Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-15-2013, 06:52 AM   #1  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Default A new awkward with weight loss

Well, I thought I had done all the awkward moments with people noticing my weight loss but last night I had a new one!

I was at a drinks party. There was a lot of the usual with people talking about my weight loss and there was some encouragement which was great.

But I also saw a lady that I had not seen since I was at my starting weight. She is a very nice person. But she was with her husband.

So, she starts complimenting me on my weight loss and my new look etc. etc.. Really going for it. But it felt awful as a guy to be getting these sorts of compliments from her in front of her husband. It was very strange to have someone of the oppositie sex talk about my appearance with their partner hearing every word like that. I dunno. I mean, if I was with my wife, I would not talk to another woman about how different and good she looks (at least not in front of my wife!).

I was very embarrased and just had to move the conversation on as quickly as possible. Argh. Awkward.

Last edited by IanG; 06-15-2013 at 07:01 AM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/202.2/150

Height: 5'5"

Hehe I can see how that would be awkward. But honestly, I could see myself complimenting someone like that in front of my husband and him being totally okay with it. Maybe they just have a solid relationship and he knows she doesn't mean anything by it.

But way to go either way! I can't wait until I've reached a point others have noticed my loss.
shutterbugmama84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:41 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Awkward, yes. But don't feel threatened by it. It only speaks of how comfortable she and her husband are with each other. I would find it a lot more worrisome if she was complimenting you out of earshot of him. Then you'd be wondering if she was hitting on you.... mega awkward!!
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/166/145

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
Awkward, yes. But don't feel threatened by it. It only speaks of how comfortable she and her husband are with each other. I would find it a lot more worrisome if she was complimenting you out of earshot of him. Then you'd be wondering if she was hitting on you.... mega awkward!!
^^this

I have married friends and the husband has recently lost +50 lbs. I told him (in front of his wife) that he was smokin' hot! She just laughed.
Jennifer1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #5  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

Hm.... If you have known her a long time... she just was amazed and wanted to compliment you on your wonderful journey and maybe wanted to know how you did it as she (or her husband) might have wanted to lose weight? She also might just be so happy for you as she knows that you are enimating (spelling off I know) such a powerful healthy force (aura) that some people just notice and are attracted to it (not that way) as you are basically shining! She just also might be so happy as she knows that you are also happy and a healthier person and most people wish their friends a happy healthy life... Either way... She was amazed and was very interested in telling you. All good stuff I am thinking!

I have a feeling that you will get more and more of this as other people who have not seen you in awhile will do the same..... I know that compliments are hard sometimes... but they are sortof like gifts we get for the hard work we have done! and mostly well meaning!!!
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:27 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

Oh Ian. It's obvious from your posts that you're a great guy with a tremendous sense of humor. Is it possible that at your former weight you were able to hide in the background a little bit and being the center of attention is just not your style? The good news is that after you've been in maintenance mode for a while, you won't be going through so many of these wow-you-look-great moments. You may have women hitting on you, but the dieting comments will have stopped.

Most people have gone through dieting efforts at some point in their lives, and they know how hard it is to lose. To have been as successful as you've been, they know it was a big achievement and sometimes they just get a little carried away.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #7  
There I am!

S/C/G: 279/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

Yes, I know how awkward that is. Same thing happened to me about a month ago. Someone (a guy) was complimenting me on my weight loss in front of his wife and my husband. He actually asked me to spin around so he could take a look Now that was embarrassing. I didn't even want to look at his wife's expression after that. My husband and I both talked about it afterwards and thought it was a weird request he made in front of his wife.....my husband actually took it as a compliment someone thinking his wife is hot, but he's chilled/laid back that way

Now me on the other hand, if the shoe was on the other foot, I'd be giving that woman asking that of my husband a look that would send her packing
thnknthin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #8  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Meh, honestly I think you're hyping it up in your head and making a bigger deal out of it that it was.

You got a complement! That's great, just enjoy it!
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I think it would be more awkward if her husband was not there.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #10  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I'm with Bargoo
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #11  
MF 3/31/13

S/C/G: 261/ticker/155 for now

Height: 5'2"

I could see myself doing something like that with my husband standing right there, he would think nothing of it. Seriously.

HOWEVER, I would have been just as uncomfortable as you were if the roles were reversed. I HATE being the center of attention, so I find people complimenting me on my weight loss SO uncomfortable! Lucky for me the people in my life know this about me and can manage to compliment in a very low-key way.
SuperHeroTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #12  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterbugmama84 View Post
Hehe I can see how that would be awkward. But honestly, I could see myself complimenting someone like that in front of my husband and him being totally okay with it. Maybe they just have a solid relationship and he knows she doesn't mean anything by it.

But way to go either way! I can't wait until I've reached a point others have noticed my loss.
This^^
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/150

Height: 5' 6"

Hm. I don't find this awkward at all. Why would it be? She hasn't seen you since you lost the weight, it just seems normal to me that she would compliment you. Husband or not. Get used to it! Your new look must awesome!
Joil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #14  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

OK, I did over-think it so thanks guys.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote