Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-30-2013, 09:08 PM   #16  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

I really enjoy my quiet morning time on a run outside or at the gym....it's MY time and no one would ever interrupt me at 5:30 a.m. because all work and family obligations are still asleep

I also like to buy more expensive things like cherries or asparagus or almond milk and I feel like i'm spoiling myself that way, instead of eating the cheap donuts that the rest of the family like

I also take a ridiculous amount of self-photos on my iPhone...almost like I don't believe that i'm smaller....like "am I still skinnier today?" and i'll take a pic to prove it LOL I know, weird
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:09 PM   #17  
Plant Powered!

S/C/G: 205/168.5/165

Height: 6'0"

SuperHero, that hat is SUPER CUTE! I've got a honeymoon coming up in Mexico, and I think it would look fabulous with my new bikini... Hmmm lol.

I usually spoil myself with getting my nails done or having a HEALTHY treat. IE, my favorite thing in the whole world, a dark chocolate covered banana. Mmm.
EmLay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #18  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanlaughter View Post
I also take a ridiculous amount of self-photos on my iPhone...almost like I don't believe that i'm smaller....like "am I still skinnier today?" and i'll take a pic to prove it LOL I know, weird
Awwww that's not weird! I think it's cute! I can't wait to be at a point to stomach a picture of myself.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:12 PM   #19  
MF 3/31/13

S/C/G: 261/ticker/155 for now

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanlaughter View Post
I really enjoy my quiet morning time on a run outside or at the gym....it's MY time and no one would ever interrupt me at 5:30 a.m. because all work and family obligations are still asleep

I also like to buy more expensive things like cherries or asparagus or almond milk and I feel like i'm spoiling myself that way, instead of eating the cheap donuts that the rest of the family like

I WISH I could think of exercise (in any form) as a treat, I'm just not there!

And I'm a little jealous of your picture taking. I'm still very camera shy, and don't see a difference between me now and 30+ pounds ago when I started. I know I'm smaller, my clothes don't fit, I'm moving better, etc. I just don't SEE it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmLay View Post
SuperHero, that hat is SUPER CUTE! I've got a honeymoon coming up in Mexico, and I think it would look fabulous with my new bikini... Hmmm lol.
The hat is by Flora Bella and I've seen it at Nordstrom.com and everythingbutwater.com.
SuperHeroTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:30 PM   #20  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHeroTeacher View Post
I'm very careful to not reward or spoil myself with food, of any sort, because for me it perpetuates my unhealthy relationship with food.
I think there's an important distinction between using food as a reward, and using food you enjoy to do good things for your body and mind. I think spoiling is a poor choice of words, because by it's very nature it implies excess to the point of damage. Pampering, splurges, luxuries... though are concepts I have no problem with.

I too avoid food as rewards. I reward every five pound loss with a bead that represents those pounds. If I regain, I remove the representational beads, so I'm only wearing what I've "earned."

But there are healthy foods I love that are outside my normal budget. Blackberries, even in season, are (what I consider) extremely expensive. I normally allot 20-50 cents per serving of fruit, and blackberries run $2 to $6 per serving. Paying 10 to 30 times more than normal can't really be called anything but a splurge or luxury expense (unless perhaps you have no budget and shop without regard to cost - but that in itself is a luxury).

For me the benefit of food-splurges is the realization that foods that do great things for your body can taste great too, and some expensive food items (regardless of what you consider expensive) are worth the expense for tangible and intangible reasons. It's ok to buy foods because you enjoy them.

For everyday, I'm fine with my 38 cent per pound bananas and my 33 cent Ambrosia and Braeburn apples, but sometimes I want the 80 cent Honeycrisp apple or my $3 summer blackberries (I draw the line at $6 winter blackberries). And it just wouldn't be Summer without my July Ranier Cherries (I do go a bit overboard during cherry month, but I usually lose exceptionally well in July, even if it's in part due to overindulgence and paid for with some digestive discomfort from the extra fiber and fruit sugars.

Last edited by kaplods; 05-30-2013 at 11:32 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:26 AM   #21  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Every Thursday I have a babysitter so that I can go for a run. I desperately missed running during my pregnancy (it's my stress reliever), and at times I feel guilty leaving my infant with someone so that I can go do something just for myself. But that's my treat. Two years ago, when I thought I hated running, I NEVER would have thought going for a run would be a treat!
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote