Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-03-2013, 04:27 PM   #46  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
Oooh. Even the big guns are coming in on this one!

I am tempted to combine everyone's suggestions into a lengthy diatribe that I recite at great speed and with much angst.

With your inputs, I have developed the following standard response that I will be giving to everyone:

Question: "How did you lose weight Ian?"

Standard Answer: "Are you an idiot or just trying to connnect with me but doing it in a really socially awkward way? Anyway, I have changed my lifestyle. You know, healthy food, exercise. Nothing fancy. I eat a lot less. I have stopped eating breakfast and joined a gym where I bust my ****. I do Weight Watchers and My Fitness Pal. I like to do some running and lift 3 days per week, cardio 4 - 5 days per week and Pilates 6 days per week. I also take a magic pill, eat salads and juice non-processed fresh, raw, clean nutrients with a juicer based on the Gerson Therapy. I watch my portions, count my calories with a digital scale, eat low carb and have 1 planned high calorie meal on Friday or Saturday. Hope that answers it as I don't really care what you think. That's the beauty of having our own body, I can do whatever the f*** I want with mine, and you can do whatever you want with yours. See ya."
What about the beer? Didn't you substitute dinner for beer?
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #47  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

LMAO - love the movie.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #48  
Warrior Princess

I eat a lot less and I like to jog 4-5 days a week. Then you can tell their minds switch to laundry or something.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #49  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Quote:

I am tempted to combine everyone's suggestions into a lengthy diatribe that I recite at great speed and with much angst.

With your inputs, I have developed the following standard response that I will be giving to everyone:

Standard Answer: "Are you an idiot or just trying to connnect with me but doing it in a really socially awkward way? Anyway, I have changed my lifestyle. You know, healthy food, exercise. Nothing fancy. I eat a lot less. I have stopped eating breakfast and joined a gym where I bust my ****. I do Weight Watchers and My Fitness Pal. I like to do some running and lift 3 days per week, cardio 4 - 5 days per week and Pilates 6 days per week. I also take a magic pill, eat salads and juice non-processed fresh, raw, clean nutrients with a juicer based on the Gerson Therapy. I watch my portions, count my calories with a digital scale, eat low carb and have 1 planned high calorie meal on Friday or Saturday. Hope that answers it as I don't really care what you think. That's the beauty of having our own body, I can do whatever the f*** I want with mine, and you can do whatever you want with yours. See ya."
Quote:
I made it into an Xtranormal movie:

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/1433...ost-weight-ian
OH MY LORD I laughed so hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #50  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:

LMAO! that cracked me up!!
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #51  

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
My last reply, I promise...I LAUGHED my a$$ off!!!!!!!!!!! See ya!
Exactly my response! That is a riot, IanG!
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 164/--/--

Height: 5'7"

I always ask people how they did it. Obviously i know they must have eaten less in order to lose weight. What i'm really asking is where they found the motivation.
surfergirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #53  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Latest version is at:

IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #54  

I have found that some people just want to know because they are being nosey and don't actually care. For those people an answer such as 'god is melting the pounds off me - it's a miracle' would suffice lol.

Last edited by SnowPetal; 04-03-2013 at 06:57 PM.
SnowPetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #55  
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfergirl2 View Post
I always ask people how they did it. Obviously i know they must have eaten less in order to lose weight. What i'm really asking is where they found the motivation.
We're talking about general people in RL, not people here. Bikinis and beaches were/are my motivation as well as my mental health.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Ian, that's hilarious!
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:59 AM   #57  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
I made it into an Xtranormal movie:

Brilliant!!!!!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #58  
love machine!

S/C/G: 167/130.2/120

Height: 5'6"

Yea, I was too. I was pretty pissed and wanted to ROAR at her to make her SHUT UP. I hate rude people.
om namah shivaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #59  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I do a weekly support group that focuses on weight loss. So you'd think there would be nothing but support . . . but nope.

Last night's meeting was a huge deal for me, as I got my 50 pound pin (I wasn't a member at the start of my weight loss journey, otherwise I'd be closing in an a 150 pound pin). And with so many watching my growing (shrinking?) success, I'm constantly asked for advice.

In a nutshell, I basically explain that I avoid added sugar, watch my portions, eat lots of veggies, and write everything down. And I go into further detail only if asked, like planning out restaurant meals (I do eat out a lot), swapping out simple carbs in favor of complex ones, and making sure to leave room for occasional treats (for example, I buy no-sugar-added ice cream sandwiches).

Their replies aren't always easy to respond to:

I could never do that!
I don't have the time.
Well, you have to live!
I have to have my sweets.
Are you sure you're eating enough?
I'm a bread person.
But you need carbs!
You shouldn't be eating any sugar-free treats.
Whole grain bread is worse for you than white because it makes you hungrier.

And since I reached a milestone last night, I was asked how much more I want to lose. When I said about 60 pounds, there were raised eyebrows everywhere:

[Incredulously] Is that what your doctor told you?
[Followed by] Well, doctors don't always know best.
You'll be nothing but skin and bones!
How could you possibly lose that much, you're already thin now! [Uh, no I'm not, I'm still technically obese.]

My response to all of this? I do a lot of smiling and shrugging, and say I'm stubbornly determined to whatever it takes to be healthier.

Last edited by Elladorine; 04-04-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:59 PM   #60  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Good tips. I hear from her assistant that my boss has noticed my weight loss today. I hope she does not say anything. But you have equipped me well!
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote