my calorie intake to 1 200 cal because the trade-off of going lower is not worth it, and it seems that I should discuss those issues with a doctor, but in the meantime, I wonder if many dieters go through these symptoms. Is it a necessary discomfort or are there ways to avoid it?

Furthermore, can we differentiate between these problems?

- Low blood sugar
- Not enough calories
- Iron deficiency

Thank you.

Last edited by Matisse; 07-24-2013 at 01:26 AM.
Matisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #2  
Slender Nerdess Inside...

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/140

Height: 5'0"

I would highly recommend talking with your doctor as this could be many different issues.

That being said, I have had this happen to me a few times and its usually because I haven't eaten enough. I found that breaking my meals into 4-5 small meals made the world of a difference. Never underestimate the power of a snack!

Last edited by tehshort1; 07-22-2013 at 06:46 PM.
tehshort1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #3  
Level 5 Vegan

S/C/G: 289/171/140

Height: 5'4"

If you were under 1200, that could be the culprit. I find that if I don't eat at least 1200-1400 (depends on level of activity) then I get dizzy myself.

But yes, you should see a doctor.
PUPMOM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

After weight loss, I get dizzy if I stand to quickly. Especially if I am working out. I make a natural gatoraid with a bit of salt, lemon, baking soda and honey that helps, I also be sure to eat a bit of protean after my workouts. My blood pressure is on the low normal side so I need to keep an eye on it.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:21 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 276/182/160

Height: 5'8

I agree with those that said see a doctor, especially if it continues. The restricted calorie plan you're on might not be enough for your activity level ( a spinning class can be pretty intense).

If you're comfortable with your calorie intake, maybe reduce your workouts to some walking and see how that goes?
StrangeJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:37 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 154/147/128

Height: 5'3.5"

Thanks for all the replies. You guys are so helpful. This is the first time I have diet buddies and it so much appreciated.

This morning, I did the same spinning class and felt lightheaded too but it did not last all day. Only a few hours.

My breakfast had no fruit and tomorrow I will add it so I can have quick energy fuel for my body. We will if this does the trick.

The more I think about it, the more I do not believe that it's a low blood pressure issue. I have never been diagnosed with that problem, thankfully. Taking iron supplements cannot do me wrong. That, I am certain.

_______

dstalksalot -

Could I have your recipe for natural gatorade, please? I had no idea baking soda was needed. Thank you.

_______

StrangeJourney -

You are right. My lightheadedness comes from the intensity of the workout. If I go at a slower and steady pace, I feel fine. I still want to push myself a little, but not too much, out of my comfort zone, though.

Last edited by Matisse; 07-24-2013 at 01:44 AM.
Matisse is offline   Reply With Quote