Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-10-2013, 10:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: tick'

Height: 5'8

Default In need of a supportive nudge

I've been on this lifestyle since about March of this year. Have lost 30 lbs primarily by eating clean and the occasional exercise.

Last week I started a heavy lifting program (NROLFW) as some of you may have read. I started Monday so I've done 4 workouts. I'm not concerned with the scale as I know the daily fluctuations, not to mention water retention from weight training; which I haven't done in years. Literally years. Well Mondays are my measurement days. Took my measurements and not one has budged. Not one. In fact, some have gone up by 1/4 of an inch. Not a huge gain, and I'm happy about that, believe me. But I thought I'd at least see something. I'm not expecting a huge loss, or even a mediocre loss. But half an inch somewhere would have been nice.

Positive thing is, I LOVE weight training. Love love love it. I've fallen in love with it. And I'm so proud of that. I'm going to stick it out no matter what, I just thought I'd see something. I know it's early. Good things come to those who wait I suppose.

Any kind words or "kick in the butt" attitude is fully welcomed .

Last edited by Remington90; 06-10-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Remington90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #2  

Height: 5"6

Consider yourself NUDGED!!! RILL:

It takes a while to begin seeing results from a new program! And, good on you for starting one! I am currently on Week 3 of no changes- it happens sometimes! You know you are making excellent changes, and the rest will fall into place! Make sure you are eating enough calories to support your new regime, as that was my mistake.

But, Remington, you are already fabulous. KEEP GOING!!!!!
NorthernChick13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:07 PM   #3  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Keep pushing through!!! It takes a while to see any changes and you are right, it is early. Personally, I'd give it a month then do the measurements- I'm sure you'll see a difference by then! Man, you're so lucky! I can't wait until the day I say I LOVE weight training!

Consider yourself nudged by me too!!!!
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:09 PM   #4  

NorthernChick,

Thanks . For once I am proud of what I've accomplished. To be honest, I'm scared to eat more calories. I've been meeting my limit (determined before lifting) and sometimes exceeding it. This weekend I exceeded it in a probably not so good way. I'm just so nervous to eat more. I've worked hard to get where I'm at, and I feel like it'll lead to a set back. I should just shut up and do it.

Ahh it's so difficult. Good luck on breaking through your 3 week stall. Wish I had the strong attitude about it like you do!

Amandie,

Haha, I'm surprised I love it like I do. However I CANNOT even like cardio. So that's my downfall. Thanks for the nudge and maybe I'll toss the scale and the tape away for now!

Last edited by Remington90; 06-10-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:59 AM   #5  

Keep pushing through!!! It takes some time to-see any changes and you're right, it's early. Personally, I had give it a month then do the measurements- I am certain you'll see a huge difference at that time! Guy, you're so fortunate! I can't wait till the day I say I LOVE weight lifting!

Consider yourself nudged by me too...
PatriceChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #6  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Remington! You know better than to expect big results in one week! Also, it's often difficult to be sure you have your measuring tape in precisely the exact same spot every time thus making it difficult to accurately compare measurements over short periods of time (of course after longer periods the size difference becomes more pronounced and you will be able to measure a change even if it's off by a 1/4 inch or so).

Chin up, stick with it, and keep on keeping on. You'll start to see progress soon! Oh, and congrats on your new found love
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Remember, too, that not all changes are reflected in measurements. For instance, a flabby arm and toned arm may well have the same circumference.

I wish I could say I enjoyed weight training, but I much prefer cardio workouts. When I do cardio (whether running or spin class or kickboxing), I find I can get into a "zone" and lose myself a bit, which never happens when I'm doing weights. That's why I do almost exclusively cardio.

Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #8  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Sounds like you're doing all the right stuff! Weight lifting is supposed to be ideal for weight loss and you're taking measurements, which is a good tool (but not perfect, like anything else, as mentioned by others). Can I also suggest you take some photos of yourself? Sometimes those can show something we don't see on the scale and somehow missed in the measurements.

Finally, calories matter, even more than the lifting for weight loss. Just be sure you're eating enough protein and know that after losing 30 lbs. , you probably need to work harder to lose than before (less calories).

Nudge.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #9  

To everyone who has responded, thank you.

I do luckily have ways to keep my measurements accurate. I chart them by freckles, tattoos, scars etc. the only areas that are a bit "shady" are my belly and my hips(around my butt). Other than those areas, I have exact measuring locations. Tattoos come in handy for more that just artwork haha.

I'm just going to relax and wait a month before I obsess over anything. It's hard to do as obviously we want to see changes rather quickly. I'm going to focus on my weight-training gains as mini goals and re-evaluate in a months time.

thanks for the nudges!