Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

Talking How have you amazed yourself, and others?

For many years, as I gained more & more weight - I stopped doing things I previously enjoyed. I stopped seeing friends. I avoided what little family I had left. I stopped traveling. I didn't care if I advanced in my career. I even stopped reading! Even when I could muster the energy to do anything, I rarely enjoyed it. I was embarrassed of my weight and I was in physical pain.

Fast-forward to me 81 lbs lighter and MUCH happier!

In addition to improving every single category of my life (amazing!) - I also did something I never thought in million years I'd ever do. Last fall, as an anniversary gift for my DH, I purchased scuba certification courses and we are doing our open water dives in 4 weeks! We even changed our (now annual) travel plans to a Caribbean cruise so we could go diving more.

Me...traveling again...healthy weight...working out...enjoying life...scuba-certified and WILLINGLY wearing a wetsuit! WHA? I am amazed!!!!

What about you? What amazes you about yourself through all of this?
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #2  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Congrats on your loss!

I haven't lost a significant amount, so I have yet to amaze myself lol
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

CONGRATS...>This is so amazing and encouraging. I have a cruise planned in the fall...NEVER would've gone at my previous weight. Maybe I'll try something new like scuba diving!!!!!!!!!!

WAYS I AMAZED MYSELF:

1) Declined the buttery croissant and fried breakfast potatoes at a business meeting this morning. Still amazes me.

2) Pulled myself out of bed and went to the gym last night to run. I remember when I did that for ice cream

Last edited by free1; 01-16-2013 at 02:02 PM.
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

My husband had always been into sailing but pretty much gave it up as it became apparent that my size made it really hard for me to participate. When I lost the weight, I signed up for sailing lessons on San Francisco Bay. Now we sail all the time and I run around that boat like it's nothing. When it's warm, I'm doing it in a bikini top and shorts, and look pretty decent doing it.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:03 PM   #5  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Congratulations!

I will say, though, that although I am less able to do things heavy (high weight of 235), I weighed about that when I did a Discover SCUBA. I've snorkled, I've worn a swimsuit, I've whitewater rafted. Even heavy, I refuse to not live my life.

We've taken several cruises with me at my high weight, and although I wish I looked thinner in the pictures, I've still had a fantastic time. We went tubing in a river, we climbed a waterfall, we walked around runes, we went jet skiing.

We went to Japan with me this heavy, and we had a fantastic time.

I think it's amazing that some of you have taken and kept off weight--I intend to someday be a maintainer instead of a "starting again". But I'd encourage any of us who haven't lost weight to go out and do whatever you're physically able to do--and even push yourself a little--it's worth it.
bethFromDayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #6  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I think I'm amazed with myself the determination I have found. Despite injuries, despite setbacks, I really have made this a lifetime thing.

Sure, I'm up some pounds, but I still kept my fitness up and now I'm working the pounds back down. I haven't given up and I don't think I ever will - that surprised me and I think those around me to see that you CAN keep weight off long term.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #7  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Last year at this time I was gearing up for some major surgery that had me sad and depressed (totally unrelated to weight). The two years leading up to it were very stressful and I put on 40 pounds and was at my highest weight ever. After the surgery I couldn't tell anymore - what issues were weight related and what issues were recovery related?

My 47th birthday was 10 weeks after the surgery, and I told myself that when I turned 48 I wanted to look back and be able to say, "47 was the year I turned things around and got my health back."

I turn 48 in another 3 months and I will totally be able to say "47 was the year I turned things around and got my health back." I'm amazed. Thrilled. Truly.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #8  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I'm amazed that I even got out of the gate on this one. There have been so many things in my life that I never followed through on or even started. I never thought I'd be able to quit drinking soda. I lived on coca cola for years, but I did. I never thought I'd be able to give up bread and pasta. I did. Mostly, I never thought I could lose any weight. I have!

