Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-31-2012, 01:11 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6

Default close yet far

Do you guys ever feel this way? I feel like I had more hope 20 lbs ago then now.. even though I look small and weigh so little, I constantly look flabby all the time.
I think this is a serious case of skinny fat going on with me. I know I just need more muscle but its so much harder for me because I dont know what I'm doing, how I should be doing it, what intensity, how often, blah blah. Losing weight was easy, I ran and ate less.. noW? no clue.

Either way, I feel completely lost and so far from my goal.. i'm proud with my progress but still feel so completely far from my goal.
luckystreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:59 PM   #2  

Height: 5'5"

Do I get to be the first one to suggest weight lifting? I started out just reading websites on body building, but thanks to suggestions on 3fc, I bought a New Rules of Lifting book. YouTubed exercises if I was unsure, asked a testosterone boy in the gym if I continued to have questions. Skinny fat is WAY better than just fat. Toned is even better. Way to progress to your goal!
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:32 PM   #3  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

YES to what LaurieDawn said! Have you checked out the Feather Weight-Lifters thread? Those ladies are truly inspirational!! The New Rules of Lifting for Women gives you a great plan for starting to lift. I started it a few months ago and then had to discontinue due to an injury. My plan is to start lifting "for real" next month. I really liked having the structure of planned workouts.

I think you are in a place similar to where I am - it seems like I should be fine at 5'6" and ~137 lbs, but it is unbelievable how much flab I have in the belly and hips in particular. I have worked so hard to lose the pounds that I have and I feel like I can't even appreciate my success, I just focus on the muffin top and saddlebags

Buuuuuut my inspiration is that I can't wait to post before and after photos

to - you go girl!
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Well Lucky, I relate. Just discovered the other day that my waist measurement is 2" LARGER than last time I was at this weight, a few years ago. Just shows that the scale is not that important sometimes.

Yep, Skinny Fat is here. Gotta get to the weights.
Mountain Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #5  
Fitter, Happier, Awesomer

S/C/G: 168/maintaining 115-120

Height: 5' 6"

I agree with weight lifting, NROL4W, etc etc.

I will also say this: once you're small, assuming that you're losing weight with some attention to retaining muscle, the last pounds make a HUGE difference. I was discouraged at 132 lbs myself, but at ~120 now, every pound is noticeable. My grabbable flab is now down to pinchable flab. I think I finally understand that stereotypical "skinny-girl whine" (hypothetical tiny girl sez: "I've gained two pounds-- I'm so fat!!"); at this level of leanness, a little bit really is obvious!

I recently made a post with pictures of myself around 132 and 121:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4428791-post4.html
And yes, heavy weight training was at work there.
sumire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:45 PM   #6  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

sumire and the other ladies have it right. Pick up some weights! You won't be sorry I also like the "skinny girl whine." I totally understand those chicks now, because it's really true when you're tiny...you can feel extra weight, even if it isn't fat!

I didn't use a program when I started, but I took a weight training class which really helped introduce me to the concept. I took that knowledge and ran with it a year ago and started lifting heavier. http://www.nerdfitness.com/ has been a great resource for me (and they have videos) and has allowed me to design my own weight training routines which leave me sore for the next few days, LOL.

A little tidbit about me: I gained about five pounds (I was 107, got to 112) which at 5'3" and that light is enough to push into the next dress size. My clothes not only still fit—they fit better and I can wear more at the smaller end of my size range.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:59 PM   #7  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Lift! I did the New Rules of Lifting for Women and have moved on to the New Rules of Lifting for Life.

The womens book is great and a great starting place, Stage 7 was tough, but I did it. My weight did not change over the 7 months it took me to get thru it, but I lost 6 inches!

The New Rules of Lifting for Life is much more customizable, I'm doing it now and love it!

Lifting is so empowering! Even if you start out with little weights, you'd be surprised what you can do if you stick with it!

I'm now doing 165# dead lifts, 40# one armed dumb bell rows, lat pulldowns at 100#'s x 10 reps and so on!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:04 AM   #8  

Height: 5'6

Gah thanks guys. Im going to try and use the resources you guys left me.

Sumire, that makes a HUGE difference wow... im so ready to finish this once and for all you have no idea.

Thank you guys for motivating me, esp when i felt like it was over.
luckystreak is offline   Reply With Quote