Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-21-2012, 07:39 AM   #1  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Default Less Daylight... Less Motivation...?

These last few weeks I've noticed that my motivation when I wake up in the morning just isn't really there... which then seems to set the tone for the rest of day... and today it really hit me how much I hate to get up in the dark and then come home in the dark...

Because of my schedule exercising in the morning is my best option, before everything else in life gets in my way, but I'm just finding that hopping on a treadmill when it's still pitch black out does not come naturally to me for some reason...

Now I've noticed that quite a few people from Alaska post here, so it occurred to me that you might have some special insight since you deal with this more so than most, but please everybody feel free to shed some light on the subject as well... (sorry for the pun so early in the morning)

So since moving to the southern hemisphere unfortunately isn't really an option for me right now... I thought I'd look here to see how you all deal with it....
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #2  
Just Keep on Running

S/C/G: 178/142.6/120

Height: 5'6.5

Yeah, I'm going through the same thing right now.

Since the start of the summer, I worked out in the summer heat and shine. I remember countless days running and it still being bright at 8:00pm. Summer night runs were very enjoyable too.

Now that its fall, not only has there been "less sunlight" but the temperature has changed. I opened a gym membership because of the cold temperatures. I usually leave for the gym at night from anywhere from 10pm-12am, so it can be tough mentally walking into the gym at night and in the cold. I realized a few days ago that for me to reach my goal I'm going to have to work well into the winter months. The only thing right now that keeps me going is that realizing this is something I just have to do. Reaching my ultimate goal is something I've wanted for about 10 years now. So yeah, that seems to be the only motivation I have at the moment.

limited sunlight & cold temperatures is unnatural to anyone.
energie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:01 AM   #3  
Dedicated Yogi

S/C/G: 269/188/160

Height: 5'8 1/2 :)

why not work out in a warm environment?

why not rememeber how NICE it feels to be in the bright lights at the gym? how awesome it feels when cars driving by you in the cold, dark, night as you run are looking at you- and giving you respect for having the determination to do this?

for me? with body weight changes, i have become ALWAYS cold. so walking into the hot studio at night feels...toasty..like i can finally warm up so i look forward.

i wouldn't say, associate a reward with actually doing it, but create a positive association. if you're a machiene user (cardio), buy a magazine once a week or so? and ONLY read it at the gym?
stimkovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #4  

I live in Sweden. We have the midnight sun in June, but now in the fall and winter... not much sun. I am used to it, but I don't like it. Everyone is naturally more tired and indoors much more, including me. I try to have cozy evenings and drink more hot tea, give into those fall and winter feelings. However, I also have my workout goals and don't miss a beat b/c of the weather. Just make yourself do it- don't even think about it. You need it, so do it! Do you have to do morning workouts? Can you do a workout in the evening or at lunch time?
kelleyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 323/311/160

Height: 5'6"

I'm doing a lot of indoor workouts now, because of the weather (we live in Northern Michigan) and also the baby. One thing I've been doing to motivate me is putting on my favorite movie and walking in place. Whenever I want to stop walking I make myself pause the movie so I can only walk while it's on. I can do it during the day or night, and I'm still walking fast enough to break a sweat and start feeling out of breath (I tried to talk on the phone while doing it today and it was not easy). I set a metronome quietly in the background at 152bpm to keep my pace.
Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 242/219/140

Height: 5'10"

I was literally about to post something like this. I am not looking forward to the dreary dark by 4pm days!

3FC will help out a bunch though. Bestest forums ever
BreakingUpWith90lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:29 AM   #7  
Carrots? Meh...

Height: 5'6

Like kelleyb, I live in a place where the summer days are endlessly long, but winter days have about five hours of daylight. My main exercise is walking and I do it no matter what the weather is like or how much light there is. I walk in the evenings (around 7 PM).

A few things that help me... I have a walking buddy - my hubby. Even if one of us is feeling lazy, the other one will kick us in gear; also, it's fun to walk with someone else. We walk on a trail that runs on a high bank near the sea, so the view is amazing. During darker months we wear headlamps and reflective vests and when the snow gets icy, we strap "cat claws" on our boots.

