Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #1  
Amazing will be me

Default How to lose weight when doing a desk job???

Ahh where do i start , im so frustrated I could CRY.
I just cant seem to lose weight no matter what I do

And I am trying.
But ever since I started my Job which is working in an office 40hours a week i cant shift it what so ever.
Im sticking to 1500 calories per day via my fitness pal.
I started doing kick boxing 4 weeks ago and doing that 3 times per week ,
also do at home dvds when I can.
Even started getting the bus and train in to work as i have to walk to each stop instead of taking car.

I only have 8 weeks till my wedding and my dress is snug I NEED TO lose weight.

I feel like even though im taking extra steps outside of work because im stuck at that desk for 70per cent of my day im just maintaining , its really getting me down i cant think of what else i can do as theres just not enough hours in the day to fit double work outs in. Im constantly tired with fitting everything in as it is.
does any one have any advice ?
lucky8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/245/150 SW/CW/GW

Height: 5" 6"

You might try checking your settings on my fitness pal. I am much heavier than you and also work at a desk job and for a 2 lb a week loss it allows only 1200 calories for sedentary. While you might not want to drop your calories that far you may need to drop another 100-150 calories to see a loss. Also make sure you are tracking every bite you put in your mouth. You don't say what you're eating in those 1500 calories but fresh foods, fruit, veggies and be sure to drink plenty of water.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding! You are undoubtedly going to be a beautiful bride no matter your weight.
huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:07 AM   #3  
Amazing will be me

Typical day id have
porrage or special k for breakfast

Soup or a boots shapers under 500 cal meal

and a home made meal in slow cooker for tea , meat & veg type things

I was on 1200 but upped it to 1500 as when i started kickboxing i found my self being so hungry i could have been sick.

Im going to drop it back to 1200 and see how it goes
lucky8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky8 View Post

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Unfortunately I can't really offer advice, but I do want to offer a word of encouragement...

...if you are like 95% of brides, you WILL drop some weight right before the wedding.

My daughter's dress was a little tight in the back, but the seamstress (who'd been doing this for 40 years) absolutely refused to let it out. One reason was because if she let it out in the back it was going to be a bit loose around the bust, but the other reason was that she knew she'd lose weight. She kept saying "Trust me - ALL brides lose weight!" Even two weeks before the wedding it was still - in my mind - too tight in the back (part of her "back fat" came over the top, even though it was hidden by her veil).

Sure enough, she put the dress on in the bridal room at the church and when her MOH zipped it up and went to "adjust" her the way the seamstress instructed her to do, lo and behold the back fat was gone! It fit perfectly. It was a bit looser around the bust, but fortunately not so much that it was a real problem.

So no matter what you do or don't do over the next eight weeks, that dress will probably NOT be snug when you walk down the aisle!
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #5  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

You might try balancing out your calories a bit. It seems to me you must be eating a lot of calories at dinner. (I'm guessing your breakfast at 300 calories and your lunch at 400 calories, so if you're eating 1,500 calories a day, that means dinner is 800.) Some people can do that and lose weight. I personally cannot. My body needs calories at breakfast to function through the day, not at dinner for sleeping. Maybe adjust your calories and see if that's true for you, also?
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #6  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Get a couple of low calorie salads in there instead of the lunch/evening meal.

I only eat salads now. Love 'em.

Last edited by IanG; 03-16-2013 at 10:41 AM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #7  
Danielle

S/C/G: 293/see ticker/193

Height: 5'8

I listen to reggae music to keep me moving. Really works my abs too!!! Lol
MzJuicyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Can you walk around your office building during breaks or lunch? Can you park your car far away from the building so you have to walk more to get to your desk? Little things can add up.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #9  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

Exercise can only do so much, but it sounds like your doing great with that. If you're having trouble losing weight even though your calories sound right, I know some people lose fast when they cut back on carbs as well. Its worth a shot.

I have a desk job as well. I try to take healthy snacks and lunches with me and move as much as I can.

- Bring fruit or veggies for snacks.
- Avoid the vending machine and/or candy dish.
- Drink lots of water, unsweetened hot tea, or black coffee.
- Every time you go to the bathroom, do some stretches.
- Take a walk around the office every two hours, if you can.
- Tighten your stomach muscles while sitting at your desk.
- Fidget. Lift your legs, do chair squats, stretch your arms above your head.

