Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-10-2013, 10:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/152/120

Height: 5'2"

Default Getting active after surgery

Hi there,
I'm new here, still learning my way around. I have noticed that I have been putting on weight over the last several years. Always telling myself that I would be able to take it off. After i finished college and started working (a sit down job) I noticed I went up a pant size every year.
I just recently had a hysterectomy. I've been laying on the couch for almost 5 weeks, and although I'm not sure I've gained weight, I know I've gained inches. I went to a thrift store to buy pants (as i now have none) and left without pants and pretty depressed.
My doctor just cleared me for light exercise. I bought an eliptical and a stationary bike to get me started. I can do 10 minutes before I start feeling pulling in my stomache and stop. Bought new track pants Started reading a book as I use the bike so I'm not staring at the display, when I feel the pulling I stop, definitely am not pushing myself, scared of hurting myself. But, feeling discouraged, somehow I thought it would be easier. Not sure how I lost whatever muscletone I did have in a month.
Glad I found this site.
NiagaraGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #2  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Surgery is tough to recover from, but just give yourself time. If all you can do right now is 10 minutes, then don't feel badly, just keep doing your 10 minutes. Can you try to do that twice a day? After a few days, you should be able to keep adding another few minutes, as your body continues to heal and you rebuild your stamina.

Good luck and hope you feel all better soon!
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8

I think it's great that you are listening to your body and stopping. What about longer low intensity walks for now? An elliptical requires you to suppor yourself with the core in a way that walking doesnt require quite as much of.
mandypandy2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #4  

Hi Niagaragirl. I am facing a hysterectomy in the next year or so (hoping to have a baby before that) and I am concerned about the exercise part too. I'm in such a good place right now, exercising 45-60mins a day and consistency going down in my weight. Please be very careful that you don't hurt yourself, you don't want to do any damage even though you have 5 1/2 weeks behind you.

Did your doctor give you an exercise schedule of some sort or are you able to get to a nutritionist under your insurance? Exercise is important but eating healthy too will be a great help in keeping your weight where you want it.

I wish you lots of luck. I'm not looking forward to this surgery but at least if I can do it with a baby in my arms, it will all be worth it.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #5  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

First off, 10 minutes on the elliptical is amazing!!! When I first started, I could barely do 5 minutes, lol! Now, I can do about an hour and that is after 3 months.

I agree with April about building up to it and giving yourself time especially after surgery. Don't push yourself too hard.

Sending you awesome heals and strength.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 160/152/120

Height: 5'2"

Thanks ladies. Elvislover, just be very sure to have lots of help after surgery, as you won't be able to lift anything, even a small baby, for the first couple of weeks. I was surprised at exhausted I was. The doctor recommended 2 - 20 minute walks daily by 2 weeks, so I did that. Still doing some walking. I set my machine to the lowest resistence available to make it easier to start.
I'm excited that I'm not in the pain I was before the hysterectomy, so exercising doesn't feel as daunting. When I saw my doctor this week he said to slowly increase activities, I am able to lift a 10 lb bag of potatos now, for the first month my husband got groceries, but I still can't lift my son, who's about 50 lbs. I think a lot of mini goals are in order.
NiagaraGrl is offline   Reply With Quote