For us, walking is both an exercise and a nice way to relax from the daily noise.
Silly Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I joined curves, and the financial investment seems to be helping to force me to go everyday. So far, so good!
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #9  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

I like to exercise in the early morning as in 5:15ish but it comes rather naturally for me as I'm an early bird. When it's light earlier in the morning I like to run with my dog. Sadly, that ended about 3-4 weeks ago. I'm kind of a chicken as I'm afraid I'll trip while running in the dark. I don't like running, or even exercising, in the evenings, other than some light yoga, because I'm tired. Most likely because I'm up so early. I'm back on my recumbent bike for the duration (until spring) where I read, listen to podcasts or music, play solitaire on my itouch--my version of distracted exercise.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #10  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Thanks everyone for sharing your experience... has anyone here tried one of those "light boxes" for your desk? I almost bought one a few years ago... but I just didn't think I needed it... I don't think I have SAD or anything like that... but maybe that might help...? I'd be curious to hear if anybody here has any experience with them that they like to share...

On another note... I came across a few articles on how taking COLD SHOWERS helped people... (I know it sounds a bit crazy... but I thought why not?) So I tried it this morning.... and I think it actually helped... Now I only lasted about a minute, but it was long enough to take my breath away... definitely a shock to my system.... and definitely woke me up, for sure... Not sure if it's something I'll stick with, but I do feel like I have more energy (maybe it's purely psychological... who knows?)

So cold showers first thing in the morning and maybe a light box for my desk... doesn't sound like much of a plan does it? Well, I guess it's a start...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:07 AM   #11  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

My mom has a light box and she feels that it helps. One of my co-workers has one at her desk and man that sucker is bright! A couple of years ago, we swapped out some light bulbs for full spectrum florescent bulbs in our house that people frequently "park" like the computer desk, the kitchen table, the tv room, you get the point. DH felt that maybe he was struggling with SAD and it seemed like a quick and easy fix. DH's first comment was "I think I need sunglasses and sunscreen!" Did it help--who knows but it didn't hurt either. Regarding the cold shower--I don't know if I could tolerate that because I'm always cold to begin with. Maybe a blast of cold at the end of the shower?
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #12  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i'm up here in alaska....although i dont know if i have much advice...the darkness and cold never bothered me, probably because i grew up here...it's just been natural all my life to do things when it's dark most of the time and also when it's light most of the time

i grew up in Interior Alaska, where it's dark most of the winter days and light most of the summer days, where winter is 60 below zero and summer is about 90 degrees...even down here in Juneau, in the winter it's light about 8:30 a.m. and dark around 3:30 p.m.....and i think it doesnt bother me because i've grown up like that

i do pay for a gym membership though because i dont like being outside in the winter....really, being outside at any time of the year aggravates my asthma and allergies....i've often wished that i was one of those people who enjoyed outdoor sports in the winter because we live in an amazing landscape here! trails, ski areas, right on the coast etc....but i just dont like being cold and damp outside LOL
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:29 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 242/219/140

Height: 5'10"

My dad swears by his light box. I might even buy one when the days get worse. He uses his every day in the fall/winter and works out 6x/week. I'm not sure if he's just amazingly motivated or the light box is doing him wonders. Either way, I think I'm going to invest in one. I think that everyone has SAD to some extent. Brain chemistry does change with amount of time there is dark/light waves.
BreakingUpWith90lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #14  
Becoming A Better Me

i could just hibernate thru winter n b content doing just that! i do have to up my prozac during winter months cuz my mood gets as cold, dreary n dark as winter. this winter is actually my 1st since starting my new lifestyle change n gotta admit im a little worried about being able to cope!
dangerouscurvesahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #15  

Never tried a light box, we usually travel during the winter to somewhere warm for about 2 weeks. It does wonders to get my energy back.

By all means, try a light box.

Good luck!

Last edited by kelleyb; 09-22-2012 at 05:07 PM.
kelleyb is offline   Reply With Quote