Low Fat Diet Question???

• Hi..
    I just joined this group...I think is going to be great fun...
    My problem is...I am trying a "low fat" diet and I'm a little confused on the labels on food..
    What exactly does it mean when it says "calories from fat"?
    If I'm going for 20 to 30 fat grams a day..Do I count the actual calories..or the "calories from fat" in determing how many calories I'm eating a day...OR..is just counting the "fat grams" sufficient..
    Is this question as confused as I am..
    Would love any reponses and you can e-mail them to me at [email protected]

Thanks so much
  • If you're following a specific diet plan that says only count fat grams or calories from fat then do that. Otherwise, count all calories for the day. A calorie is a calorie whether it comes from fat or carbohydrate and, if you eat too many calories, you won't lose weight no matter how low fat your diet is.

Find a low fat diet and read up on it...you may find specific diets that say only to count a specific thing. For example, with Atkins low carb, I only count carbs and can more or less ignore calories altogether (using common sense). I obviously won't lose weight if I eat nothing but bacon all day but I've been losing 2-4 pounds per week on a diet of veggies, meats, cheeses and other low carb goodies...when I actually counted calories I was up in the 2000 to 2500 range and still losing weight.
  • I am on a Calorie counting/fat counting program. First off, you need to know how many fat calories per day you are allowed. If you go to www.dietician.com, she has a calculator where you can put in info and it will tell you how many calories/ fat calories you are allowed per day to reach your goal weight. For example, I am on 1600 cal/400 fat (25%) calories, so if let's say I want to eat a serving of pretzel sticks and the package says a serving size is 28 sticks and the calories are 110 and the fat cal are 10 then you take the 110 from your 1600 and the 10 from the 400.

Each gram of fat is 9 calories so if something says it has 4 grams of fat, it has 9 X 4= 36 fat calories.

Hope this helps.

Faye
  • Hi Faye.
    Thanks so much!! Yes a big help..That's exactly what I was looking for...

Make it a great day!!