I'm amazed every day of this! I sat with my legs crossed the other day. Even in high school I couldn't do that. I can run up my steps. I can see my eyes because they're not hidden behind fat cheeks. I'm amazed at how positive my outlook has become and how much better my mental state is. I amazed at how order in my body has inspired order in my life.

Mostly, I am awed that I have kept this up for over 5 months, adding more exercise, changing my habits and IMPROVING all along the way.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 230/204/140

Height: 5'

I'm amazed that I finally made this commitment and that I have no plans of stopping any time soon! I'm glad I am addicted to 3FC, because it keeps me interested and keeps me motivated. It's easier to lose weight when you can make it a priority.
Lindsayanne716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #10  

S/C/G: size24W/size12/size10

Height: 5'5"

I, too, am amazed at my progress thus far. Not just the weight, but my change in perspective about life. It amazes me how much difference it makes to live in the Now and stay completely conscious of myself. Staying aware overall helps me in every aspect of my life...including my weight. I can no longer turn a blind eye to my behaviors. Being able to run, jump, hop, tie my shoes, look like I want to look in clothing, and being the attractive woman that was hiding under the fat also amazes me. I can't believe I've done it/am doing it. It's definitely a great feeling.
angieand2girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 183/166/135

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunula View Post
For many years, as I gained more & more weight - I stopped doing things I previously enjoyed. I stopped seeing friends. I avoided what little family I had left. I stopped traveling. I didn't care if I advanced in my career. I even stopped reading! Even when I could muster the energy to do anything, I rarely enjoyed it. I was embarrassed of my weight and I was in physical pain.

Fast-forward to me 81 lbs lighter and MUCH happier!

In addition to improving every single category of my life (amazing!) - I also did something I never thought in million years I'd ever do. Last fall, as an anniversary gift for my DH, I purchased scuba certification courses and we are doing our open water dives in 4 weeks! We even changed our (now annual) travel plans to a Caribbean cruise so we could go diving more.

Me...traveling again...healthy weight...working out...enjoying life...scuba-certified and WILLINGLY wearing a wetsuit! WHA? I am amazed!!!!

What about you? What amazes you about yourself through all of this?
I TOTALLY understand this. I haven't done anything yet that amazed my own self, BUT one of my goals is to be able to try paddle boarding - this will require shorts and maybe even (my dream goal) a bikini top! Once I do that I will be able to say I amazed myself!

I have stopped doing anything like going out to clubs, traveling, anything sporty, etc., so am really looking forward to doing some of that again. I wish I could be one of those people who live my life regardless, unfortunately, I'm just not there yet...
BreathingSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #12  
Mistress Of My Destiny

S/C/G: 355/219/159

Height: 5ft 5.5

I have been massively overweight all of my life, at my biggest of 355lbs I could only walk a few steps.
I had to crawl up the stairs on hands and knees because I physically couldn't stand and climb at the same time.
Now 135lbs lighter, I exercise every day, I have walked 11 miles just for fun, climbed a 30 foot cliff. run a 5k race for life in 56 minutes...yeah not the best race pace, but from someone who has never run in her life it was a massive achievement. I have taken up Tang Soo Do, a martial art
but my biggest achievement and the one I am the proudest of so far is in September last year to raise funds for macmillan cancer support organisation, I completed a solo 16 hour non stop gymathon...I was constantly exercising for the full 16 hours no stops or breaks at all for the whole 16 hours I was constantly moving...even on the bathroom breaks I had to keep tapping the walls of the cubicle so that my trainer could hear I was still moving...it took me 12 months to train for it...I even finished the last 5 minutes sprinting on the treadmill...I thought after 16 hours I would have been exhausted, but the adrenalin was pumping and I was on a high.
I managed to raise £1000 for macmillan....I was so proud of myself and I have to say to date that has been the one thing that has amazed me.

I am looking for a fund raising challenge for this year, but How do I top that one

Last edited by Posy; 01-19-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Posy is offline   Reply With Quote