Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-10-2012, 11:22 PM   #1  
WiniPooh

S/C/G: 196/191/149

Height: 176

Default Weight loss Yoyo, PCOS and confused

In 2006, I hit my peak touching the 200 marker and that completely set me off into a depression mode. After a discussion with my doc, I decided maybe its high time to drop this weight and change my lifestyle up. I then kick started myself onto a very stringent routine - liquid diet (3 times a week), semi solid (2 times a week) and Solid diet (2 times a week), 90 minutes of working out at the gym and got my weight down to 140kgs over a period of 4 months. It was a crazy weight loss, but I loved the effects.

By early 2007,I started to travel big time, marriage happened and by 2011, my weight was back to 198. While the past exists, tried that and nothing worked - not the diet, not the exercise, nothing. So I went to a doc and checked in late 2011, and was told I had PCOS. Had the medication (metaformin) for 6 months, 60 minutes exercise, cut back on the carbs and by Oct 2012, I saw no change in the weight, continued hair fall but the PCOS disappeared.

I am totally confused on how to fix my weight issue, because now I am starring at the weighing machine and I fear that if I hit the 200 mark again, I might head into depression. Any suggestions how to handle this situation???
WiniPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

Are you sure that you don't have PCOS? How do you know? If you do (or did? as its not really something that can go away), then I really recommend trying a low carb diet. It works especially well for people with PCOS.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:49 PM   #3  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

What Rubidoux said. A low carb approach is good for many folks, especially those displaying symptoms of insulin resistance, which is extremely common in folks showing central body obesity or the standard symptoms of PCOS (the same hormonal issues that exacerbate PCOS greatly affects fat metabolism/insulin regulation, as well).
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:11 AM   #4  

S/C/G: size 20/14/10

Height: 5' 7"

In my experience with PCOS, there really isn't a cure; it is more of a managing the symptoms and improvement type of thing. It sounds like you are still struggling with some of the symptoms even if your insulin or blood tests have improved. The best way I have found to minimize PCOS issues personally is to eat lower carb (especially avoiding/limiting the starchy whites....sugar, bread, flour, pasta, rice, potatoes. etc.) Exercise, Super B complex vitamins and pro/prebiotics are things that I believe have helped me, also.
mariposssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:59 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 210/185/137

Height: 5'8"

Can I ask what kind of exercise you're doing? I have PCOS too. Intense exercise releases greater amounts of HGH (growth hormone) and growth hormone actually inhibits how much insulin can bind to your cells. I found it really helped resensitize me to insulin.
gymrat05 is offline   Reply With Quote