Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-07-2013, 10:28 PM   #1  

Default How to lose weight with NO time?

Hi, Im new here but definitely not new to dieting. Well, not so much 'dieting' as Ive never been one to try the different diets, but trying to stick to a healthy eating and exercise plan. I'm 20 years old but have been unhappy with my body shape for as long as I can remember. I'm 5'9 and about 150lbs which is high for me, I usually hover around 145. Anyway, a little about me for reference.

I'm a recovering bulimic which is why I think my weight is on the high side as Ive read and been told most people gain a little during recovery. Im confident that Ive kicked the habit for good, Im just trying to repair the damage Ive done. I eat around 1200 calories a day of good food: fruits, veggies, whole grains, and lean protein. I feel like Ive got the meal plan down well. What I still struggle with is exercise!

Currently I am a full-time student with two jobs, so Im working 75 hours a week. So what Id like to know is, have any of you out there succeeded in losing weight with a schedule like this, and how? What exercise would be most efficient at fat burning with the little time I have, and do you have any tips on how to work exercise into an extremely busy schedule?

I would really love to have some support and input and would like to become a frequent poster, a good support group is what Ive lacked in all of my attempts to finally get the body I want.
fruitfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/(ticker)/155

Height: 5'6"

I started running and what I like about it is that you burn a lot of calories without spending a lot of time. If you do the Couch to 5K program, most of the runs are right around 30 minutes or so and you do it 3 days a week.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I do think with your history it's probably a good idea to keep your doctor in the loop. Heck, I have a history of overeating and an unhealthy relationship with food, so I also keep my doctor informed of what I'm doing

Last edited by Underwater; 04-07-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Underwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #3  

Im skeptic of doctors because theyve never been too understanding or helpful before, but I need a new one so Ill give it a shot!

I used to run five miles a day and absolutely loved it, but honestly I never really saw the results I was looking for? I only did it for about two months but as much as I did I really thought I would have got more out of it. My problem area is my legs and they definitely didnt seem to slim down at all.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #4  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

You are working 75 hours a week and going to school!? When do you sleep?
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:54 PM   #5  

Oh no, my jobs combined with school end up being 75 hrs. Sorry about that!
Old 04-08-2013, 12:24 AM   #6  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Fruitfreak you don't need to worry about losing weight it's fat you want to lose.

My point is that I wouldn't suggest you measure your progress with the scale, at all.

For exercise - there is no "best exercise". Given your relative lack of time I would suggest looking into something you can do at home so you don't have to spend any time going somewhere to workout.

I'm personally a fan of "Spartacus 2.0" workout which requires only a small investment in weights. Wallmart sells a very cheap weight set which would work for it.

Having said that - what matters is an exercise that you enjoy or at least don't hate so you incorporate it as part of a lifestyle.

Finally, I usually don't have a problem with people's calories being too low but in your specific case I would advise you to increase your daily calories. Not by a huge amount but you should be able to lose fat at 1500 calories and always lower them in the future.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #7  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Fruitfreak you don't need to worry about losing weight it's fat you want to lose.

I'm personally a fan of "Spartacus 2.0" workout which requires only a small investment in weights. Wallmart sells a very cheap weight set which would work for it.
I clicked on the link anxious to see a routine that involved sparring with wooden swords!
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #8  

Height: 5'8.5"

Just want to say please don't be a skeptic of all doctors just because you have not had good support from the ones you have had in the past. Some of them are wonderful! I have the best doctor ever and she is so supportive. I even asked her if I could check in with her every three months just for accountability and support and she was happy for me to do so, even though she is extremely busy. She is beaming with pride and happiness with every step I make towards better health.

Find yourself a good doctor; with your history you definitely need to have this support and medical supervision!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #9  

Thank you Misti, it sounds like a good idea when you put it that way!

I can give that workout a try as I do enjoy using weights. I actually dont use my scale at all, Ive purposely left it behind haha. I figured Ill check my weight about every month just to know, but I do like to measure by visible changes only since you're right, its fat loss Im after.

Anyone have any good suggestions for some cardio? I want to start jogging again but I never feel its intense enough.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #10  

If you want to see changes in your body shape, you need resistance training. And you can do it at home with an inexpensive resistance band. Everyone should be doing cardio and at least 2-3 sessions of weight (resistance training) a week. The resistance is what shapes those lovely curves and burns fat.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote