Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 183/166/135

Height: 5'6"

Default Low iron levels and direct correlation between weight loss/gain

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone here has noticed a direct correlation between their iron (ferritin) levels and weight loss or gain?

I am quite anemic right now and I'm wondering if that plays a part in making my weight loss slower than usual. I suspected my ferritin was low, but just got results back and it's CRAZY low, like almost nonexistant. I've had low iron for years btw so this is nothing new, just something I started thinking about.

My aunt and I have the same thing where when we start taking iron supps we gain a few pounds.

It got me thinking and I'm curious as to other people's experience with their iron levels and weight loss or gain.

Thoughts from people who have had experience with this??
BreathingSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #2  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

I don't know the answer but I'd guess that it does. Weight loss is a metabolic function and the body must be well nourished to do it well. If another part of the system is lagging, energy will go there instead of to the weight loss function.
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #3  

When something is low (such as iron), certain other nutrients and functions cannot be absorbed or perform at their best.
I'm also quite low in iron, and for a while was critically low. I took a rather full-on iron supp for a few weeks, but it made me so sick I stopped. I also noticed my weightloss stopped. I am going to take them again as of tomorrow, and see if I can handle it now I'm better (I was very unwell).

I would say yes, iron plays a HUGE part in your body, and being low (or high) will effect you.
Squishee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #4  
Dedicated Yogi

S/C/G: 269/188/160

Height: 5'8 1/2 :)

iron is huge- i am largely anemic.

it really doesn't do much for weight gain, except for when you take pills they uh, back ya up a little.

fun fact: you shouldn't be taking your iron anywhere or anytime near fibre supplements (it causes mal-absorbtion).

i am a big time meat lover, and very anemic, irony i know. but anyways, a nutritionist taught me something a while back- when you have spinach , or red meat- do NOT NOT NOT eat it near dairy, it dilutes the iron. always have it with citrus (like a lemon or orange sqeeezed over/into dressing). i am a big fan of lemon juice on asparagus, which goes well with red meat.

the citrus is good for iron nutrient absorbtion.

s.
stimkovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #5  

Vit C is a good help to iron .. awesome tip!!

Shall plan a lemony steak tomorrow hehe
Squishee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 183/166/135

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimkovs View Post

i am a big time meat lover, and very anemic, irony i know. but anyways, a nutritionist taught me something a while back- when you have spinach , or red meat- do NOT NOT NOT eat it near dairy, it dilutes the iron. always have it with citrus (like a lemon or orange sqeeezed over/into dressing). i am a big fan of lemon juice on asparagus, which goes well with red meat.
See? there you go! It's not all about eating meat! I'm so tired of people telling me the meat is the answer to my low iron.

Thanks for the advice about dairy inhibiting iron absorption. I actually don't eat dairy so it's probably okay.

Did you ever find out what was causing your low iron and how are you now?
BreathingSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 246/207/179

Height: 5' 5.5"

My iron was very low for a few years. During that time, I gained back 40 pounds that I had lost, tried to lose again, didn't get very far, gained even more, was just so terribly tired.

I had fibroid tumors removed in November 2012. My iron levels went up to normal and, in March, I felt like I had the energy to try losing again. I am doing well and I just feel normal now.

I did not do well with the iron pills - very backed up and bloated and uncomfortable, so I did not take them like I should have.

Anyway - the pills did not help, the surgery did!
sparks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #8  
Making it a lifestyle!

Height: 5'9.5"

I have no idea about how it affects weight loss, but I'm just going to throw out that I used to be anemic (not as severely as you, though) back when I ate lots of meat. Now I eat mostly vegetarian (when I do eat meat 1-3x/week, it's generally lean chicken or maybe deli turkey - only rarely red meat) and my iron has been great. Of course, a lot of other things changed too, any of which could be partially responsible. I'm not saying that eating meat was the problem, just that it wasn't the solution for me.
Chronostasis is offline   Reply With Quote