Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 305/305/215

Height: 5'10"

It is not your fault you find them addictive. They are intentionally manufactured in such a way to get you hooked. Not kidding. Doritos are made with FOUR different kinds of glutamates. For those not in the know, glutamates enhance flavor. They make you LOVE it. Like sprinking heroin on snack food. Also, glutamates inhibit the "I'm full" signal so you just keep eating and eating and eating. True story.
Tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 317/257/167

Height: 5'2"

This thread is doing nothing for me but making me crave Doritos. I was at the store this weekend buying cat food and while I was standing in line I noticed a new flavour - Pepper Jack or something like that - and thought mmmm those would be good. I picked up the bag and looked at the calories. 660 calories for the small individual bag. I'm happy to report that I put them back and bought my cat's their food and went home. Now all of this talk about Doritos is making want them again. lol
kwin1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #33  

My husband was eating some new kind of chips he got at the store yesterday. He said they tasted like Doritos. So of course I had to lick one...they were NOTHING like Doritos. Some gluten-free, organic, foo-foo pita type chip he got on sale. (I have nothing against foo-foo chips, just don't call them Doritos!)

I told him we have a whole thread about Doritos and the chips he was eating had NOTHING like the chemical reaction we crave and receive from Doritos. And...that you'd all be offended by his silly tastebuds. He could never be a part of the Dorito Club!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 218/190.4/155

Height: 5'7"

Kind of following up on Tate's comment:

Yes, they include MSG which switches off the body's ability to say "I'm full."

Also partially hydrogenated oil, a type of fat God never intended and is created in a laboratory, thus our bodies don't know how to process it and it causes all kinds of inflammation. (Yes, it's not on the label but there is a FDA loophole that allows them to round down to zero if it is .5 g or less per serving..and let's face it, who only eats one serving?)

artificial colors (especially in the cool ranch ones), including yellow #5 which is made from petroleum. (not kidding - google it!) Also blue and red dyes, which my friends with kids tell me makes their hyperactivity and ADD symptoms worse.

a crap ton of sodium (80% of your RDA in twelve chips...and, come on, who eats only twelve chips?)

and practically no vitamins and minerals or anything else beneficial.

Don't get me wrong, I like the taste, too. But looking at the ingredient label and knowing the impact on my health can help me to steer clear.
SuperCecilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #35  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post

I told him we have a whole thread about Doritos and the chips he was eating had NOTHING like the chemical reaction we crave and receive from Doritos. And...that you'd all be offended by his silly tastebuds. He could never be a part of the Dorito Club!
Tell your husband I am FREAKING offended! Bwhahahahah!
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #36  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCecilia View Post
But looking at the ingredient label and knowing the impact on my health can help me to steer clear.
If you keep the front of the bag facing you, you will never see the ingredients. That's how I do it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboMammoth View Post
Tell your husband I am FREAKING offended! Bwhahahahah!
I'll give him the hairy eyeball when he's eating them tonight. What do I call them, Mockritos?
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote