Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #1  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Default Oh curses to you cake batter! Why do I always succumb to it?

I don't make specialty cakes often, but I do once in awhile. Good thing it's once in awhile as I simply cannot stay out of it! I had extra batter for the 11x15 cake I was making last night. Instead of tossing it, what did I do? I ate it of course! That was about two good cupcakes worth of it. Maybe three? EEK!

Then, I got into the frosting a bit. Man, I just undid about 3 days of work right there with those nibbles.

I'm pathetic! I am proud of myself though for what I did this morning. This morning I tossed out all the remaining homemade chocolate icing. Woohoo! And I think from now on when/if I make a cake, I need to do it in the MORNING when I'm fresh. A sleepy Melissa makes worse decisions. That is for sure! I was up until 1:30 making this cake (started at 10:30).

Well, let me at least show you the cake while I bemoan the calories I consumed. It was for a friend's retirement from the CIA.

berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Pretty! I suggest chewing gum while you bake. You wouldn't want to nibble on batter with gum in your mouth.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:51 PM   #3  

Cake is my weakness too so I can see how it happened. 2- 3 homemade cupcakes isn't that bad, better than commercial ones!

But can I say----what a gorgeous cake!!! I honestly thought it was from a bakery (I looked at the pic before reading the thread)! You have such skill and patience!!

I wish you were my friend so you could make me a gorgeous cake. Wait...maybe I don't! I'll bet it tastes even better than it looks! You are a nice friend.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

Mmmmm.....cake batter! Yummo! I'm a batter lover myself! And home made chocolate icing? Oh yes...I just gained 10 pounds THINKING about it! LOL!!

That cake is fantastic! So pretty!

The gum idea sounds like a winner. I sure wouldn't want to eat anything with gum in my mouth! Ugh!!

Thanks for sharing the pic, and yes! Bake in the morning...with gum!
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #5  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
Pretty! I suggest chewing gum while you bake. You wouldn't want to nibble on batter with gum in your mouth.

That might help for awhile, but I would take it out, grab the batter, and then go back to the gum or throw it out to get to the batter. But I will try it.

Good thing I don't have another cake for a LONG time and that I didn't ever going into this as a business. My nerves couldn't take it (as I'm always so nervous it won't turn out) and my waistline really couldn't take it.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #6  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenWolf View Post
Mmmmm.....cake batter! Yummo! I'm a batter lover myself! And home made chocolate icing? Oh yes...I just gained 10 pounds THINKING about it! LOL!!

That cake is fantastic! So pretty!

The gum idea sounds like a winner. I sure wouldn't want to eat anything with gum in my mouth! Ugh!!

Thanks for sharing the pic, and yes! Bake in the morning...with gum!
I'll try the gum trick, but I think better would be to move baking time to mornings when I am rested! (And not to do it often!)

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 01-29-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #7  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
Cake is my weakness too so I can see how it happened. 2- 3 homemade cupcakes isn't that bad, better than commercial ones!

But can I say----what a gorgeous cake!!! I honestly thought it was from a bakery (I looked at the pic before reading the thread)! You have such skill and patience!!

I wish you were my friend so you could make me a gorgeous cake. Wait...maybe I don't! I'll bet it tastes even better than it looks! You are a nice friend.
Ah, thank you. This was actually a charity auction item. our organization always does a silent auction and I always offer up a cake or two. So, he was one of the winning bidders. So, he got a special cake. I got to do something nice for a friend, and the money/profits went to a charitable cause. Win-win-win. The only lose was that I can't control myself with batters and doughs! A baked cake is no problem!
Old 01-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #8  
Warrior Princess

Well, they say you really shouldn't injest raw batter since there's a risk of salmonella from the raw eggs and Ecoli. I know that probably won't stop most people since we've been eating raw cake batter since the beginning of time but it's something to think about.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 350/296/125

Height: 177cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by novangel View Post
Well, they say you really shouldn't injest raw batter since there's a risk of salmonella from the raw eggs and Ecoli. I know that probably won't stop most people since we've been eating raw cake batter since the beginning of time but it's something to think about.
Who's "they"?
Skellig19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #10  
Warrior Princess

The FDA:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...41524429,d.aWM
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #11  

Melissa, I just looked at your cake again on my laptop (I was on my phone earlier when I replied).

Did you seriously draw and write all of the decor on that cake?!?!
Old 01-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 350/296/125

Height: 177cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by novangel View Post
Cheers. I like sources to back up claims.
For me the rate of contamination of salmonella in eggs and E. Coli in flour is a low enough percentage that I am less bothered by consuming raw dough/batter than by driving my car.

On topic though, I chew gum or snack on salty popcorn so my brain is in "savoury, salt" mode rather than "gorge on delicious sugar/salmonella/e. coli" mode.
Skellig19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #13  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skellig19 View Post
Cheers. I like sources to back up claims.
For me the rate of contamination of salmonella in eggs and E. Coli in flour is a low enough percentage that I am less bothered by consuming raw dough/batter than by driving my car.

On topic though, I chew gum or snack on salty popcorn so my brain is in "savoury, salt" mode rather than "gorge on delicious sugar/salmonella/e. coli" mode.
Well, it's not the flour, it's the eggs. But yes... I know of the risk. My brain doesn't care. Maybe if I actually GOT poisoned, I would.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #14  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
Melissa, I just looked at your cake again on my laptop (I was on my phone earlier when I replied).

Did you seriously draw and write all of the decor on that cake?!?!
Yes, but not free-hand.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
Yes, but not free-hand.
I would have been drinking alcohol lol trying to do that (free-hand or not), not eating cupcakes! That cake looks amazing big on my monitor, I thought it looked great on my phone screen. You surely are talented!