3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Weight Loss Patterns- Do you have one? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/279227-weight-loss-patterns-do-you-have-one.html)

lunarsongbird 04-06-2013 08:40 PM

Weight Loss Patterns- Do you have one?

I came across a quote a few days ago that says,
"Life is not linear. It's organic."

Isn't that the truth?
My weight loss is is absolutely not linear. And as I lose weight and my hormones are doing...whatever hormones do, my patterns seem to be shifting.

Do you have a weight loss pattern? What does it look like?
(There was a thread about this about two years ago- has your pattern changed since then?)

Does anyone else get discouraged on the scale- even if they know that their weight loss journey won't be linear?

lunarsongbird 04-06-2013 08:44 PM

Oh...so I find my pattern to be particularly frustrating. I gain about 4-6 pounds every two weeks with ovulation (is there a secret acronym for this?) and TOM. I will hit an all time low days before...HOORRAY....SO excited...for like..A DAY...and then BAM- UP UP and AWAY!

I feel like a buoy that is being pulled by the currents.

It's messing with my emotions. I know it shouldn't- and I'm trying to work on it, but it's frustrating. Even when I know that my fat percentage goes down every single week... I am so emotionally attached to the scale.

Elladorine 04-06-2013 09:00 PM

I'm not seeing any real pattern over the course of the past year, other than averaging .96 pounds per week. Which seems rather odd given that I often gain for no apparent reason other than my body wants to mock me. :p Why yes, it's just fluctuations I'm sure, but still . . . :lol: Oddly enough, it doesn't seem tied to TOM like you'd think. :?:

I have noticed set-points I've stayed at for months or even years, and that I've had the pattern of losing 20-40 pounds before maintaining for eons before losing another 20-40 pounds. I finally broke that pattern this year, and hope I can keep plowing through. :dizzy:

Amarantha2 04-06-2013 09:01 PM

When I was much heavier a long time ago & began the protracted journey to lose excess weight & maintain, the pattern was more linear. I lost consistent amounts, sometimes plateaued, occasionally gained.

These days I maintain, regain a bit, lose it, repeat, sometimes it is linear, but mostly punctuated equilibrium.

IanG 04-06-2013 09:04 PM

My graph pretty much sums it up. Big drops. Then up a little. Down a little. Stay a little. Drop.

It's my man cycle.

Mozzy 04-06-2013 09:22 PM

I seem to hold the same weight for 2-3 days, then lose, then shoot up, then lose.

Rinse wash repeat

Keep Moving Forward 04-06-2013 10:59 PM

In each of my previous weight loss attempts, I would drop the first 15-20lbs with ease, & then hit a wall. At this point, I would either fight to keep trying or totally give up, which would lead to gaining it all back & more. Beyond that, I have no idea what my pattern would be because I've never kept at it long enough to find out. This time, I'm not quitting, so I'll soon find out.

Dichi 04-06-2013 11:27 PM

I used to drop all month until a week before TOM. Then I'd gain. A week later I'd get the woosh. Rinse and repeat.

merilung 04-06-2013 11:32 PM

Yup, I have a pattern - when I go Off Plan, I gain weight, and when I stay On Plan, I lose ;)

Other than that, I don't have a truly consistent pattern - sometimes I gain around TOM, but not always. Sometimes I stall out around ovulation, but not always. Most of my gains/stalls are related to something I did. I can usually tell if I'm retaining water, so I usually don't stress that.

searchingforbalance 04-06-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mozzy (Post 4696559)
I seem to hold the same weight for 2-3 days, then lose, then shoot up, then lose.

Rinse wash repeat

Same here!! I'm sure its also related to the fact that I have my higher calorie days on the weekends. The scale usually drops Saturday, goes up Sunday and Monday, drops and holds a bit for the rest of the week and then by Friday and Saturday drops again.

IanG 04-06-2013 11:37 PM

Not for me. Weekends are focus time.

Sticking around the house is way more active than work!

And the salads in this place are a lot smaller than at the work canteen!

Doomkitty 04-07-2013 12:21 AM

When I first began losing weight, I steadily shed ~30 pounds and then stopped working out. I think I just burned myself out. Since then, I've developed a pattern of stopping and starting that has resulted in a 7 pound loss since, maybe, November. It's slow but the weight stays off so I'm very happy about that.

I work out for a week or so, take a break, work out some more...but I steadily keep what I'm eating in mind so that I, at the very least, don't gain weight back. It results in something like...

Then there will be a slow drop...

Then I'll plateau again. Then drop. Then plateau. I'm currently dropping off a plateau I think, I weighed in at 133 (used to hover near 135) on Friday so we'll see where I am at my next weigh in. That will give me a better idea of which part of the cycle I'm in now. :)

lunarsongbird 04-08-2013 09:46 AM

So someone encouraged me to do a little weight loss graphing and the results were pretty interesting...I definitely have a pattern:
http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/...ps91541439.jpg

Does anyone else graph?

Doomkitty 04-08-2013 10:07 AM

That is really cool, lunarsongbird!

lunarsongbird 04-08-2013 10:26 AM

...And exhausting. LOL. It's like I have two completely different weight loss patterns- you can connect the top dots...and the bottom dots. My weight loss journey has multiple personalities. -_-

The app is called Monitor Your Weight.
http://www.bustan.net/monitoryourweight/