Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

Height: 5'7"

Default Blessed Mystery - Reduced Appetite

I have noticed in the past week or so that my appetite has really decreased. I'm not as hungry. I tend to get full sooner and feel uncomfortably full with less food. I'm grateful, but I don't understand why this is happening.

I would expect this to happen if I was on a strict diet with portion control. I have noticed my stomach shrunk (for lack of a better term) to an extent when I was consistently eating less food. But this past couple of weeks I have been barely restrictive at all. A lot of my food choices are pretty good, but some are down right horrible. In fact, I've noticed that I'm eating more out of habit vs. real desire.

As an example: The other day I made three medium sized breakfast tacos (though not large) with eggbeaters, a bit of cheese, and salsa in a high fiber, low calorie tortilla. On a "diet" I would have only made two. I could eat three no problem normally. I ate one and I was satiated. I didn't need the other two.

Normally I would eat three times a day and a lot of times want a late evening snack besides. The past week I could be okay with eating twice a day.

I'm overjoyed at this development and hoping to take advantage of it, but I really would like to know why it is happening. I'm hoping someone has some perspective on this.

I have some thoughts on some things that have changed.

Weather: It is spring and getting warmer. In the wintertime when it is colder and darker I have more of a desire to eat and be less active. I know the improved weather is a contributing factor regardless, but that hasn't significantly changed my appetite to this extent in years past.

Stress: I've been under a great deal of stress and pressure the past six years (arguably more). My job is stressful (and that hasn't changed) but, I've finally graduated from college. I've spent the past six years either working and taking classes or working and dealing with my own or a family member's major medical problems.

Body Image: I've been actively trying to change my own body image. I might not be skinny, but I'm relatively healthy in the grand scheme of things. There are beautiful things about my body. I've been trying to really appreciate what I have and not wait to appreciate my body when I'm at my personal "ideal". This likely is lessening my anxiety about food and creating less tension/stress regarding food choices.

I know that Cortisol (stress hormone) is closely related with weight gain and I likely have less in my body. But could it really be having that dramatic of an impact? Has anyone else experienced a sudden drop in appetite? If so, do you know why?
Renwomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:28 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Maybe you are learning the difference between "satisfied" and stuffed?

I used to eat to the point I was uncomfortably full, now I don't, it's made a huge difference IMO.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
Maybe you are learning the difference between "satisfied" and stuffed?

I used to eat to the point I was uncomfortably full, now I don't, it's made a huge difference IMO.
That is a good idea and certainly normally a viable possibility. Thank you for sharing the idea! I did have to learn how to make that distinction in the past. In this case, I don't believe that is a factor. I've been better at making that distinction for some years now. What I'm experiencing more is a reduction in my urge to eat at all in the first place. I'm finding that I do get full sooner but I think it is related to my reduced appetite/desire to eat.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #4  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Any difference in how much sleep you're getting?

Regardless, enjoy it while it lasts!
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:48 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Any difference in how much sleep you're getting?

Regardless, enjoy it while it lasts!
Hmmm.. I don't think that has changed significantly one way or another, but is is worth looking into more. One of the medical issues I've had over the past several years was untreated sleep apnea. I've been religiously using a CPAP machine for about a year now. (As a side note, if you aren't getting enough sleep that can raise your coritsol levels as well.) I haven't checked my sleep data in a while and it would be worth looking at to see if there is a marked difference in the past month.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

If you do find out the why, can you bottle it and sell it? One of the things I find most challenging about weight management is that I always have a large appetite, even when I'm sick or stressed. (The only exception is when I'm SEVERELY depressed. Mild depression doesn't make a dent in my appetite.) I was apparently born with a supersize appetite (according to my mom) and at 56 I've yet to lose it.

Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #7  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I'm experiencing similar things right now, but for me it is primarily the season change (though we just got a record breaking snow - longest winter season ever on record ) that alters my serotonin and dopamine levels. I get more sluggish and hungry in the winter due to hormones, as most people do. See more light = more energy and reduced appetite, somewhat effortlessly.

The other thing that seems to be helping is that my daughter isn't in a growth spurt and so the demands of nursing are fairly steady, as opposed to ramping up to support her increased growth. That will adjust multiple times over the next year, but I'm enjoying the ease while it lasts
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
If you do find out the why, can you bottle it and sell it? One of the things I find most challenging about weight management is that I always have a large appetite, even when I'm sick or stressed. (The only exception is when I'm SEVERELY depressed. Mild depression doesn't make a dent in my appetite.) I was apparently born with a supersize appetite (according to my mom) and at 56 I've yet to lose it.

Freelance
I would love to be able to give it away for free! But I would love to identify the why so when/if it goes away I might have a chance of reproducing it?
Old 05-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #9  

I think for me, cutting out the junk food (I'm a carb addict, I can't be trusted with them) and eating healthy totally changed the way I want and react to food. I have plenty of food in my diet even though I only run about 1100 calories a day before exercise (I'm medically supervised so it's ok for me to be this low!) and it's a good balance of protein, fat and carbs (but most of the carbs are from fruits and veggies). If I were to add in a piece of bread or chips, I'd be starving and stuffing my face all day (and it wouldn't be with healthy food). The only thing is, now I'm petrified to ever add those carbs back into my diet! I am doing phenomenal without them but I sure do miss them. But not enough to sabotage myself. I like *not* being hungry all the time now!

Like John said, enjoy it!! I always question so many things when I should just ride the wave!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 246/246/135

Height: 5'6

For me this happened because I started taking a new medication. Then when my dosage was increased I had to revamp my entire diet because I was barely eating. Get full fast. No desire to eat. And I stopped registering hunger as pain/something that needed to be fixed. Now I have to calorie count and eat at very specific times and I'm not allowed to miss meal or snack lol.
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote