Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: See tracker :3

Height: 5'5

Default Is a goal of 40 pounds in 4-ish months setting myself up to fail?

Well my 20th birthday is November 1st :] When I first started working out I lost 10 pounds the first month and 8 the next. Haven't kept track much since then, but I hear the smaller you get the less weight you lose.

Does anyone think the goal of 40 pounds by Nov. 1st is setting myself up for failure? I do that sometimes without any intention of it.

If you think it's unreasonable, what do you think a more reasonable goal might be?

I'm very number oriented, that might be my downfall
DandelionCupcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 247/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4

I don't think its unreasonable when I first started losing I lost 17 in 6 weeks... I've been going for a lil over 3 months and I've lost 31 lbs it's definitely do able if you're diligent
Thedollylala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

At your stats, yes. You're looking at over 2.5lbs per week which is difficult to keep up even for people who would be 100lbs heavier than you. I would just stick with whatever you are doing (because you are doing awesome) and promise yourself a nice birthday dress in X size at the end.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedollylala View Post
I don't think its unreasonable when I first started losing I lost 17 in 6 weeks... I've been going for a lil over 3 months and I've lost 31 lbs it's definitely do able if you're diligent
Congrats on your loss :3 I dunno if this is weird, but you're very pretty!
I think I'll stick to this goal, then, and if I don't make it I'll try not to be hard on myself- which is a lesson by itself So either way, I win, right?
Old 06-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post
At your stats, yes. You're looking at over 2.5lbs per week which is difficult to keep up even for people who would be 100lbs heavier than you. I would just stick with whatever you are doing (because you are doing awesome) and promise yourself a nice birthday dress in X size at the end.
<3 Thank you. It's so tough because I'm sort of obsessed with numbers, but 2.5 per week is insane when I really think about it. Maybe I'll promise myself to concentrate, and set some goals that aren't number oriented. Hmm
Old 06-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #6  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

It might be a bit much. Your best bet is to keep losing--you'll get there eventually
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 257/257/157

Height: 5'7"

Not necessarily unreasonable, but the closer you get to your goal, the slower the weight will come off...maybe just set a goal of following your plan (diet and exercise) everyday until Nov 1, rather than a set amount of pounds lost.
Good luck! You're doing great
PinkLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I like numbers, too. And I liked a specific goal on a weekly basis. Why not try percentages, as this might be a goal you can attain. Try for 1% per week. I think that is easily doable for someone who is determined to succeed.

Accepting whatever amount you lose is a big thing. You're doing a great job, so just keep doing what works and know you'll get to goal eventually.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandelionCupcakes View Post
Does anyone think the goal of 40 pounds by Nov. 1st is setting myself up for failure?
When I was your age I was able to lose 10 pounds a month by eating 1,500 calories per day, so I don't think your goal is unreasonable -- just ambitious. Forty years later I lose 5-6 pounds a month on this eating plan, which is still fine by me.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 247/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandelionCupcakes View Post
Congrats on your loss :3 I dunno if this is weird, but you're very pretty!
I think I'll stick to this goal, then, and if I don't make it I'll try not to be hard on myself- which is a lesson by itself So either way, I win, right?
It's better to push yourself and always push...for example I was at the gym today and my old trainer walked pass me while I was doing a push up on a weight lifting bar... They were difficult but do able, he came over and lowered it, I called him evil and I did 20 and was exhausted, but I felt better after that. So always push yourself!

And no it's not weird, thankyou for the compliment, you're very pretty as well!!
Thedollylala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

time-relevant weight loss goals usually sabotage me. If I start falling "behind schedule" I am tempted to try crazy, unsustainable, and even dangerous things to try to "catch up."

Also, if I would fall short (even by a pound or two) I would tend to focus on the two pound failure rather than the 38 lbs of success.

For me, a better strategy was to decide what I was willing to do, to lose weight. I'd make a list - the calorie target, the exercise schedule... and I'd do my best to stick to plan, and then the weight loss (whatever it would be) was the reward for sticking to plan.

I think weight loss makes a very poor goal, because we're not entirely in control of it. You can do everything right, and still not see a weight loss, or at least not the weight loss you expected.

Another benefit of taking weight loss off the goal-table, is that there's no reason to get upset if the weight doesn't come off as fast as you'd like. If the weight isn't coming off or isn't coming off as rapidly as you'ld like, you can adjust your efforts without seeing it as failure. If you did your job (staying on plan) or even just made fewer off-plan mistakes than last week, you're succeeding even if the scale isn't yet confirming that success.

If you can set time-based goals witout any of the pitfalls, then go ahead, but if falling short will be traumatic, consider setting goals that are action-based rather than result-based (which tend to be more effective for most people).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #12  

Quote:
time-relevant weight loss goals usually sabotage me. If I start falling "behind schedule" I am tempted to try crazy, unsustainable, and even dangerous things to try to "catch up."

Also, if I would fall short (even by a pound or two) I would tend to focus on the two pound failure rather than the 38 lbs of success.
That's kind of what I do, too D: I become obsessed with that number, and if I do anything less, it drives me insane. I'm glad I'm not alone there.

Quote:
I like numbers, too. And I liked a specific goal on a weekly basis. Why not try percentages, as this might be a goal you can attain. Try for 1% per week. I think that is easily doable for someone who is determined to succeed.

Accepting whatever amount you lose is a big thing. You're doing a great job, so just keep doing what works and know you'll get to goal eventually.
I never thought to do percentages! That's a really great idea.

So I've decided to be aware of my weightloss, but not to obsess. Going to aim for 1% per week, and if I don't get it- everything will be okay! :s

Thanks everyone a whole bunch <3
Old 06-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #13  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Something I do that helps me stay focused is rewarding every 5 lbs lost, with a donut bead (I spend less than $1 per bead now that I buy them at JoAnn Fabric, Michael's, and Hobby Lobby).

I have 21 beads (representing 105 lbs). I also bought the bead that represents the next 5 lbs. I have it on a bead-ring that I found at Hobby Lobby. So every day I look at the bead on my hand that I'm trying to "earn." When I've hit my next 5 lbs (110 lbs lost) I will but the ring bead on my bracelet, and will buy a new bead to put on the ring to represent the next 5 lbs.

I also get motivation to work harder for my weight loss from my TOPS (take off pounds sensibly) group, which sponsors all sorts of contests for weight loss and healthy habits. It's fun, and the contests are low-pressure, but a lot of fun.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:36 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Something I do that helps me stay focused is rewarding every 5 lbs lost, with a donut bead (I spend less than $1 per bead now that I buy them at JoAnn Fabric, Michael's, and Hobby Lobby).

I have 21 beads (representing 105 lbs). I also bought the bead that represents the next 5 lbs. I have it on a bead-ring that I found at Hobby Lobby. So every day I look at the bead on my hand that I'm trying to "earn." When I've hit my next 5 lbs (110 lbs lost) I will but the ring bead on my bracelet, and will buy a new bead to put on the ring to represent the next 5 lbs.
That's really neat! I love the idea of rewarding weightloss with something other than food.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #15  
Workin for a New ankle

S/C/G: 256.8/ticker/155

Height: 5'7.5"

I love that bead idea! I am gonna steal it ;-)
Puffyamiyumifan is offline   Reply With Quote