Worst comes to worst, try detox tea to see if it will give you a kickstart. Some people have negative views on these teas, so do research first. Personally, I've had good experiences with them. I like Laci Le Beau Super Dieter's Tea.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #10  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

You could try a low carb approach for the next few weeks to try a speed up your weight loss?
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #11  

Height: 5'8.5"

I wear an iPod, which helps me keep "moving to the beat" a bit when I am up going to the copier or delivering stuff. There are times when I have large documents to put through the scanner -- which fortunately is in its own little room LOL. So instead of just sitting in the chair I get up and dance around, moving back and forth from the feeder to the out tray to my stack, etc. Every time I am up... or even sometimes when not... I find myself just finding extra little way to move without disrupting my work.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 164/see ticker/125

Height: 5 feet even

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozzy View Post
You could try a low carb approach for the next few weeks to try a speed up your weight loss?
This is what I would do if I were trying to drop weight for a specific event, like a wedding. BUT, I would ONLY do it, if it was worth gaining all the weight back again right after the event was over.

I would do it knowing that I was going to have a 'bounce back' later and would re-gain all my weight back, so I would have to decide if it's worth the mental strain of all of that.

I simply will never keep weight off by dropping entire food groups, I don't enjoy the benefits of weighing less enough for me to maintain a lifestyle that I don't like.

I would SO much rather eat less overall, make better decisions on a daily basis, but not have that feeling like I've destroyed my hard work, if I eat too many carbs.
Katydid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 319/307/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntress View Post
You might try checking your settings on my fitness pal. I am much heavier than you and also work at a desk job and for a 2 lb a week loss it allows only 1200 calories for sedentary. While you might not want to drop your calories that far you may need to drop another 100-150 calories to see a loss. Also make sure you are tracking every bite you put in your mouth. You don't say what you're eating in those 1500 calories but fresh foods, fruit, veggies and be sure to drink plenty of water.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding! You are undoubtedly going to be a beautiful bride no matter your weight.
And also make sure you eat back those calories burned or you will go into starvation mode big time, especially with your calories being that low - yikes!
Softykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #14  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I have a reminder on my office calendar that goes off each hour. It just says UP, but I know it means I need to stand up and stretch. Even if I don't have to use the restroom, I try to walk down the hall, just to get my body moving. Sitting for more than an hour at a time is NOT good for my body, and it's beginning to let me know that more and more! It's not true "exercise" (as in burning calories and sweating and stuff), but it keeps me from getting stiff.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #15  

Smile Train Insane or Remain the Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky8 View Post
Ahh where do i start , im so frustrated I could CRY.
I just cant seem to lose weight no matter what I do

And I am trying.
But ever since I started my Job which is working in an office 40hours a week i cant shift it what so ever.
Im sticking to 1500 calories per day via my fitness pal.
I started doing kick boxing 4 weeks ago and doing that 3 times per week ,
also do at home dvds when I can.
Even started getting the bus and train in to work as i have to walk to each stop instead of taking car.

I feel like even though im taking extra steps outside of work because im stuck at that desk for 70per cent of my day im just maintaining , its really getting me down i cant think of what else i can do as theres just not enough hours in the day to fit double work outs in. Im constantly tired with fitting everything in as it is.
Do not be frustrated , whatever you do not give up what you are doing . If you are using my fitness pal make sure you are literally logging everything because you could be taking in more extra calories than you think you are and I was guilty of this . I would also advise you to start weight lifting to build muscle , the more muscle you have the more fat you burn even while resting . This is something Im working on too , and you could start with easy things like doing counter pushups in the staff room while waiting on your coffee to be made . Walk around the office a little more , basically try and increase your activity level . Take two days out of the week to do more cardio like running or walking for at least 60 minutes daily , if you can , if not 30 minutes is fine too as long as it's high intensity.Eat smaller meals throughout the day , 6 smalls ones at least to keep your metabolism high (DO NOT skip ANY meals , your metabolism doesn't start until you eat !) and make sure they're not empty calories like chips or other junky foods . Keep some healthy snacks at your desk , like dried fruits , almonds & more negative calorie foods (foods that your body works harder to burn which means burning more calories) . Even walking for 20 minutes on your lunch break would be good exercise , sign up for boot camp if you have to , anything to get your activity levels higher . Increase your fruit and vegetable intake , watch out to not eat many starchy vegetables though and watch out for certain fruits with high sugar content . Berries are very good for you because they're high in antioxidents , drinking more water helps flush out toxins drink at least 8 glasses per day . And lastly Increase your fiber intake to flush out more toxins . Looking lean is 80 % nutrition , 20% Gym
SaraBobera is offline   Reply With Quote