Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #1  
Dropweight Diva

S/C/G: 245/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Losing weight while doing poorly?

It has been a little while since I have been around, but I have been a little confused the past couple weeks.

I am a new teacher, and this year, since I did drama in high school, I was asked to coach our schools one-act play team. It's been veeeerrry busy, but I made a promise to myself to not beat myself up too much about being focused on weight loss at this time. I am one of those people who can only truly focus on very few things at a time, and my mind seems to become consumed with those few things so much that any addition really stresses me out.

Anyway, I had to give up zumba, because the only time kids could practice was right during that time. I have tried to find time to walk and do manual labor (it's wood cutting and hauling time around here), but I have tried to be gentle with myself as well as far as not pushing myself when my mind is telling me to be still. I have tried to keep myself in reason with my eating, but I have indulged much more than I normally would. At times, it has been so busy that I have nearly forgotten to eat, and I have not made good decisions in the heat of the moment.

The only thing that is weird is that I am still losing weight, and it seems to be at a quicker pace than before. I've gone so far as to check whether the battery in my scale is messed up, because it didn't make sense. Has anyone experienced this before? The only thing I can think of is it may have something to do with my hormones/blood sugar. I have PCOS and am insulin resistant. Typically at around this weight, my hormones and sugar begin to even out, but I haven't had any tests to confirm this at this point. Has anyone else experienced something like this? I don't want to question it, but it makes me curious. Why, when I am really trying, do I lose at a snail's pace compared to now?

Last edited by Song of Surly; 11-07-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Song of Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Weight loss, in my experience doesn't make sense. I have lost when I was sure I would gain and I have gained when I was sure I would lose.
I do know that if I binge or eat way over my calorie allotment I do not see a gain the next day it may be 2 or 3 days before it shows on the scale.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #3  
waisting away

S/C/G: Too Much/Getting There/Healthy

Height: 5' 8"

I'm in a sort of similar situation. I am not exercising nearly as much as I was before. I actually am working out very little. I have stayed on top of my diet. I too am losing at a much quicker pace than before.
gatorgirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 286/247/150

Height: 5-4

When you exercise you are not only building muscle but you are also retaining small amounts of water as the sore muscle get inflamed a little bit. Both will add up and make it appear like you are not losing weight as fast. Then when you STOP exercising you still have the existing muscle to feed but your aren't building more and the swelling goes down and you lose water weight.

Remember is isn't really that weight we want to lose... its the fat.

Last edited by drixnot; 11-07-2012 at 11:30 AM.
drixnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #5  

Height: 5'2"

i recently had my wisdom teeth out and i thought for sure that i would gain since i'd be eating loads of jello, ice cream pops, pudding and sitting on the couch all day.

nope, i actually had a big whoosh in weight loss.

Last edited by valalltogether; 11-07-2012 at 11:46 AM.
valalltogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #6  
Dropweight Diva

S/C/G: 245/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

That makes a lot of sense drixnot. I was actually worried some of it may be a loss of muscle mass.
Song of Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #7  
Maintaining since 2013

S/C/G: Sz 20/Sz 8/Maintain

Height: 5'11

Quote:
Originally Posted by drixnot View Post
When you exercise you are not only building muscle but you are also retaining small amounts of water as the sore muscle get inflamed a little bit. Both will add up and make it appear like you are not losing weight as fast. Then when you STOP exercising you still have the existing muscle to feed but your aren't building more and the swelling goes down and you lose water weight.

Remember is isn't really that weight we want to lose... its the fat.
I think this is a perfect explanation!
SunnySide99 is offline   Reply With Quote